Thread: Buying phone from Walmart as ATT customer

Feedback Score

Buying phone from Walmart as ATT customer

What is your experience with Walmart? Their prices are great but they're telling me that they would impose additional charges to discounted phones if I made changes to my ATT plan such as upgrading to a new plan or using the phone on another line within the account. Sounds like they want to control the device that I paid for. I'm thinking of just buying it on contract with ATT and not have to deal with the hassle.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    FWIW- did not run into anything like that at their "Sam's Club" counterpart, and they often undercut WM...

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    While I haven't bought from walmart, I have from best buy, amazon wireless, and other resellers. The main gotcha, is the etf policy of the seller, but as long as one keeps the phone, activated, there shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure, to read the contract. Also, I've always been concerned, that one of these sellers might change my grandfathered features, so I usually calla att to be sure should this occur, they can undo such changes.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBruins View Post
    What is your experience with Walmart? Their prices are great but they're telling me that they would impose additional charges to discounted phones if I made changes to my ATT plan such as upgrading to a new plan or using the phone on another line within the account. Sounds like they want to control the device that I paid for. I'm thinking of just buying it on contract with ATT and not have to deal with the hassle.
    You have not paid the full price for the telephone. You paid the subsidized price minus any rebates. The reseller makes its money from the commission it receives from the carrier. If you cancel your account or change the features before the commission is paid, the reseller suffers a loss which they mitigate through the extra fees charged to you.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how long before they get the commission's from ATT, didn't it used to be 3-6 months?

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    I wonder how long before they get the commission's from ATT, didn't it used to be 3-6 months?
    I imagine that these payments, regardless of when they are made, would be back charged, if the customer fails to full fill the terms of the contract. Thus, the retailer would hit the customer with the etf, again, per contract. ie, they will charge your credit card.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I imagine that these payments, regardless of when they are made, would be back charged, if the customer fails to full fill the terms of the contract. Thus, the retailer would hit the customer with the etf, again, per contract. ie, they will charge your credit card.
    Thats the thing, Amazon for example told you how long you had to keep the same plan, and I would think that it's in the mouse print with Walmart too.

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I used to buy almost exclusively from Wal-mart, as the price was typically $50-100 cheaper and they worked, at the time, under the same contractual rules as COR. I had done several types of transactions there that are outside the norm.

A few months ago we went to use the upgrade on one of of our lines. We explained everything to one employee who got the phone out and instructed another to finish our transaction. After they had already unboxed the phone completely and half way through the computer transaction they informed us that Wal-mart no longer allows for Cross-Upgrades. That is upgrading one line and actually using the device on another. Due to the needs of individuals on our plan we NEVER use the upgrade for a line to buy a phone for that line specifically. So we went to leave and a manager happened to see us leaving the fully unboxed phone and came to ask about it. He was apolegetic and could do nothing to remedy the situation.

It was explained that Walmart had altered their mobile phone policies about the same time they started building the dedicated "store-inside-a-store" mobile centers instead of having a kiosk in electronics (Atleast in the South here).
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.