Thread: LG 840G does not play YouTube videos (on Wifi) - any fix?

Feedback Score

LG 840G does not play YouTube videos (on Wifi) - any fix?

Brand new LG 840G (Tracfone) does not play YouTube videos.
    Using Wifi. Strong signal standing right next to the router.

I know it is capable of YouTube playback. There are several videos on YouTube showing it. That's why I bought the phone to begin with. It's the first thing I tried to do as soon as I got it.

I click "watch video" and it says "network unavailable".

Previously when I clicked a video it said "connecting..." then "playback error".
    I contacted Tracfone and they told me to clear cookies, cache, etc, take out the battery and then restart the phone.

I did that. Still doesn't work... instead it just says "network unavailable" now instead of playback error like it did before. At least before it seemed like it was making an effort to connect. Now it's an instant error.

I've read several comments from others with the same issue. They either get "playback error" or "network unavailable".

Then there's others who get YouTube to work just fine without issue.
    I'm confused!

Has anyone else had this problem and what was your fix?
    I also have an S390G by Samsung/Tracfone and it plays YouTube great and instantly.
    LG 840 has basically the same capability, just touch. I can't figure what's wrong.

Feedback Score
    You have to register the phone before Youtube will work.

Feedback Score
    The phone is registered with over 3,000 minutes. I actually got a private message from someone at Tracfone a few weeks ago saying LG 840g doesn't play YouTube videos. This is absolutely false. There's videos on YouTube showing playback! Half the people in the comments say it works. Half the people say it doesn't. I gave up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cavecricket View Post
    You have to register the phone before Youtube will work.
    Quote Originally Posted by VAF View Post
    The phone is registered (with Tracfone) with over 3,000 minutes.
    I think cavecricket meant the phone has to be registered with YouTube.

Feedback Score
    Why would you have to be registered for mobile phones but not for computers?

Urge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urge21 View Post
    Why would you have to be registered for mobile phones but not for computers? Urge
    I don't know. Maybe cavecricket will stop back in and explain his/her post more.

Feedback Score
    No, I meant the phone has to be registered through Tracfone. I tried with an unregistered one. It won't play Youtube. I had no issue browsing to Youtube through the built in browser after registration, though the Youtube app isn't worthwhile compared to just using the browser.

OP: From the built-in browser you have to click the picture of the vid on the video's page for it to start. It isn't very good looking or sounding anyway at 3GP. In order to look and sound better you need MP4 at 240x320. In XP that can be gotten from the Sansa Fuse MP4 output setting in DVDSoft Free Studio, which will also fetch videos.

Feedback Score
    This is a response to Tracfone Alex who sent me a private message. I can't respond because it says your inbox is full.

Alex, I am using Wifi. That's the entire problem. YouTube doesn't work on Wifi.

You told me before that YouTube does not work on Lg 840G at all?

Now you are saying it does?

This is what you replied with back on 5/20:

Hi VAF,

Thank you for responding.

The reason why you are unable play videos on YouTube is due to phone's format compatibility. For other questions, just send us an email at "emailremoved".

Thanks!
    Alex

This is what you just sent today 6/24:

Hi VAF! This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. Yes, we don't support video streaming but you can watch YouTube videos if you are connected to WiFi. Send us an email at "email removed" if you have further questions.

Feedback Score
    Had to remove the e-mail addresses in the above post for it to post.

To cavecricket:

Thanks, but nope doesn't work. Others load them just fine as you noted. It should just be that easy. Click and play.
    Except there's those like me who get playback error or "connecting..." that never connects.

It's a 50/50 thing on getting the 840G to load them. And as you can see above, it's also a 50/50 thing on getting Tracfone to make sense of why it doesn't work for us.

Feedback Score
    To add to the confusion
    I connected to WiFi network
    Started default browser
    Erased the Tracfone URL by backspacing and entered youtube.com and "GoTo" key
    Entered "Homer and Jethro" in the search box and pressed search
    Selected a video from the results <I'm Missing My Wife's Cooking (Whenever I Can)>
    Clicked "Watch Video" link under picture
    "Connecting..." on black screen
    Be patient...
    Video begins playing

I was logged into Youtube on computer when I tested this.

Logged out of Youtube, closed phone browser, then repeated above. Video plays with no problem.

From the questions and TF answers this sounds like it is randomly phone dependent.
    Phone:LG840G
    Hardware Version 1.0
    Software Version V10b

Feedback Score
    I have the same problem, MY lg840g get 'network unavailable' when I play Youtube. Any fix ???????

Feedback Score

youtube on Tracfone LG 840G observations

I have used two separate LG 840G phones on tracfone. The first one (older one) played fine on Wifi and 3G.
    The second one refuses to play on 3G (when I select a video, I get an error indicating that streaming media will only work on Wifi), and Wifi is hit or miss.

What we're seeing here, with different folks seeing different effects depending on FW. It may be that Tracfone messed with youtube, either because the economics don't work (are they getting enough units per MB? which would be amplified by streaming media) or because they had repeated complaints about 3G streaming quality.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I could understand you having a problem on 3G if it were a time of day with unusual tower congestion, but not WiFi. The LG 840 seems to be a problematic phone with Trac.

Feedback Score
    I have had no luck watching You Tube on my LG840G
    or done any Web browsing I get panicked when it lags and worry I am using my minutes..I do check for WIFi and it is on I am just a
    worry
    :clappi Other people count sheep while they try to fall asleep

I count Minutes and time left on my phone..and have nightmares on adding them before it runs out.