Thread: Different APN settings?

Feedback Score

Different APN settings?

Why are there a number of different combinations of APN settings for the ATT sim? How are people discovering the different ones? I see some with proxies, etc. What is the purpose of using different APN settings than the one straight talk recommends?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    the apn settings have evolved and people have tired different combinations to improve data. for instance my att apn has only one entry. att.mvno. i do not use mms.

Feedback Score
    How do the different APN settings improve data? how do people discover different combos?

Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone $45 Walmart Plan
    Feedback Score
    idk how different apn affects speed but these apns have evolved over time, as mentioned above. some by painstaking trial and errors by users. some given by the st reps themselves (slightly different from their web posted apn).

i suggest trying a few and run your own test. then stick with what works for you!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    despite all my rage, i'm still just a rat in a cage!

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    the apn settings have evolved and people have tired different combinations to improve data. for instance my att apn has only one entry. att.mvno. i do not use mms.
    You are using a single APN whether you enter the settings for MMS or not. This has been exhaustively discussed in another thread.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    never said i was not using a single apn. the op was talking differences in apn. i also pointed out how mine was different. how i set mine up. i hope i was able to assist you understand my post better. poster mundane24 got it. no reason to discuss my post structure/content further. thank you

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The APN is still "att.mvno." What is different about your APN? You simply use different settings with the same APN.

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    there was a discussion here awhile back that the new straight talk apn was tracfone.mvno. this did not work for me.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The APN is still "att.mvno." What is different about your APN? You simply use different settings with the same APN.
    so you are curious what i meant. the reason my mention was how apns evolved. so my story...

i had upgraded my skyrocket to jellybean very very late one evening and set it aside and slept. next morning schedule took me out all day. i found i had no data. the upgrade had deleted the apn. i had no time to fool with phone so i pulled over long enough to enter what i could...all i could remember of the settings in the apn. i really needd my navigation so i created a new apn and entered att.mvno hit the save button and drove away. google nav started talking to me and as i drove i considered how simple that was. i never have adjusted anything. i use gv voice so mms would not work so those settings would not be used away. nothing in the settings but att.mvno period.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That is what was there before. The APN did not change. Without the proper APN, there will be no data connection. If you entered "wap.cingular" as the APN, it would not work because that APN is only acceptable for genuine AT&T accounts. Adding or removing a proxy or MMS settings does not change the underlying APN. The proxy and MMS setting are only necessary when actually sending or receiving MMS. The presence or absence of those have no effect upon whether you can make a data connection. The proxy may determine whether you can make connections to specific sites such as speed test servers but it does not block data in general.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    your answers are technical and complete but you miss the point many many times. i will not go further because it will just get deeper and deeper. op got his answer from several perspectives.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your help. I think I answered my own question after getting a new phone and fighting to get the MMS working.

I'm still confused as to why different APN settings are needed for different phones. Just a different settings are needed for different hardware?