Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon iPhone 4 to a prepaid carrier?

Feedback Score

Verizon iPhone 4 to a prepaid carrier?

I apologize if this has been asked and answered 100 times. The search results I got were ambiguous and some information was older and has seemed to change. Thanks in advance for bearing with me and for any assistance.

Background:

My mother is currently using my old BB Bold on a Verizon postpaid plan. She is grandfathered in to a few decent features. She has the 65+ plan for $30/mo, 250 messages for $5/mo, and the very short-lived $15 BB data plan which allows her maybe 250MB/mo. Her bill is $50 plus taxes, so just about $60/mo.

The bold is starting to have issues. She isn't under contract. She loves her ipad and would like to switch to an iPhone. If she does, she has to give up the BB data plan and go to a $30/mo plan which would bring her bill close to $75/mo.

She uses about 200 minutes per month. Probably 75 text messages and she would use very little data - as it will mostly be email and (hopefully if I can teach her) iMessage.

I have one of my old Verizon CDMA iPhone 4 sitting on one of my docks and I am using it as an iPod. I would love to giver her this phone. But for her miniscule amount of usage - I can't see her burdened with a $75/mo phone bill.

Are there any prepaid carriers that I can take this non SIM card, CDMA, iPhone 4 to? I would rather not jailbreak and flash, etc...

I suppose I can sell the Verizon 4 and buy her an iPhone on one of the prepaid carriers but I am looking for the least expensive and easiest path to do this.

Thanks again for answering a question that has been asked many times.

Phones
    nexus 5
    nexus 5
    Carrier
    t-mobile business account
    Feedback Score
    yes u can now take it to straight talk byod verizon.... and you can take it to pageplus

Feedback Score
    I looked at ST and their byod program seemed to be limited to unlocked gsm phones. Perhaps (very likely) I missed something?

Carriers
    H2O Wireless - AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    PagePlus The 12 plan would be perfect for her. $12/month for 250 minutes/250 text/10 MB data (data overage is 10c/MB).

Yes, people soon will comment on how the $29.95 plan for 1200 minutes/3000 text/250 MB data will be 'safer' because of smart phones data usage, etc. But I just extremely dislike the concept of paying thousands more minutes than one absolutely need, and I'd rather just deal with overage if needed.

It's super easy, just call PagePlus support number and ask to activate a line with the plan above, giving them the phone's ESN/MEID number. You don't need to tell them what the phone is (they don't officially support iPhones, but a lot of people do, without any problem whatsoever).

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwest View Post
    yes u can now take it to straight talk byod verizon
    As far as I know that program was canceled almost a month ago. It was only up for a a couple of weeks.

Feedback Score
    I'm glad I'm not the only one confused bout this

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    One more vote for PagePlus. It uses the Verizon network, so if she's getting good coverage now with Verizon she will get good coverage with PagePlus.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to those who suggested PagePlus. I looked at some reviews and they are most certainly not favorable. Now I realize people are much quicker to post a negative review than a positive one - but does anyone have actual positive experience with PagePlus?

Thanks again

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wx1svr View Post
    Thanks to those who suggested PagePlus. I looked at some reviews and they are most certainly not favorable. Now I realize people are much quicker to post a negative review than a positive one - but does anyone have actual positive experience with PagePlus?
    Not sure where you read these reviews or how old they are, but PagePlus is extremely popular these days. They have been growing and improving in the past couple of years. This particular forum (General Prepaid) is actually the best place for you to ask because we're mostly carrier agnostic. PagePlus also has its own forum here in HoFo that you can check out but as you can imagine some of the people who post there are a little biased

At any rate. Yes, they're good

Feedback Score
    Page Plus, Next G, Talk for Good and Verizon prepaid are your Vz iphone 4 options with Verizon coverage. Other networks can accomodate it via flashing (Cricket for one) but with much less coverage.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wx1svr View Post
    does anyone have actual positive experience with PagePlus?
    I have used Page Plus for a couple years. It has been as reliable as T-Mobile was in a major city. T-Mobile started dropping calls after I moved, and Cricket had dismal service when I tried them, but otherwise I've never had issues with the cellular providers I've used. There are a few quirks with some of the details to the Page Plus service, so it doesn't hurt to read about the service before trying it, but considering the number of local dealers, clearly I'm not the only person pleased with their buisiness. Personally I would only recommend Page Plus and Verizon prepaid at this time, since the other Verizon MVNOs are probably still less than 9 months old, but Page Plus should be cheaper than Verizon Prepaid for a smartphone with limited data usage.
    https://www.pagepluscellular.com/dealers/

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I will do some reading on page plus. Clearly Verizon prepaid is an option but it doesn't seem to save that much and the port process from postpaid to prepaid seems like a nightmare.

Feedback Score
    OK - went online last night and activated my old iPhone 4 via the Page Plus website. No problems at all and it seems to be working well. I'm going to try it out for a week or two before porting her number out of Verizon but so far, so good.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Feedback Score
    I just talked with ST and PagePlus. ST said they cannot activate Verizon CDMA iphone 4 and PagePlus said they can activate Verizon phones, but not iphones.

Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by txkcraig View Post
    I just talked with ST and PagePlus. ST said they cannot activate Verizon CDMA iphone 4 and PagePlus said they can activate Verizon phones, but not iphones.
    If you read the thread, I already mentioned this. PagePlus does not officially support iPhones, so if you want to activate an iPhone, you don't tell them that it's an iPhone, just give them the ESN/MEID. If you specifically ask them about it, they *have* to tell you that they cannot activate iPhones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast