Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kyocera Kona

Feedback Score
    What you are describing happened to people using the Kona on RingPlus. When the free service first started, people were activating anything. Well anyway at that time, RingPlus had no data and on every reboot of that phone, there were would be an updating PRL message. Eventually when there was data available on RingPlus, the message no longer appeared for Kona users. So if you do not have data, there does not appear anyway to get rid of the nag except manually hitting cancel. If you have data, then of course the update should work. The size of the update is most likely under 1mb.

Feedback Score
    I've tried to explain that to the boneheads that there must be a small amount of data use to update the PRL. I have a RingPlus Samsung Victory myself, and it has 10MB of free data. Never had an issue with this. I turned the data off after it activated and updated the PRL and checked for the firmware update. I think I used 1.44MB of data.

But VM tech support continues to argue with me on the KONA issue, and they will not add me 3-4 of MB to my account just where I can update this annoying PRL..... This specific account is an ASSURANCE WIRELESS account (free), but its still sponsored by VM/Sprint.

NOW . . . . I was curious, I ordered another one of these KONA'S from Walmart for $5.39, and acted like i was going to activate it on Virgin Mobile as a NEW activation........It activated **AND*** updated the PRL right off the bat. I never added any plan or data.....(Obviously, i wanted to prove a point, so just returned that one to Wal-Mart). So, it goes to show VM must allow a small amount of data for activation.).

Previously, I had been sent the Kyocera JAX, it activated and updated the PRL successfully.

SO.... WHAT IS IT ABOUT THIS KYOCERA KONA that will not update. (Has to be specifically THIS phone-----although it updated on VM).

ONE OTHER NOTE . . . . The KONA that will NOT UPDATE THE PRL is a "phone swap"....Meaning I changed from the JAX to the KONA....
    For some reason a straight "new activation" updates the PRL, yet swapping phones on an already existing account messes up.

I think this will forever be an issue. This is my mother's phone, and it confuses her about this update when she turns it on.

ANOTHER QUIRK with this KONA. I charged it up fully the other day, green "ready" light. Turned it off... Later in the day I turned it on, and as going to make a call, and the screen FLASHES RED, saying BATTERY CRITICAL, PLEASE CHARGE.... WHAT??? I just charged it 5 hours. The phone automatically turns off and would not turn back on. I plug it back into the charger for about 5 minutes, it shows a full charge by the bars indicator....... Did a battery pull.... Turned back on... Battery is fully. This is a STRANGE phone. Perhaps this wasn't a wise choice in phones for a "swap". ..................... I guess I will continue to argue with VM tech support.....

Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    What you are describing happened to people using the Kona on RingPlus. When the free service first started, people were activating anything. Well anyway at that time, RingPlus had no data and on every reboot of that phone, there were would be an updating PRL message. Eventually when there was data available on RingPlus, the message no longer appeared for Kona users. So if you do not have data, there does not appear anyway to get rid of the nag except manually hitting cancel. If you have data, then of course the update should work. The size of the update is most likely under 1mb.

Feedback Score
    ********************UPDATE************************ ***
    I convinced one of the Facebook support reps to TRY to give this a shot. He added 5MB of data to the account. I forced activated the phone again (##72786#), pulled the battery for a few, and turned on and re-activated..........AS I EXPECTED, the phone activated, UPDATED THE PRL, and check for a firmware update, rebooted, and it did not prompt for an update again........SO, THE KONA is used for Assurance Wireless ***MUST*** have data on the account to do the initial updates (and 4 Virgin Mobile reps told me naw, naw, naw, dont need data. This appears to be the EXACT same incident that happened to RingPlus+ folks in the beginning. Thanks to JUSTIN C. on the Virgin Mobile Social Media Team!

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (NO Contract !!!: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.33361/34.1153; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by greg4android
    I convinced one of the Facebook support reps to TRY to give this a shot. He added 5MB of data to the account. I forced activated the phone again (##72786#), pulled the battery for a few, and turned on and re-activated..........AS I EXPECTED, the phone activated, UPDATED THE PRL, and check for a firmware update, rebooted, and it did not prompt for an update again........SO, THE KONA is used for Assurance Wireless ***MUST*** have data on the account to do the initial updates (and 4 Virgin Mobile reps told me naw, naw, naw, dont need data. This appears to be the EXACT same incident that happened to RingPlus+ folks in the beginning. Thanks to JUSTIN C. on the Virgin Mobile Social Media Team!
    The same issue was occurring to an AW subscriber, but it did fix itself without any additional data added.
    The problem seems to have been related to a local service upgrade.
    The Kona in question was a New Purchase swapped for a separate Kona that had been stolen. The new Kona would not update and no data connect was established. VM/AW sent a replacement and it too did not connect to data for several days except the browser did "launch". After 10 days it started to function properly and access the web.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $35 / $1 | AT&T PREPAID: .25/Min

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greg4android View Post
    I had similar problems with my VM Assurance Kona, constant PLR updating nag screen. I added 5MB, reactivated and all is well! ;-) Besides adding web data to initialize this phone, be sure to turn on your cell phone data or it won't connect to the internet.

Feedback Score
    I just nagged Virgin Mobile long enough until they finally added 5MB to my account.. Once that happened, it updated, and haven't been reminded since.
    Amazing how VM agents will argue with you for days like they know it all, and a ordinary user has to convince them they're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ggolti View Post
    I had similar problems with my VM Assurance Kona, constant PLR updating nag screen. I added 5MB, reactivated and all is well! ;-) Besides adding web data to initialize this phone, be sure to turn on your cell phone data or it won't connect to the internet.

Device(s)
    Kyocera Kona
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The Kyocera Kona is my replacement phone for my Kyocera S2100. Both phones work great with Opera Mini 8. My S2100 had Google Maps as a preinstalled app. All attempts to download any other apps have failed thus far. Either times out, locks the phone or I get "access denied." The locked phone only happened once, trying to go back, with the back key. (take the battery out and put it back in, turn on the phone.) dertz.in seems to just time out or go blank. With umnet.net I get "access denied." And they do not know why. dertz.in was recommended by VM support.

Any info on this?

VM $30. plan is the best low cost plan. The Kyocera Kona S2150 is a very nice phone.

I haven't tried to download ringtones or graphics as yet.

Feedback Score
    My Kona has been freezing on me lately, the screen just going white and the buttons showing no response. After some time the screen comes back. After rebooting it boots up with the white screen sometimes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
    My Kona has been freezing on me lately, the screen just going white and the buttons showing no response. After some time the screen comes back. After rebooting it boots up with the white screen sometimes.
    Are you using more than one widget, or a live wallpaper? Those can help tie up the processor. Also, running more than one app at a time (just based on the same issues I had with my Hydro, and a dual core LG I have which runs slower when I use live wallpapers).

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
    call cs, they will send you a replacement device.

Device(s)
    Kyocera Kona
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    That's false advertising. According to Kyocera's site the Kona supports "CDMA2000® 1xRTT dual-band (800, 1900 MHz)" which is not 3G by any modern definition. Sprint Prepaid Group claims a lot of the 2G 1xRTT phones are 3G on the Virgin and Boost sites. It's not a big deal as Sprint EVDO is not much faster than their 1xRTT in most places but it's still wrong.
    The Kyocera kona S2151 is a Qualcomm 3G CDMA enabled phone. QUALCOMM 3G CDMA is printed on the phone. see: qualcomm dot com, ". . . CDMA2000 1X, the first and one of the most widely deployed 3G technologies. . . ."

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm only using the clock/calendar and a photo as background. Should have thought of calling them. Instead I got a new Kona from Amazon for $12.65 w/ shpg. + tax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2