Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HTC ONE Release Thread

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    CNN:
    The two best Android phones of 2013 -- the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One -- will soon be available, unlocked and direct from Google, without their respective custom user interfaces. Instead, they'll come with an unaltered version of Android that operates the way Google intended Android to perform.
    Maybe we don't have to wait for VZW. We could get the HTC One directly from Google.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    CNN:

Maybe we don't have to wait for VZW. We could get the HTC One directly from Google.
    When Google sells a phone direct, it is only the GSM version. They don't sell the CDMA version direct. Look at the Galaxy Nexus. If you purchased one from Google, it was the GSM version and not the Verizon version.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    https://twitter.com/VZWnews/status/341592724161560578

Thread moved and changed to Pre-Release.
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    I guess that makes it official.

"Sounds" like a great handset. Speakers up front, well… duh! If only it had SD support and a pullable battery — both for privacy concerns as much as, or more than, for capacity.

I like HTC. Got a T-bolt on LTE day 1. No lines. Loved how it performed but returned it because I wasn't used to how the battery dropped so quickly. If I'd had a month, instead of just a fortnight, I'd probably still have it.

With SD support you can do a number of things that just aren't possible without it. For one, you can easily and quickly remove sensitive data if someone else is going to have your phone – a friend, the shop, whoever.

And battery pull resets are sometimes the only way to – absolutely positively – know it's made a full stop.

A lot of folks are hanging on to UL data NOT so much because they're gobbling up GBs like gummy bears, but just for the simple peace of mind that comes with *knowing* you'll NEVER pay an overage.

Same idea.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Redwood Valley, CA/Moving back to Pocatello, ID in April, 2018
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    The sound on the One is AMAZING, I have never heard such good sound from a Smartphone. I have the 32 GB model, and even with a ton of apps I am still at 22 GB free, and I always have USB OTG available if I really need it, add to that the tons of cloud storage, and, well, I'm doing good without an SD Card. Now, would I like it if they offered a One with a SD Card slot? Sure, but it's not a make or break it deal, for the reasons I listed. I can understand the preferences, but you are really missing an amazing phone if you skip it just for no removable battery or sd card.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Nah, screen's too small.

I'd like to hear "One" next to the old vzw "V" LG-V9800. Still my favorite.

But, yeah, 64 gigs is a lot of IM.

Unless.
    You have a metered plan and like HD video. Or you think Netflix' selection sucks. I have a ton of old DVDs (well, a cupla stone, anyway) collected over the years from garage sales and thrift shops. If streaming video — Hulu or the cloud — is out and you feel shafted by vzw's obscenely turgid data prices just tape some rock-sized ziplocks under the back cover of your removable battery phone; slip in some microSDs and watch all your fave flicks for free! No data caps to consider and no Netflix bill to pay. And a whole helluvalot easier to handle in your pocket than a handful of jump drives (even if you tie them up neatly in the cable with a double bow knot).
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 06-06-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8, LG V30, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, LG K20 V, Nexus 6, Moto E
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Nah, screen's too small.

I'd like to hear "One" next to the old vzw "V" LG-V9800. Still my favorite.

But, yeah, 64 gigs is a lot of IM.

Unless.
    You have a metered plan and like HD video. Or you think Netflix' selection sucks. I have a ton of old DVDs (well, a cupla stone, anyway) collected over the years from garage sales and thrift shops. If streaming video — Hulu or the cloud — is out and you feel shafted by vzw's obscenely turgid data prices just tape some rock-sized ziplocks under the back cover of your removable battery phone; slip in some microSDs and watch all your fave flicks for free! No data caps to consider and no Netflix bill to pay. And a whole helluvalot easier to handle in your pocket than a handful of jump drives (even if you tie them up neatly in the cable with a double bow knot).
    Too small? I disagree there, it's just the right size.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Can't argue with that. And 440+ ppi is pretty impressive — the Note III won't likely match it. Screen size is personal preference, though. I meant it's too small for me.

If your handset is a phone first and only incidentally a browsing computer then you'll likely not have a need – or even understand the need – for a 5"+ display. In my case, the phone in my pocket computer is almost incidental, an essential accessory, like the camera. I read, look at, tap on, and listen to my handset far more than (and even while) I talk on it. The display is the 'big' deal – for me.

Hope HTC releases a full feature media phablet ASAP. I'll be watching the "T6". But it's gotta have removable onboard storage – as much for privacy concerns as for extra media storage – and battery. No SD *is* a deal-breaker. The HTC One has slightly better, build quality, and reception and wow! music playback, but Samsung has greater utility and flexibility — as a pocket computer, that is.

Think I'll stick with with the 6" 1080p GNote III.
    But I do like those front speakers!

EDIT: Or then again:
    http://phandroid.com/2013/05/30/evle...-htc-t6-specs/
    This leak promises an HTC 'T6' phablet *with* SD slot! AND front speakers.
    OK. I'm listening now.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 06-07-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If iOS7 doesn't deliver something that bring will bring the OS to more modern times... I will seriously consider coming back to Android. This may be the phone for me! Finally an Android phone that won't feel cheap in my hands.

Feedback Score
    Not sure exactly on a pin point date but I see the Launch on VZW is set for August mostly due to VZW saying they did not want the device initially but then said they wanted it so HTC had to start the ball rolling on getting the device to pass all the requirements VZW requires for the device to launch . The low jump start then pushed it back to the August time frame as there is lots of testing to be done with it. The VZW FIT and LAB testing has been moving very slowly as of last week still. I have seen 4 colors of the device and I didn't know what it was at first until I got them to play with for a bit. I like the feel and the colors but I know all 4 of them wont be launched. Just 2 colors only.
    Moto Razr

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xbernaut View Post
    Not sure exactly on a pin point date but I see the Launch on VZW is set for August mostly due to VZW saying they did not want the device initially but then said they wanted it so HTC had to start the ball rolling on getting the device to pass all the requirements VZW requires for the device to launch . The low jump start then pushed it back to the August time frame as there is lots of testing to be done with it. The VZW FIT and LAB testing has been moving very slowly as of last week still. I have seen 4 colors of the device and I didn't know what it was at first until I got them to play with for a bit. I like the feel and the colors but I know all 4 of them wont be launched. Just 2 colors only.
    Pictures or it didn't happen?

Jk... but anyway... the device would be no different from what's out not, spec-wise. Anything different with the VZW version?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My contract is up July 10th so waiting five days or so for this is no big deal. Currently have a plain Droid RAZR that's getting annoying now.

My choice is the obvious one: S4 vs. One.

So far I'm really mixed.

Most of what I read about the S4 is about their lousy interface which is easily eradicated with any desired Home app. I also was looking at a ZeroLemon extended battery that, for $40 gives you 7500mAh which would likely mean days between charges.

With the One the best option looks to be Mophie for $99 and that just gets you 2500mAh. Not even in the same league for more than twice the money?

Then there's the camera. The S4 camera seems to blow the One out of the water.

Then there's the inability to pull the battery. I have issues with the RAZR battery and have for months without any option. Not too keen on going back.

Then there's the smaller screen, lower CPU and poor placement of the power button.

However, IPS looks better to me. The audio seems way better and the hardware design looks better and seems tougher.

Right now, as seems obvious, I'm leaning S4 but would love to hear why that should be re-thought (without getting into a jihad).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T (prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    My contract is up July 10th so waiting five days or so for this is no big deal. Currently have a plain Droid RAZR that's getting annoying now.

My choice is the obvious one: S4 vs. One.

So far I'm really mixed.

Most of what I read about the S4 is about their lousy interface which is easily eradicated with any desired Home app. I also was looking at a ZeroLemon extended battery that, for $40 gives you 7500mAh which would likely mean days between charges.

With the One the best option looks to be Mophie for $99 and that just gets you 2500mAh. Not even in the same league for more than twice the money?

Then there's the camera. The S4 camera seems to blow the One out of the water.

Then there's the inability to pull the battery. I have issues with the RAZR battery and have for months without any option. Not too keen on going back.

Then there's the smaller screen, lower CPU and poor placement of the power button.

However, IPS looks better to me. The audio seems way better and the hardware design looks better and seems tougher.

Right now, as seems obvious, I'm leaning S4 but would love to hear why that should be re-thought (without getting into a jihad).
    4.7 vs 5.0 it's not that huge of a difference, and the CPU Flies on this thing, Mhz isn't always a good judge of how well a CPU will perform, and they are both the 600, so other than the clock there is no difference. The Aluminium, sleek body feels good in the hand, and just looks sexy! As far as the removable battery, that is a definitely a personal choice, but I have to say after coming from phones with them I am not missing it much at all, and with 32 GB's of onboard storage plus about a bazillion gb's of cloud storage, plus the fact the One supports USB OTG, I'm set.

The sound, well, I have never heard better sound on a smartphone, or phone, I actually have to turn the speakers down sometimes! Dual BoomSound Stereo Speakers, brilliant, other carriers should do it!

As far as the camera, well, it seems to do fine by me, it uses a different tech, their Ultrapixel, I don't think it's any better or worse than standard camera tech, but it will do a LOT better than the GS4 in low light, that's a fact.

That said, they are both good phones, and have their good and bad points, I don't think you'd be unhappy with either one.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Removable batteries matter.

I've never had a cellphone that didn't require an occasional battery-pull reset. This S3 is no exception.

On CM10, I'm experiencing problems during calls where the screen goes black and sometimes all human input freezes except the call itself. Long press on power, even, has no effect at all. When the call ends, sometimes the physical buttons return — and sometimes they don't. In the latter case, my S3 is a brick — until I pull the battery.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, for what it's worth the RAZR has an embedded battery and I've never once needed to get to it in two years to reset the phone. The hard buttons for that have always worked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast