Thread: Traveling to Canada... recommendations on prepaid carrier?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Traveling to Canada... recommendations on prepaid carrier?

I'll be traveling to Vancouver, BC in a few months with a Sprint iPhone 5, and I'd like to get a local pre-paid sim card so I can use it for voice and data. Can anyone recommend a Canadian carrier that will work with my phone?

Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Look into the prepaid options from Telus. Options also available with Bell, Virgin, Fido, Rogers but all pretty similar. Koodo's prepaid structure isn't really appropriate for short visits.

It's compatible with all the major carriers on HSPA, but you might need Sprint to unlock it. Not compatible with Mobilicity or Wind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying to figure out if I need to use a specific carrier for the Sprint iPhone 5, since Sprint uses CDMA. Does it matter if I choose Bell or Fido?

Carrier(s)
    Koodo (03/2015-present)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cohoman View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm trying to figure out if I need to use a specific carrier for the Sprint iPhone 5, since Sprint uses CDMA. Does it matter if I choose Bell or Fido?
    You will not be able to use it on a Canadian CDMA network except via roaming on your Sprint account. All the providers I listed would be using the HSPA radios that are also in your iPhone 5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    I'll be traveling to Vancouver, BC in a few months with a Sprint iPhone 5, and I'd like to get a local pre-paid sim card so I can use it for voice and data. Can anyone recommend a Canadian carrier that will work with my phone?

Thanks.
    How long will you be in Canada?
    What is your expected usage? (how much voice, text, data? voice calls to the US? SMS to the US?)
    Is your iPhone 5 unlocked?
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
    How long will you be in Canada?
    What is your expected usage? (how much voice, text, data? voice calls to the US? SMS to the US?)
    Is your iPhone 5 unlocked?
    It's only a 3-4 day vacation trip to Vancouver from Seattle. I'd like to have prepaid SIM cards for my Android phone and my wife's iPhone 5 so we can call each other if necessary and also access the Internet for emails, navigation, maps, etc. From what I've read online, I think a pay-as-you-go plan may be the best, where I can recharge my data amount on an as-needed basis.

I'm good with my Android phone (since it's GSM), but I'm not too sure with my wife's Sprint iPhone 5 CDMA. From the previous poster, it seems that her phone also has a GSM radio for use with the SIM card, so that is what I'm trying to verify.

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    It's only a 3-4 day vacation trip to Vancouver from Seattle. I'd like to have prepaid SIM cards for my Android phone and my wife's iPhone 5 so we can call each other if necessary and also access the Internet for emails, navigation, maps, etc. From what I've read online, I think a pay-as-you-go plan may be the best, where I can recharge my data amount on an as-needed basis.

I'm good with my Android phone (since it's GSM), but I'm not too sure with my wife's Sprint iPhone 5 CDMA. From the previous poster, it seems that her phone also has a GSM radio for use with the SIM card, so that is what I'm trying to verify.

Thanks.
    Indeed, the iPhone 5 is capable of GSM/HSPA on the frequencies used by Telus, Rogers, Bell and the providers that use these networks. However, you need to make sure it is unlocked.

You might also just check whether Sprint has some deals for folks who roam in Canada. Might be easier and cheaper in the end for a short trip. AT&T and Verizon both have options/plans that make roaming charges in Canada more reasonable. I just don't know about the situation with Sprint.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I appreciate the responses.