Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Metro PCS 4G LTE markets vs. T-Mobile 2G EDGE markets; outcome?

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

Metro PCS 4G LTE markets vs. T-Mobile 2G EDGE markets; outcome?

What is going to happen to markets where T-Mobile has EDGE but Metro PCS has 4G LTE?

Take for example: California's High Desert. Metro has LTE coverage from Barstow, California, to Las Vegas, but T-Mobile is mostly EDGE (exception is a small blip of 3G near Primm, Nevada).

Surely, T-Mobile won't decommission LTE and replace those markets with EDGE? I think at this point taking down LTE to replace it with HSPA+ will be a small step backward.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    They'd probably build out some HSPA or maybe they would go straight to LTE, since as we saw in Vegas, the LTE Metro devices are now capable of running on the T-Mobile LTE network.

If T-Mobile doesn't have HSPA in those areas they're probably not in a big hurry to dismantle the MPCS network anyway. They're lower populated, so T-Mobile likely isn't under a spectrum crunch. They can leave it up and running until they have a chance to upgrade those areas with T-Mobile equipment.

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    They'd probably build out some HSPA or maybe they would go straight to LTE, since as we saw in Vegas, the LTE Metro devices are now capable of running on the T-Mobile LTE network.

If T-Mobile doesn't have HSPA in those areas they're probably not in a big hurry to dismantle the MPCS network anyway. They're lower populated, so T-Mobile likely isn't under a spectrum crunch. They can leave it up and running until they have a chance to upgrade those areas with T-Mobile equipment.
    Will T-Mobile be able to get on it? Need to flash my old radio onto the nexus so I can check

Sent from my Nexus 4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    Will T-Mobile be able to get on it? Need to flash my old radio onto the nexus so I can check

From comments made by tmobile execs, they don't have plans to allow tmobile customers to go on the MPCS network.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I've been trying to find the answer to this for about a week now, and I was surprised that lots more people haven't been asking this question, especially since here in Georgia T-Mobile's HSPA network seems to be about half the size of Metro's LTE network.

I'm not sure if this is happening elsewhere, but in your California example it seems to be.

I have been wanting to use T-Mobile again, but I won't punish myself to 2G. Metro has LTE in my area, all you have to do T-Mobile is use it.

Feedback Score
    Well part of the issue is that T-Mobile LTE devices will not do voice over LTE that MPCS LTE devices do. Thus, they'd have to engineer it so that T-Mobile customer uses data on MPCS LTE and then falls back to T-Mobile GSM for voice calls. I don't know how complicated that would be to do, but considering how few T-Mobile LTE devices are in use currently, it may be more work than T-Mobile wants to do for a small number of customers, for a network that will be dismantled fully in two years anyway.

It appears their goal is to go the other direction and start selling MPCS branded GSM/HSPA/LTE devices to MPCS customers and getting them over to the T-Mobile network. It may require them to at least upgrade to HSPA in some areas that have been mentioned so that the MPCS customers won't be upset with their new devices.

Carriers
    Sprint
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm wondering the same thing.

In my area, Metro LTE is larger than T-Mobile whole network (Metro LTE is even larger than TMOs Edge network)

Metro LTE covers entire medium-sized cities that T-Mobile doesn't cover at all (no 3G, no edge, nothing)

Additionally, there are two cities worth of coverage that T-Mobile used to allow roaming in, but just last week, T-Mobile has blocked all roaming. These areas have full Metro LTE, but no coverage at all from T-Mobile, and now they blocked roaming too.

Very disappointed so far.

- -

I think they could at least allow data over Metro LTE. Wifi calling phones could use the LTE for calls and text with no real work on T-Mobile's part.

Feedback Score
    They first have to get all Metro customers OFF that network, which is supposed to by planned by the end of 2015 from previous estimates. Then they can switch they have to start selling devices that support Metro spectrum, probably by the end of this year beginning of next.

Carrier
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by s99nj View Post
    They first have to get all Metro customers OFF that network, which is supposed to by planned by the end of 2015 from previous estimates. Then they can switch they have to start selling devices that support Metro spectrum, probably by the end of this year beginning of next.
    I thought Metro used the same frequency (AWS) for LTE as T-Mobile? I don't see why they couldn't just let Metro users carry on using the network while also allowing T-Mobile users access to it. I'm not sure how all that works though.

Redwood Valley, Northwestern California (Previous-Pocatello, Idaho(90-97)/Southern California(71-90)
    Phone
    LG G3/LG G Pad 7.0LTE/Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    AT&T/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know too, since our market of RSA 344 (Mendocino, Lake Counties) is 100% LTE with Metro PCS, but, other than a bit of 3G turned on recently in Fort Bragg (single carrier and SLOW) is basically all EDGE. While T-Mobile obviously has more coverage, it's a LOT slower, and where Metro PCS does have service it's all 4G. Verizon is almost done with the LTE rollout here, and U.S. Cellular has started rolling out LTE en masse here this year. The closest AT&T LTE to me is 55 miles south in Healdsburg, but AT&T is almost all HSPA+ up here (there are still patches of EDGE around, but they are in the minority now), having it in ALL the towns and cities they cover, with Enhanced Backhaul being in all of those towns BUT Laytonville. So, if T-Mobile is smart they will integrate Metro PCS's LTE into their network, it would give them LTE in the more populated areas, and it would give them some time to start on their own LTE rollout, whenever that is.

Carriers
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    The Ericsson equipment (used for LTE) can be easily reused for HSPA+/LTE. After all, many of the Ericsson cell sites for MetroPCS use the RBS 6000 system (the same system T-Mobile uses). The MetroPCS Ericsson cell sites using the RBS 6000 system can be easily integrated into the T-Mobile network. A simple software upgrade would reconfigure to GSM/HSPA+/LTE services. The tricky bit would be backhaul. T-Mobile will still need to upgrade the backhaul to offer better bandwidth and lower latency.

However, Alcatel-Lucent equipment cannot be easily integrated into the T-Mobile network. It will have to be decommissioned. Fortunately, most of the Alcatel-Lucent equipment is for CDMA services, and can be maintained separately and turned down as CDMA usage drops off in markets.

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin520 View Post
    I thought Metro used the same frequency (AWS) for LTE as T-Mobile? I don't see why they couldn't just let Metro users carry on using the network while also allowing T-Mobile users access to it. I'm not sure how all that works though.
    I don't get it either.
    I was hoping T-Mobile would simply allow its customers to use the existing network and just add used or unused AWS spectrum from T-Mobile as time goes by to beef up the existing MetroPCS LTE network in my area which runs on a 2x5 MHz configuration. I can't see any impediment unless there are billing, routing, and handover issues.

Phone
    iPhone 5S Gold
    Carrier
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan Kudo View Post
    The Ericsson equipment (used for LTE) can be easily reused for HSPA+/LTE. After all, many of the Ericsson cell sites for MetroPCS use the RBS 6000 system (the same system T-Mobile uses). The MetroPCS Ericsson cell sites using the RBS 6000 system can be easily integrated into the T-Mobile network. A simple software upgrade would reconfigure to GSM/HSPA+/LTE services. The tricky bit would be backhaul. T-Mobile will still need to upgrade the backhaul to offer better bandwidth and lower latency.

However, Alcatel-Lucent equipment cannot be easily integrated into the T-Mobile network. It will have to be decommissioned. Fortunately, most of the Alcatel-Lucent equipment is for CDMA services, and can be maintained separately and turned down as CDMA usage drops off in markets.
    Would such an upgrade need new channel cards? I thought that the RBS 6102 and the other Ericsson racks that Metro had only had LTE channel cards and not ones that support both WCDMA and LTE.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I don't get it either.
    I was hoping T-Mobile would simply allow its customers to use the existing network and just add used or unused AWS spectrum from T-Mobile as time goes by to beef up the existing MetroPCS LTE network in my area which runs on a 2x5 MHz configuration. I can't see any impediment unless there are billing, routing, and handover issues.
    I think that the MetroPCS network was not designed to scale to support three times their subscriber base with an influx of tmobile customers. I think they are going to do what they recently did in Las Vegas with a MOCN and have LTE run 10x10 over blocks C (tmo) and D (metro). I have only really seen DC-HSPA broadcasted over UAFRCN 2087 and 2062 (F-Block) recently. Does anyone think tmobile will come out the gates running with a 15x15 network? It would be nice to access some access metro LTE in areas with Edge only coverage.

Phones
    White Galaxy S5 & White iPhone 6
    LG G-Flex, Nexus 4, Nexus 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The number of T-Mobile customers with LTE devices is nil, couldn't overload the MPCS network. They both ran the same amount of LTE bandwith until yesterday.

My house in Las Vegas is on EDGE (not an issue because of cable WiFi), but I can see MPCS LTE. As of tonight, I'm getting next to no GSM service (0 bars or no service)
    Google+ - Add me!
    Happy T-Mobile Customer since '09
    Content AT&T Customer since '12
    Miserable Sprint Customer since '14
    T-Mobile 2G to 4G cities/highways

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast