Thread: Are we able to switch plans with Ptel?

Feedback Score

Are we able to switch plans with Ptel?

I've read that once you port your number to a SIM and pick either the one of the unlimited monthly plans ($40 or $50) or go with the paygo you can not switch plans without activating a new SIM and even them Ptel is not able to transfer your ported number from old SIM to new SIM. Is this correct?

Does anyone have experience with doing this with Ptel?

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtrance View Post
    I've read that once you port your number to a SIM and pick either the one of the unlimited monthly plans ($40 or $50) or go with the paygo you can not switch plans without activating a new SIM and even them Ptel is not able to transfer your ported number from old SIM to new SIM. Is this correct?Does anyone have experience with doing this with Ptel?
    Why don't you call them and ask. What you are asking has probably not happened very often yet. Whether anyone here has tried to do it and will read your message is a toss up.

Feedback Score
    Switching plans is possible. You have to call or chat with customer service to achieve this. It usually takes about 24 hours.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using HowardForums

Phones
    too many to list
    virgin mobile blackberry curve 8530
    Page Plus Droid X2 and Droid 3
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah that's kinda of stupid you should be able to change plans online without the need to call or chat and wait 24 hours, one thing I like about t mobile is the ability to swith between plans when ever you want instantly I wish ptel would get with the program the best thing to do is get another sim like I do, I have one for pay go and one for unlimited plan.

Sent from my lg optimus l9 using tapatalk 2
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    I've read that once you port your number to a SIM and pick either the one of the unlimited monthly plans ($40 or $50) or go with the paygo you can not switch plans without activating a new SIM and even them Ptel is not able to transfer your ported number from old SIM to new SIM. Is this correct?

Does anyone have experience with doing this with Ptel?
    I activated a sim to testdrive the service without initiating a port request as I wasn't sure if PTel was a good fit for me. After I decided to move to Ptel I tried to do exactly as you describe and was told I needed a new sim to port my number. Tried about 3 different CSR and all gave me the same answer. So I gave up and got a new sim and ported in.

As far as changing plans you can change plans but have to call in. When I was on Tmobile prepaid I changed my plans online to the daily plans to get data. Since Ptel PAGO includes data, it's not a big deal to me. I am not sure if many people would be switching often between PAGO and Montlhy plans but I see some people wanting to switch between the 40 and 50 plans. They should give us the choice to do online.

Carrier
    Platinumtel
    Feedback Score
    Just did a few weeks ago said 24h but took about 3h

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop-Chop View Post
    I activated a sim to testdrive the service without initiating a port request as I wasn't sure if PTel was a good fit for me. After I decided to move to Ptel I tried to do exactly as you describe and was told I needed a new sim to port my number. Tried about 3 different CSR and all gave me the same answer. So I gave up and got a new sim and ported in.

As far as changing plans you can change plans but have to call in. When I was on Tmobile prepaid I changed my plans online to the daily plans to get data. Since Ptel PAGO includes data, it's not a big deal to me. I am not sure if many people would be switching often between PAGO and Montlhy plans but I see some people wanting to switch between the 40 and 50 plans. They should give us the choice to do online.
    This is what I want to do as well. I got a SIM from Ebay, but no top up card with it. I want to test out their service for a bit before making the switch and porting my number over to them. How long did it take to port your number? You did the porting process online from their activation link correct?

So when you were activating the SIM the first time without initiating the port did you just have a SIM only and call them to get like a $10 paygo top up card PIN to complete your SIM activation and test the service? After using the service is the voice quality, coverage, sms/mms all working good for you similar to your Tmobile prepaid? No issues with sending or receiving sms/mms with Ptel?

Yes if you activate a SIM without doing the port right from the beginning they will not be able to port to that activated SIM later on. They told me I had to get a new SIM and initiate the port from the beginning when activating the SIM. So when you got your 2nd SIM you just went thorough the process online, but this time you picked the "port option" instead of "need new number" at the activation link? So at one point you had 2 SIMs that were activated and you could use either one, but for the first one you just used up all the minutes and did not do anything with it and it will cancel out correct? I'm just wondering if we do 2 SIMs with same account will there be an issues?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I did what you describe. I got a $10 pin from callingmart and activated a SIM and got a new number. I later activated a new SIM and chose the option to port in a number. Everything done via web. They open a service ticket and email you status of the port. The Port took a few hours. They said 10 hours, but the number was working ~3-4 hours when I checked it.

As far as I can tell you can only have one line per account. Your account login is your phone number.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakatard View Post
    I did what you describe. I got a $10 pin from callingmart and activated a SIM and got a new number. I later activated a new SIM and chose the option to port in a number. Everything done via web. They open a service ticket and email you status of the port. The Port took a few hours. They said 10 hours, but the number was working ~3-4 hours when I checked it.

As far as I can tell you can only have one line per account. Your account login is your phone number.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Where did you port your number from? Tmobile post paid? Tmo prepaid? Other carrier? If from Tmobile postpaid was your PIN your last 4 SS# that needs to be inputted online for the port to complete? When we do it online there is no need to fax any forms to them correct?

So there is no issue with activating more than I SIM correct? The account info is tied to the phone so each time it will be a different phone#, thus different account, but you can use same name/billing address/etc. correct?

Did you deplete the first SIM before activating the second SIM and porting or it does not matter?

By the way how are you liking the service? Are you on the paygo or 40/50 unlimited plans?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I ported from a Tmobile prepaid account. I did not need to provide anything more than the account # (phone number) and the PIN, which I had previously reset since I didn't know what it was. For prepaid Tmobile you can reset your pin via the automated customer service number.

I currently have two SIMs active. They each have their own separate login. They don't require an address, just name, zipcode and contact email. I have an address in one account, and I left the other one blank.

I still have a small balance on my original SIM. It will expire eventually since it was only $10 and that should only be good for 60 days of access.

I am using Paygo. I moved a backup number i've had forever. Everything works fine so far. You need their APN to get MMS to work. Tmobile has good coverage in my area.

The main thing for me was that I can do conditional forwarding, so I can now forward calls to my Google Voice account. Tmobile prepaid did not support this. It does use minutes though.

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    T How long did it take to port your number? You did the porting process online from their activation link correct?
    Porting took about < 6 hrs. They send you an email notification when it's in process and an estimated porting time but they overstate the time it takes. I did the porting online. I wanted to do via CSR but they sent me to the website

So when you were activating the SIM the first time without initiating the port did you just have a SIM only and call them to get like a $10 paygo top up card PIN to complete your SIM activation and test the service?
    I purchased the 20 dlls special they had recenlty (they may still have it). It came with a sim and pin for 40 dollars.

After using the service is the voice quality, coverage, sms/mms all working good for you similar to your Tmobile prepaid? No issues with sending or receiving sms/mms with Ptel?
    Everything worked exactly as what I had on Tmobile prepaid PAGO but much cheaper. No issues. Just needed to change the APN.

So when you got your 2nd SIM you just went thorough the process online, but this time you picked the "port option" instead of "need new number" at the activation link? So at one point you had 2 SIMs that were activated and you could use either one, but for the first one you just used up all the minutes and did not do anything with it and it will cancel out correct? I'm just wondering if we do 2 SIMs with same account will there be an issues?
    Yes I had 2 sims active at one point. After the porting from my Tmobile line was done on the second sim, I had to call to get the balance on the 1st sim transferred to the 2nd sim as I had >35 bucks left on the 1st one. I guess that other sim still active but will get closed down eventually.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop-Chop View Post
    Yes I had 2 sims active at one point. After the porting from my Tmobile line was done on the second sim, I had to call to get the balance on the 1st sim transferred to the 2nd sim as I had >35 bucks left on the 1st one. I guess that other sim still active but will get closed down eventually.
    Didn't know you could transfer the balance. I emailed them and they took care of it. I just needed to send them the two SIM numbers to verify. I now have the remainder of the $10 from my first SIM added to the account I ported my number to. Great!