Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 311-660 in Denver

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

311-660 in Denver

Ive seen a few threads that mention people are picking up 311-660 in various markets and its supposed to be assigned to MetroPCS. Ive been picking it up at night occasionally in south Denver. Metro has never had a presence here and I picked it up well before the T-Mobile/MetroPCS deal was final. Anyone have any ideas?

I know LTE is scheduled to be lit up in Denver in June (I haven't seen any testing yet with my iPhone 5), but that network is puzzling. I also pick up AT&T, but it wont let me connect to it, just shows NO SERVICE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr3021 View Post
    Ive seen a few threads that mention people are picking up 311-660 in various markets and its supposed to be assigned to MetroPCS. Ive been picking it up at night occasionally in south Denver. Metro has never had a presence here and I picked it up well before the T-Mobile/MetroPCS deal was final. Anyone have any ideas?
    A few weeks ago, someone spotted it in Colorado Springs as well. My assumption is that MPCS was attempting to expand their home network into parts of Colorado prior to the merger. According to their coverage map they already have an "Extended Home Area" in Colorado.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Extended Home is just roaming on Sprints network with Unlimited talk text and data then TravelTalk is on Verizon

Phone
    Galaxy S4 16gb
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I picked it up in Csprings. The MetroPCS LTE is only coming from the one T-Mobile tower that is also hositng T-Mobile LTE. It appears that TMO is broadcasting both MCC/MNC's from their native equipment. Perhaps this is the first step to let MPCS customers onto the T-Mobile native network, even with a MPCS phone? I did read somewhere that T-Mobile was trying to work out a way to get VoLTE up so that MPCS customers with appropriate handsets could still use VoLTE on TMO's network. I think that was from tmonews.com, can't remember at the moment.

Now that I've got a bit of caffeine in me, This PC Magazine article quotes Neville Ray saying:
    For now, MetroPCS customers roaming outside MetroPCS cities will still make voice calls over Sprint's network, but T-Mobile is working on a "VoLTE path," which would route MetroPCS calls over T-Mobile LTE, Ray said.
    I speculate this is why we're seeing Metro's MCC/MNC coming from T-Mobile-native LTE sites.
    mmmmmm LTE

^DC-H+ ^ ---------------------------------------- ^LTE in Dallas, TX^
    Galaxy S4 16gb

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I also wanted to add that by 11:30 last night the network was gone from the search list. It seems only be at night and only for a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ac21365 View Post
    I picked it up in Csprings. The MetroPCS LTE is only coming from the one T-Mobile tower that is also hositng T-Mobile LTE. It appears that TMO is broadcasting both MCC/MNC's from their native equipment. Perhaps this is the first step to let MPCS customers onto the T-Mobile native network, even with a MPCS phone? I did read somewhere that T-Mobile was trying to work out a way to get VoLTE up so that MPCS customers with appropriate handsets could still use VoLTE on TMO's network. I think that was from tmonews.com, can't remember at the moment.

Now that I've got a bit of caffeine in me, This PC Magazine article quotes Neville Ray saying:

I speculate this is why we're seeing Metro's MCC/MNC coming from T-Mobile-native LTE sites.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 16gb
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jfr3021 View Post
    I also wanted to add that by 11:30 last night the network was gone from the search list. It seems only be at night and only for a few hours.
    Heh, I'd expect that kind of behaviour with unlaunched sites. There's only one site here that has broadcast LTE so far, but they seem to be broadcasting LTE from the tower located here nonstop. That said, I've only been able to connect to LTE twice, and only for 2-3 minutes each of those times. Who knows what they're up to :P

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    T-mobile announced a while back that the Metro PCS brand would be expanding to several new markets in short order after the merger. Denver was one of the announced markets; I would suspect that this is the first step of that expansion.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    LG Motion MS770
    Carrier
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    So these new service areas will only include LTE?
    If MetroPCS is interested in serving new markets in the meantime then they'll have to rollout CDMA on existing T-Mobile USA sites (when permitted) or drag the market rollout under 311-660 until VoLTE is deployed and forget about CDMA.

Secondly, the only way MetroPCS customers can utilize the T-Mobile network is to switch devices. I suspect that existing SIM cards could work, but what would more likely would occur is that new SIM cards will be issued with the MetroPCS label, and be programmed as 260 the home network.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 16gb
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Secondly, the only way MetroPCS customers can utilize the T-Mobile network is to switch devices. I suspect that existing SIM cards could work, but what would more likely would occur is that new SIM cards will be issued with the MetroPCS label, and be programmed as 260 the home network.

From what I understand, this is the plan. I'm also under the impression that T-Mobile has no plans of re-using Metro equipment, at least in areas where TMUS has already deployed NSN and Ericsson AIR equipment. So I think that's what we're seeing here: the planning stages of having Metro users 'roam' onto native TMUS equipment with the endgame of having Metro's customers completely on TMUS network in order to ultimately have them use a new TMUS branded device.

Phone
    iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

They appear to also have it broadcasting in Houston.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Phone
    iPhone 5S Gold
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand, this is the plan. I'm also under the impression that T-Mobile has no plans of re-using Metro equipment, at least in areas where TMUS has already deployed NSN and Ericsson AIR equipment. So I think that's what we're seeing here: the planning stages of having Metro users 'roam' onto native TMUS equipment with the endgame of having Metro's customers completely on TMUS network in order to ultimately have them use a new TMUS branded device.
    I'd reuse those RBS 6000's in areas that need them. The LTE network for MetroPCS is completely separate from MetroPCS's CDMA network.

The MetroPCS RBS 6000's support GSM, UMTS, and LTE.

http://www.ericsson.com/thecompany/p...010/09/1447673

RBS 6000 Base Station
    Unveiled at Mobile World Congress in 2008, Ericsson's RBS 6000 base station provides MetroPCS with flexibility and upgradeability. Along with LTE, the software-upgradeable base station supports Wideband CDMA (WCDMA), GSM and GPRS/EDGE.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 16gb
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post
    I'd reuse those RBS 6000's in areas that need them. The LTE network for MetroPCS is completely separate from MetroPCS's CDMA network.

Agreed. In areas where T-Mobile doesn't have WCDMA yet, it would make sense to upgrade backhaul to existing MPCS sites and just add WCDMA to the existing site. That's basically a free ticket to network expansion without the trouble of adding new sites and (completely new) base station infrastructure. I'm sure shuttering the legacy GSM equipment at those sites will be nice for T-Mobile's bottom line too.

Phone
    iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fraydog View Post

Wouldn't T-Mobile just need to add their panels with the radio integrated in? Or does metro use that.

Phone
    iPhone 5S Gold
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    Wouldn't T-Mobile just need to add their panels with the radio integrated in? Or does metro use that.

The AIR 21 panels contain multi-standard software defined radios so I'm pretty certain those can be used with Metro's LTE eNodeB's.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Small update : That MNC has been visible almost all day today in Denver. Before it was only a few hours at night. Maybe its purpose will be apparent soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast