Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Centura (S738C) now available.

Feedback Score
    Last night I purchased this phone from a local Walmart. I might be able to answer a few questions if anyone has any.

For one thing, the internal storage says "Total Space 2.75GB"

Phones
    E815 (retired)
    VX8600
    BB Tour
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeman View Post
    My friend works in Walmart electronics and he said they are getting 50 on Monday. He also said there getting the galaxy s 3 and att sim cards.

Sent from my LGL35G using HowardForums
    Really???? att sim cards?

Just to add fuel to the fire, I have spent a LOT of quality time on the phone with ST resolution center yesterday and today over a port from hell ( Net10 to Straight Talk no less) and the upshot was they will be sending me a new SIM card. The non-functioning card on ST was AT&T and when questioned, the Representative said the replacement will be AT&T also.

We will see.

/Control of this thread is being returned to the topic at hand/ Samsung Centura CDMA phone/

Phones
    Motorola EX431G
    Motorola EX431G
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I just ordered this phone and should receive it tomorrow. This I hope will be better than my Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise. I can't use 3g data on the Rise since all websites time out due to the horribly slow speeds. I gave up on trying to use that service so I switched to ST and just saw last night that they had a new phone and that it had android 4.0!! I sprung on it since it was only $99 (right in my price range). I'm glad it uses Verizon since mom has verizon and she has no problems with data on her phone here or anywhere we are in the city. So things are looking up! If you have questions about this phone I can do my best to answer them once I get the phone in my hand.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    att sims cards would be unexpected. maybe Elvis will be stocking that shelve. kidding hes dead

Phones
    ex-Sprint customer in limbo with Straight Talk
    Samsung Galaxy Centura (Android 4.0)
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Going from a Sprint Galaxy S2 to a ST Galaxy Precedent which I couldn't add ANY apps to, it was time to get a phone I could actually put some apps on. I picked up two of these yesterday to replace the $29.95 recon Precedents my wife and I have been suffering for the last few months.

MUCH better.

Unboxed it, went to the ST website, deactivated the old phones, waited for them to lose service, then activated these two. Piece of cake. Ran updates, updated apps, added new apps, changed some settings (wallpaper, sounds, brightness, etc), and was up and running in less time than it took to activate the Precedents back in March. The screen is responsive, being back on ICS is wonderful, and the only app I used before on the S2 that I can't use on this is Grand Theft Auto III. Oh well.

It was either this or spend twice as much on an LG Optimus Showtime. While the Showtime has a 4.3 inch screen, dual cameras, and a faster processor, I think this Centura will be just fine for awhile. I'm very happy and even the wife, who had downgraded from an iPhone 4S, is very happy. She can watch her TV shows on the Time Warner app again. She can get her Candy Crush Saga on. It's all good.

I think at $99 it's an OK price. It is better than a refurb Proclaim for $94 on Amazon. It is DEFINITELY better than a new Proclaim which is still priced at $150 on ST's website. I can't justify spending $439 for an S3 or $450 for an iPhone 4 8GB. They are nice great phones and they're fast and fun, but this Centura is just as capable, slower I suppose, but it can do 90% of what the high end stuff can. I can't say that about the Precedent for sure. The Proclaim might be somewhat capable. Some of the LG and Motorola phones in the $80-$200 range might be good choices too. But I think this Centura hits a sweet spot. Android 4.0, 3.5 inch responsive touchscreen, and cheap.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eskiho View Post
    Last night I purchased this phone from a local Walmart. I might be able to answer a few questions if anyone has any.

For one thing, the internal storage says "Total Space 2.75GB"
    How do you like it so far? I'm mostly concerned about call quality and battery life.

Also, has anyone had success activating it on Page Plus?

Phones
    Motorola EX431G
    Motorola EX431G
    Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenna View Post
    How do you like it so far? I'm mostly concerned about call quality and battery life.

Also, has anyone had success activating it on Page Plus?
    I'm not ravenna but I love my phone. The only issues I have are with the Facebook app. It sucks big time. It crashes a lot, bringing down other apps as well. Sometimes i have to force a reboot due to the freezing. So I'm uninstalling Facebook.

The Centura only works on Straight Talk.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmbridun View Post
    I'm not ravenna but I love my phone. The only issues I have are with the Facebook app. It sucks big time. It crashes a lot, bringing down other apps as well. Sometimes i have to force a reboot due to the freezing. So I'm uninstalling Facebook.

The Centura only works on Straight Talk.
    I don't use FB so that's not an issue for me. Thanks for the feedback!

Phones
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenna View Post
    I don't use FB so that's not an issue for me. Thanks for the feedback!
    I haven't managed to crash the STOCK FB app on my Centura. My wife however, downloaded the official FB Android app from the Play Store and it gives her fits, locks up, crashes, it's a mess. So I'm keeping the plain one and I'll live with the fact that my first news item every time I open it will be whining for me to download the official app.

I got an out of memory error from using the Zillow Rental app. After you view several properties and all the pics load, it runs out of memory and kills the app. It did save my favorites and I didn't lose my place, even the search terms stayed remembered when I opened the app again.

Phone is too slow to run the GTAIII app I bought for my Galaxy S2 earlier this year, it won't even install it on this phone.

My only complaint with the phone so far is when I'm trying to use it as a music player in my car, I wedge it between the ashtray and AC control and lay it down horizontally. That means I have a choice, either lay it on its left side and NOT be able to adjust the volume from the handset (use the car radio's volume instead) or lay it on its right side and be able to get to the volume buttons on the phone but then I can't wake it up with the power button to change songs. #firstworldproblems I ought to just get a piece of Velcro (one piece on back of phone case, one piece on dashboard to the right of the AC control) and be done with it so I can stand it upright during this sort of use.

That's another thing.

Nobody claims to have cases for the Centura (SCH-S738C) phones, or at least they didn't a month ago when I needed them. BUT you can use cases designed for the Discover (SGH-S730G). The following are the two I purchased on eBay...

soft black silicone case http://www.ebay.com/itm/230920589735
    hard metallic blue case http://www.ebay.com/itm/360660605229

Both fit perfectly and were less than $6 shipped to our door. There are similar deals on Amazon, just search "Galaxy Discover Case" or "S730G case" and you'll find them. You can also find them bundled with screen protectors and chargers and such.

Phones
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Call quality is great except with one friend who talks real quiet, I can't hear her even when I crank my volume up to the max. This might be different with a Bluetooth headset but I don't own one and have never used one so wouldn't know where to start. My wife has an old Jawbone something or other but she actually uses it with her iPod for dictation and listening to audiobooks.

Battery life is excellent for the most part. I use the phone all the time, FB, camera use, recording videos, using the browser, ordering pizza, texting with friends, texting with my wife, calling her, calling the kids, calling friends. On average for the last month, an overnight charge (7-8 hours connected to a USB port on my PC) gets me to the 100% sometime before I wake up. The phone during its heaviest usage only got down to 35% by the end of a day (1am, crawling in bed after leaving a bar). During moderate usage I only have to charge this phone overnight once every two days. I may throw it on for an hour in the evening to top it off before going out.

If FAST charging is your concern, remember it's a microUSB port. You can use a Blackberry Playbook charger (2 amps instead of the typical 0.7 amps coming from a stock charger), or grab the AmazonBasics version here:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-W...mp+usb+charger

Make sure to get the 2 amp USB cable as well.

Anyhow, when the phone drops below 15% it makes the now familiar, "hi there, I'm a Samsung product and I'm about to die" sound. Then at 10% it does it again and the screen dims a lot. My wife and I have both taken our phones down to 0% and let them die. It's probably not good for battery life but replacements are on Amazon, so who cares.

This is the battery model in my phone

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-EB4846...4659VA+battery

EB484659VA and it is 1500mAh in capacity, 3.7v, and 5.55 watt-hours.

I don't think we'll ever see extended life batteries available for these phones. Sad really, I loved the one I got for my S2, still have it and the thick backing plate. Gave me 2 days of use on that high end phone easily, sometimes 3 days if I wasn't using 4G a lot.

Phone
    Siemens S46
    Feedback Score
    On quadrant standard, the Centura scored a 1673. I only ran the test once. It scored just below the Samsung Nexus S. Is this good for an entry level device?
    We have seen the enemy and he is us.

Feedback Score
    It's been a while so I hope Wineberry is still around. I finally got around to running quadrant standard on our Proclaim and Showtime and I'll share the scores after a tell you how I ran the tests as I think that how you run the test is important.

So first I downloaded/installed the app then ran it once to be sure it worked. It's seemed to work fine on both phones so right after running the app I rebooted. Rebooting kills all the apps that are hanging around using up resources. After the phones boot I wait awhile until I'm sure that things have settled down on the phone. By this I mean the phones finished running it's scan on the SD card and finished checking with the mother ship to see if there are email, upgrades and doing all the other things a smart phones always seems to be doing. Then I run the test three times giving it a break between runs but not using any other apps except quadrant since the reboot. I ran quadrant three times and posted below the middle value of the three runs. I could have calculated a mean standard deviation and done some fancy statistical study but what the heck even I don't really care?

Proclaim 2100 Showtime 2140
    CPU 1396 2156*
    MEM 1909* 1400
    I/O 3986 5075*
    2D 786* 459
    3D 2351* 1767

So you can see the summary scores are nearly identical but I can tell you that the Proclaim in general feels faster than the Showtime. Not always, as there are times when it's speed can really surprise you but in general it seems slower. Even though the showtimes CPU is almost 50% faster than the Proclaim the Proclaim has faster memory and way faster graphics both 2D and 3D. The graphics is more than likely were all the speed comes from. I should mention that the Showtime has way more apps running even after a reboot than the Proclaim did and that may have slowed it down a bit.

So am I unhappy because the Showtime I use is slower than the Proclaim. No. I'd like it to be fast, heck if I'm dreaming I'd like it to be like an S 4. But the reason I switched from the Proclaim to the Showtime is that I wanted a bigger screen a better camera and to remain on the Verizon network. The Showtime gives me all three. I really like the 4.3" screen (the bigger screen probably accounts for the lower graphics scores, also the Showtime screen has 217ppi vs the Proclaims 160ppi) and the Showtimes 5 megapixel camera with AUTO FOCUS works fine. So yes I'm happy with the phone. Think it's over priced but then so is the Proclaim.

I have to admit I'm curious about the Centura and would be interested in seeing what the scores are if you ran the test like above.

Feedback Score
    I have loved my ST service and I was happy with my Samsung Galaxy Proclaim phone until it died getting ran over by a car, My new Samsung Galaxy Centura *(3) days old* is the biggest piece of electronic JUNK I have ever owned,

1) The Clock keeps subtracting 5 hours from the time (whether it is set manually or auto update time zone and time)

2) When I set ring tones to certain callers they ring for different callers - I have double and triple checked that they are set correctly.

3) I live where I get between 3 bars and full signal and today I had NO SIGNAL - had to Shut the phone off and restart it and wham... I have full signal again

4) The first day I had it and activated it I used it for hours.... then it went complete down and got no calls or texts (thank god my Google Voice messages get emailed messages to me letting me realize my phone did not work.... all texts were lost forever - after I re-activated the phone the previous texts never came.

Feedback Score
    Being so careless with your Proclaim must have angered the smart phone gods ; )

Feedback Score
    I got one of these for a friend said he needed it to take credit cards,so I hope this works with Square,it seemed to meet the specs with 4.0 and being that he'll use it for his Taxi cab driver should be a great inexpensive phone to use.Since its carried on verizon they get the best signal here in the hills where we live.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast