Motorola M800 Portable Phone
    Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050
    Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Making do with a non-public IP address on 3G/4G

I figure the Verizon forum is the best place to ask this as there are a lot of people using their unlimited 4G SIMs for regular internet access.

I have considered doing the same thing with my iPad unlimited 3G SIM as well, however I'd like to know is there any way to get around the fact that you've got a non-public IP? There are several services I access from outside the house that will no longer work if I use this for my internet service. IP web cameras, InstaTV, VNC, etc. Logmein and Hamachi VPN are the only ones I've got here that will keep working normally.

Unless there's a trick I'm not aware of, the only way I can picture this working is some kind of VPN service you purchase that you stay connected to all the time (that has a public IP assigned to you). Is there another way?

BTW, I have a half cab of colo space in a datacenter so if there's a way to roll my own and save buying a service from someone else, that'd be great

Phones
    A phone
    with buttons
    'n stuff
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Buy a public, static ip for $500.

Phone
    BB 8530
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Man, when you find out, let me know. I've been trying to find a service or otherwise for months.

Someone needs to invent a port forwarding service.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vatothe0 View Post
    Buy a public, static ip for $500.
    This is not available to consumer accounts. OP would have to have a business acct for this to have a chance of working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using HowardForums

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Is the IPv6 address public?

At home, I run miredo (which does Teredo protocol) on one computer, which gives it a public IPv6 address despite being behind NAT. I can run miredo on my notebook (since I usually don't get an IPv6 address), and if it works succesfully (no NAT problems) then I can connect to my home system.

LTE devices are supposed to get an IPv6 address in addition to the IPv4, so then you'd need to run miredo on the remote (if it's not ipv6) but then should be able to connect right in. browser based ipv6 tests succeed on the phone, but I have not tried accessing my home system from the phone.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I am currently indirect Verizon customer (via PagePlus) and would like to understand this better. What does OP mean when he mentions that he has non-public IP? As far as I understand you always get public dynamic IP from Verizon. Am I wrong?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
    I am currently indirect Verizon customer (via PagePlus) and would like to understand this better. What does OP mean when he mentions that he has non-public IP? As far as I understand you always get public dynamic IP from Verizon. Am I wrong?
    Not with LTE devices. You get a 10. internal IP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwinagent View Post
    Not with LTE devices. You get a 10. internal IP.
    I assume you mean 10.* IPv4 internal IP with LTE devices, right? Do you also get IPv6 address as someone else mentioned? What if your LTE device is in 3G mode (LTE is not available in the area)?

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think I would get an ipv6 addresson 3g, but I just forced 3g and went to an ipv6 test page and it said I do still have one. *shrug*. The strat still connected eHRPD instead of "traditional" 3G though so that may be why I still have ipv6.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    On 3G:
    Only IPv4 and it is NAT'ed in which you are given a 10.x.x.x address against a random Verizon shared IPv4 NAT gateway. If you want a static IP it needs to be a business account and I believe it costs $500.

On 4G LTE:
    On IPv4 it is NAT'ed in which you are given a 10.x.x.x address against a random Verizon shared IPv4 NAT gateway. If you want a static IP it needs to be a business account and it costs $500 in which I believe you are assigned the same IP by the VZW gateway. On IPv6 you are assigned a unique globally rout-able IPv6 address. I have verified this by going to a ipv6 testing website.

There is a currently a shortage of IPv4 on ARIN which is why this solution was introduced for mostly all carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ak1sdr View Post
    This is not available to consumer accounts. OP would have to have a business acct for this to have a chance of working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using HowardForums
    That's not true. We have a regular consumer level account and we were able to get a public static IP on all our devices for the $500. I can access IP cams, VPN, remote desktop, and all that kind of thing outside our LAN. No LTE yet here either.

Phone
    BB 8530
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    So, miredo......

A toredo client that creates an ipv6 tunnel to...somewhere.?

One can then use a dyndns type service on it?

Please explain more. I think this might be my solution, but i need help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Phones
    Motorola M800 Portable Phone
    Sprint Sanyo SCP-7050
    Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So how easy is it to access this IPv6 address? And does AT&T hand these out on their network also? By the way, 3G only devices on Verizon do get public IPs still, hybrid LTE devices get a 10.x no matter what.

In order for the IPv6 thing to be practical we'd need DNS for that number too though because I doubt most of us want to type in those addresses.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jcharr1 View Post
    That's not true. We have a regular consumer level account and we were able to get a public static IP on all our devices for the $500. I can access IP cams, VPN, remote desktop, and all that kind of thing outside our LAN. No LTE yet here either.
    Well that's interesting considering that it has to be the BGCO (or whatever acronym they're using this week) who sets them up and they don't handle non-business accounts at all.

I'll amend my statement then - the last time I checked, it was impossible for accounts that were not under a business name with an actual tax id associated with them to get a static IP.

Phone
    BB 8530
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Bump bump bump. More info on miredo please!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast