Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sim Unlock for Nokia Lumia 521? Nope!

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Google Nexus 4
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Angry Sim Unlock for Nokia Lumia 521? Nope!

I submitted my SIM unlock request via fax and received an email reply saying: "According to our records, the IMEI given does not correspond to the model of phone shown in the request."

Um, BULL---- T-Mobile! I included in the 1-page fax the full purchase receipt from Walmart and IMEI label from the box, which matched the label inside the battery compartment of the phone and also by pressing *#06# on the dialer. Has anyone been able to SIM unlock their Nokia Lumia 521 via T-Mobile? Maybe because their IMEI database hasn't been updated yet?

================================================== =================

T-Mobile Sim Unlock Request
    Sim Unlock Reference: XXXXXXX
    IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. According to our records, the IMEI given does not correspond to the model of phone shown in the request. To ensure that we are giving you the correct code, please verify the IMEI by pressing *#06# on the handset. Once this is obtained, please submit a new request with the following information:

1. T-Mobile account and mobile number (required)
    2. IMEI number, press *#06# on handset to get the IMEI (required)
    3. Contact number or email address
    4. Make and model of the phone
    5. Carrier's name (if the phone came from another carrier)
    6. A brief reason for the request
    7. Dealer Code (if the request is from a dealer on behalf of a customer)

Note: We do not have access to unlock codes for equipment purchased outside of the US or Canada.

Thank You,
    Sim Unlock Department
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I spoke with a rep over the phone, and he had to re-submit mine since there is a different procedure for subsidized phones versus those purchased at retail. He also was surprised that I was calling about a Nokia Lumia 521 since his system said otherwise. I told him that it's a new phone, and he said that it will probably take longer (up to 14 days) to get the unlock code since the phone is so new.

Phone
    Nokia_Lumia_520, Apple_iPad_Air
    Carrier
    AT&T_GP, VZW_Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by windohs View Post
    I spoke with a rep over the phone, and he had to re-submit mine since there is a different procedure for subsidized phones versus those purchased at retail. He also was surprised that I was calling about a Nokia Lumia 521 since his system said otherwise. I told him that it's a new phone, and he said that it will probably take longer (up to 14 days) to get the unlock code since the phone is so new.
    Any update on this yet?

Have they been able to unlock the Lumia 521 for you yet?
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Feedback Score
    I was told I had to wait a week. I waited a week and then submitted. Got an email that they wouldn't process it until i was a customer for 60 days and had spent at least $50.01 in refills since I received the phone (so nothing before this device counts) and to try back again when I had fulfilled that requirement.

TMo coverage sucks in my area and I had a SIM on the $30 plan I've kept for a few months, but was looking to let it expire in June, when my current refill expires. Has anyone found had any luck with a third party service? Found cellunlocker.net, but they want $40. For the price of that and the phone ($135+$40), I'd rather just get a Lumia 920. I can find them on CL every so often for $250.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Update: No sim unlock from T-Mobile until I have a week of active phone usage (60 days+ as a customer have passed).

I tried going through cellunlocker, but they said it would take up to 2 weeks due to a delay with their database and offered a refund.
    Current: iPhone 5S, 32 GB in Space Grey
    Backup: Nokia Lumia 521
    Previous (Newest -> Oldest): iPhone 4S, Blackberry Bold 9930, Blackberry Bold 9650, iPhone 4, HTC Droid Incredible, Palm Pre Plus, Samsung Alias 2, LG VX8300, LG VX8100, LG VX8100, LG VX6000 (First phone!)

Feedback Score
    Update: No sim unlock from T-Mobile until I have a week of active phone usage (60 days+ as a customer have passed).

I tried going through cellunlocker, but they said it would take up to 2 weeks due to a delay with their database and offered a refund.
    I was told the following:
    1. 60 days of active usage on device
    2. Must have $50.01 or more in accumulative refills since activation.

I took that to mean that I had to be a customer with an active account on the 521 for 60 days. Not just 60 days as a customer in general. And that I must also have spent $50.01 in refills since getting the 521.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Google Nexus 4
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I qualified with the exception that they claim that my IMEI doesn't exist in their database. I even included in my fax unlock request a copy of the box bottom with serial number, model, and IMEI!

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The phone doesn't "officially" come out until May 20th, so it is possible that they don't have this phone yet in their databases. I will try later this week for the unlock after my IMEI registers a week of usage in their system, and report it here.

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    We had this discussion over in the non-prepaid T-Mobile forum and I think the basic consensus the phone isn't in T-Mobile's database yet. I bought a 521 this weekend and took it to a T-Mobile store and it wasn't in their database so he had to do a generic sim activation instead of how they would usually do their own phones(affects how they add features or something).

Phone
    Nokia_Lumia_520, Apple_iPad_Air
    Carrier
    AT&T_GP, VZW_Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsharitt View Post
    We had this discussion over in the non-prepaid T-Mobile forum and I think the basic consensus the phone isn't in T-Mobile's database yet. I bought a 521 this weekend and took it to a T-Mobile store and it wasn't in their database so he had to do a generic sim activation instead of how they would usually do their own phones(affects how they add features or something).
    So, is it now unlock-able?? or is it still no go on this????

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    So, is it now unlock-able?? or is it still no go on this????
    if you buy it from a third party retailer you need to wait at least 7 days before you can submit your unlock request. The IMEI will be in their system by then.

But, just because you submit the request doesn't mean they'll grant it. You'll still need to purchase $50.01 in refills on that device and wait 60 days before it will be unlocked. This means if you buy it, the cheapest you can get it unlocked is $140 for the phone (including taxes) and $60 in refills, since most of us will use the $30/mo 5GB plan, and 60 days of your time. So however much your time is worth to you.

I returned my Lumia 521 in 13 days. I had hoped having a AWS device would show me that TMobile's coverage in my area isn't really that bad. I was wrong. Significant pockets of EDGE in the metro Charlotte area, and even in uptown Charlotte itself. The 522 essentially killed any interest I had in switching to TMobile. On top of that, in the two weeks I had the 532, I had numerous problems with it locking up and requiring a battery pull to get it going again. Just not a very reliable device.

Even with that, if TMo had unlocked it, I would have kept it. I did happen to find a great deal on a Lumia 920 used. $225 for one in almost new condition. If you're on AT&T and you're looking at picking the 521 up to try WP8 on the cheap, consider looking for a used 920 instead. The cost will only be marginally more than getting a 521 unlocked and you get double the RAM, LTE, a front facing camera, a dual LED flash, a larger and higher resolution screen and the 8.7MP camera with OIS. Well worth the extra $25 I spent, IMO.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Update: still denied even over a week of active usage

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G 16gb
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried cellunlocker.net? The phone is listed on their site drop down list but I have emailed them twice to make sure but haven't got a response
    "Raising the bill"

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biggdaddyt View Post
    Has anyone tried cellunlocker.net? The phone is listed on their site drop down list but I have emailed them twice to make sure but haven't got a response
    Yes, and they said it would take an extra few weeks to process due to needing additional database access for the unlock code.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biggdaddyt View Post
    Yes, and they said it would take an extra few weeks to process due to needing additional database access for the unlock code.
    Don't bother with cellunlocker. I submitted an unlock request with them on 5/4, 2 weeks later they said there would be a delay as they had to check other databases, and today I got an email with a refund and a reply that stated they couldn't unlock it.

Note from merchant
    sorry we cannot unlock this phone at this time as we have tried multiple databases, please check in a couple weeks our sincere apologies

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast