Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Tmobile Coverage in Utah

Phone
    Apple Iphone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tmobile Coverage in Utah

It's been a while since I have posted on here but hopefully some of us from Utah will appreciate some outlook on to what is happening in the Utah market in regards to coverage. Overall T-mobile has done a good job in making sure that the major highways and cities are covered here but let's be honest there are some spots that are lacking. The northern part, like cache-Logan area and Bear Lake are still running GPRS equipment. Cache valley does have 2 or 3 4G towers but that's only when you are downtown that you can pick those up and because of the AWS signal not being as strong, the EDGE pcs signal is always the best. We haven't seen any refarmed towers past Ogden and was wondering if anyone has any good news on this getting worked on would be great.
    I also have put in a service order with tmobile a while back about coverage decline in the area and was told by the rep when they got back to me that they are preparing the towers for LTE in Utah but.. I doubt that will leave the major cities like Salt Lake for a couple years. Thanks for any insight!

Carrier
    U.S.: Verizon, T-Mobile USA; CH: Sunrise; D: Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    I recently ported some family from VZW to T-Mobile in the Salt Lake Area. Overall, T-Mobile service is the metro area is very good, especially when you factor in the cost saving. VZW voice quality is good (not spectacular, but not bad either) and you are very hard pressed to drop calls. T-Mobile voice quality is top-notch, but you do drop an occasional call. T-Mobile data in the metro area is very reliable - however, the picture changes drastically once you leave the metro area. On a recent trip from SLC - Vegas, I actually had to turn on wifi tether on my VZW phone so T-Mobile phones in the car had working data. EDGE, even in places like St. George or Cedar City, is pretty much completely useless. Despite the data issues, voice in those areas works very well. I really hope that T-Mobile starts upgrading some of these areas to UMTS/HSPA as, from a coverage perspective, they have done a fairly well job, at least in the populated areas. Now they just need to make data usable.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    HTC One M8/LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE/Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Phone
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy84094 View Post
    I recently ported some family from VZW to T-Mobile in the Salt Lake Area. Overall, T-Mobile service is the metro area is very good, especially when you factor in the cost saving. VZW voice quality is good (not spectacular, but not bad either) and you are very hard pressed to drop calls. T-Mobile voice quality is top-notch, but you do drop an occasional call. T-Mobile data in the metro area is very reliable - however, the picture changes drastically once you leave the metro area. On a recent trip from SLC - Vegas, I actually had to turn on wifi tether on my VZW phone so T-Mobile phones in the car had working data. EDGE, even in places like St. George or Cedar City, is pretty much completely useless. Despite the data issues, voice in those areas works very well. I really hope that T-Mobile starts upgrading some of these areas to UMTS/HSPA as, from a coverage perspective, they have done a fairly well job, at least in the populated areas. Now they just need to make data usable.
    I thought someone was posting that St. George, UT was being prepped for 4G a few months ago and they had some towers with new equipment on them?

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    I thought someone was posting that St. George, UT was being prepped for 4G a few months ago and they had some towers with new equipment on them?
    Last time I went through St. George, there was no modernized equipment. However, a number of cell sites in Central/Southern Utah have had AWS antennas for many years, despite on broadcasting EDGE... I am hoping that they are prepping HSPA and hopefully someone from the area can chime in.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    How's T-Mobile in Bear Lake in SE Idaho? Including Montpelier and Paris.
    Coverage wise I have not had an issue, but it's all GPRS/EDGE.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Last time I went through St. George, there was no modernized equipment. However, a number of cell sites in Central/Southern Utah have had AWS antennas for many years, despite on broadcasting EDGE... I am hoping that they are prepping HSPA and hopefully someone from the area can chime in.
    I think kies posted something about it several months ago, I don't know why they haven't turned on the equipment.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Coverage... it's all GPRS/EDGE.
    Sounds like our area lol Well, there is ONE bit of 3G/4G up now with them here, in Fort Bragg, why there first and not Ukiah, Willits, Clearlake or Lakeport I have no idea, but it's T-Mobile after all

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What about Cedar City?

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like our area lol Well, there is ONE bit of 3G/4G up now with them here, in Fort Bragg, why there first and not Ukiah, Willits, Clearlake or Lakeport I have no idea, but it's T-Mobile after all
    What are the speeds like? Is it Dual Carrier or Single Carrier and do you think they will have LTE online soon in that area?

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What are the speeds like? Is it Dual Carrier or Single Carrier and do you think they will have LTE online soon in that area?
    I don't know how the speeds are in Fort Bragg, but some people with T-Mobile in Eureka, another new 3G/4G area with T-Mobile said it's SLOW as molasses, maybe they're still adjusting it though. I can't see T-Mobile getting LTE here anytime soon, they are barely just upgrading our area to 3G/4G, with that only being in Fort Bragg, Eureka and Crescent City. LTE is here though, from Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Metro PCS, Verizon has by far the most, but Metro's network is 100% LTE, U.S. Cellular just started turning up LTE this year here. AT&T just turned up some LTE to my south in Sonoma County, the nearest LTE to me with them is 55 miles south, in Healdsburg, they do, however have HSPA in all the cities they cover up here, and HSPA+ w/EB in all towns EXCEPT Laytonville, with some EDGE in the outlying areas of course.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how the speeds are in Fort Bragg, but some people with T-Mobile in Eureka, another new 3G/4G area with T-Mobile said it's SLOW as molasses, maybe they're still adjusting it though. I can't see T-Mobile getting LTE here anytime soon, they are barely just upgrading our area to 3G/4G, with that only being in Fort Bragg, Eureka and Crescent City. LTE is here though, from Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Metro PCS, Verizon has by far the most, but Metro's network is 100% LTE, U.S. Cellular just started turning up LTE this year here. AT&T just turned up some LTE to my south in Sonoma County, the nearest LTE to me with them is 55 miles south, in Healdsburg.
    I would imagine if its new equipment they would have done a full upgrade and not half a**ed. It would be stupid for them to do that and then turn around 6 months later to go out of their way to upgrade something that was already "upgraded" a few months ago.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would imagine if its new equipment they would have done a full upgrade and not half a**ed. It would be stupid for them to do that, and then turn around 6 months later to go out of their way to upgrade something that was already "upgraded" a few months ago.
    I sure hope so!

Edit-Metro PCS has much less coverage than T-Mobile in NW CA, though it is all LTE, so that at least can give them some instant LTE in towns like Ukiah, Clearlake, Lakeport and the Eureka area.

Feedback Score
    I used the new HSPA in Fort Bragg for a couple hours a few weeks ago. It seems to be single channel HSPA and the speeds are not all that fast. Having said that, it was usable and much better than EDGE. Perhaps they'll start sending out old AWS equipment to these rural locations that aren't getting LTE any time soon.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by desertflyer View Post
    I used the new HSPA in Fort Bragg for a couple hours a few weeks ago. It seems to be single channel HSPA and the speeds are not all that fast. Having said that, it was usable and much better than EDGE. Perhaps they'll start sending out old AWS equipment to these rural locations that aren't getting LTE any time soon.
    They probably need to arrange some backhaul seeing how this was a GPRS/EDGE area. I think someone was saying that they are basically throwing the old equipment away, which I guess kinda makes sense because at some point they will eventually upgrade every tower because the equipment is going to break or they decide to become more competitive in rural areas that are already served.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast