Thread: Transfer Safelink phone/SIM to Tracfone service?

Carriers
    Page Plus/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Transfer Safelink phone/SIM to Tracfone service?

Long story made short my mom has an old LG 300G she got through Safelink some years back that has long since been deactivated. It still functions barring lack of service so is just collecting dust at this point. My brother currently needs a basic phone so I am looking into seeing if it is possible to re-use it and place it on Tracfone service instead. Or has anyone even attempted this before? I would keep it on Safelink but it is just easier for me to pay outright for Tracfone service than fight with Safelink and their approval process.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vchat20 View Post
    My brother currently needs a basic phone so I am looking into seeing if it is possile to re-use it (a Safelink LG300) and place it on Tracfone service instead. Or has anyone even attempted this before?
    Yes, it is done all the time but you must get a new sim for it. The sim is free from Tracfone. Once you get a new sim for it, just add a Tracfone airtime card and it will activate on Tracfone service.
    Last edited by annepani; 05-08-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Carriers
    Page Plus/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    Yes, it is done all the time but you must get a new sim for it. The sim is free from Tracfone. Once you get a new sim for it, just add a Tracfone airtime card and it will activate on Tracfone service.
    Thanks. I actually got a PM from Alex a short bit ago about this confirming that it is possible. And your post makes it a little bit easier to understand in my feeble brain. My initial confusion was when I tried to do the activation procedure on Tracfone's site and entering the IMEI kept telling me to contact Safelink. I am currently conferring with TF by email on this so will try not to confuddle things further in this thread but I am guessing the new SIM will fix that activation issue?