Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone Browser Upgrade in Straight Talk Phone?

Feedback Score
    I gave my daughter a Samsung R355C I think it is also carried on Verizon,

Feedback Score
    You should admit it's rather unusual. What if it were a trap? I would have just given my phone number to some scammer. No thanks.

Feedback Score
    Carried on Verizon or on Straight Talk? I just looked at ST's phones page and the only Verizon phone I can find (in the Phoenix market) is an LG. The Samsung is gone. I saw the Samsung on sale (discounted) in a Walmart store a few weeks ago. With ST, the phone you choose also determines what carrier's network you're on. ST doesn't have many Verizon phones. They've been pushing AT&T phones (I believe ST's iphones work only on AT&T's network).

Quote Originally Posted by vtails View Post
    I gave my daughter a Samsung R355C I think it is also carried on Verizon,

Feedback Score
    It's not a scam; it's just another example of Straight Talk's poor customer service. They could have sent me a text or put something up on their webpage to explain this. I don't use Facebook, which is the only place I've yet seen ST has mentioned this "upgrade."
    Like you, my browser also crashed before the "upgrade." I finally declined the upgrade by resetting the browser settings, so I don't have it. Is it life-changing?

Quote Originally Posted by glennh73 View Post
    yeah I got this a few weeks ago and I actually gave them my number and it did upgrade the tracefone page. If its a scam then interesting.

What happened before that was while surfing thru my phone, the web crashed and then that came up.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it could have been a feature phone rather than a smart phone, but I didn't think anybody was using those anymore. I forgot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    How did you know it's Android? Aren't there any Samsung feature phones on Straight Talk Verizon? Probably is Android, since they owned another Android. Just wondering if it's not. However, there are Android malware at various sketchy websites...

Still the other is good advice about the factory reset.

I also keep recent image backups to restore.

Tell us EXACTLY the phone and phone model you have.

Samsung/Straight Talk/Verizon is like saying you have a black Ford or a grey Dell.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annestrauss View Post
    Constantly amazed by people that buy Yugos and demand Mercedes Service.
    yes could not agree more.

Feedback Score
    What an utterly useless and unhelpful response this is. There are no Mercedes-service-level cellphone companies. I asked this question of other Straight Talk users to learn if my phone had malware.

Quote Originally Posted by annestrauss View Post
    Constantly amazed by people that buy Yugos and demand Mercedes Service.

Feedback Score
    And this post even more so. You're just trying to increase your post count.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    yes could not agree more.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-TX View Post
    What an utterly useless and unhelpful response this is. There are no Mercedes-service-level cellphone companies. I asked this question of other Straight Talk users to learn if my phone had malware.

why yes there is.att,tmo,verizon,sprint and the many regional carries are the mercedes and the tracfone mvno's are the yugo's.
    when you have a problem with you att service you can walk down to your local att store and get things taken care of right there on the spot.cant do that with the tracfone mvno's.

Feedback Score
    It was from 2 years ago,on ST, it was supposed to have a little better Browser XHTML ,it was an upgrade from V3a moto and to keep my number going
    Carried on Verizon or on Straight Talk? I just looked at ST's phones page and the only Verizon phone I can find (in the Phoenix market) is an LG. The Samsung is gone. I saw the Samsung on sale (discounted) in a Walmart store a few weeks ago. With ST, the phone you choose also determines what carrier's network you're on. ST doesn't have many Verizon phones. They've been pushing AT&T phones (I believe ST's iphones work only on AT&T's network).

Feedback Score
    why yes there is.att,tmo,verizon,sprint and the many regional carries are the mercedes and the tracfone mvno's are the yugo's.
    when you have a problem with you att service you can walk down to your local att store and get things taken care of right there on the spot.cant do that with the tracfone mvno's.
    TOTALLY AGREE, The difference between the service at Sprint & now Straight Talk is night and day. That being said I like what I am saving and not going to complain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    I admit I don't know about most of Straight Talk branded phones. Most (not all) are their phones from 2 - 5 years ago, or older. I actually didn't know Straight Talk only had one Samsung phone on Verizon.

The exceptions of course are the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3. Those are only a year old.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    I have the proclaim and I downloaded Firefox. Honestly, to h#ll with the default browser! Chrome and Firefox are way better browsers. Just like IE is the standard for windows and it also sucks.

Feedback Score
    so the upgrade enhanced your web surfing experince while using an st branded android phone.
    yes it changed the menu look a bit and phone doesn't crash when I go to some sites.

Been a couple of weeks and haven't gotten any weird phone calls or anything so guessing by putting in my phone number they updated the web surfing part of my phone.

Feedback Score

Cool Answers for you

Hi - I've tried to research this on these forums before posting.
    Last week (after my phone suddenly froze), the native browser on my Samsung/ Straight Talk/ Verizon phone changed its home page.
    The new home page (I can no longer access it) had the Tracfone, ST and other logos, and said, "To enhance your browser, enter your phone number and press send." The webpage included a place to enter my number. I did not do this. It's odd that ST would need my phone number for an app upgrade on my phone.
    This page came up repeatedly for a few days, then stopped appearing.
    Now the regular browser doesn't work right - it won't zoom anymore and it won't go to mobile versions of websites - every page browsed is the regular website. And without zoom, of course nothing is readable.
    So ...
    1. Does anybody know about this?
    2. How can I get my browser working again?
    3. Is there a way to reload the browser app?
    4. Is there a way to scan a phone for viruses? Any recommended apps?

Thanks.
    (Answer 1) Here is the link for the answer from the official straight talk website:

(straighttalkwirelessforum + com/viewtopic.php?f=6790&t=128500)

Despite them saying it is legitimate, I am personally choosing not to "upgrade".
    1. They don't ever explain what these "enhancement features" are.
    2. The last update they rolled out for the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, which also offered "enhancements" was just a crippling update, to prevent users from tethering their cell phone data connection to a pc or laptop.
    3. It's a poor way to release an update.
    4. I don't use the stock browser anyways, and have rooted my phone, and removed it altogether. (I use Dolphin Mini instead)

(Answer 2 & 3) You can download an alternate browser which will work much better anyways. Or you can factory restore your phone (but this doesn't work if you have custom modified your phone {Like I have}).

(Answer 4) Recommended apps to scan your phone:
    1. TrustGo Mobile Security (play + google + com/store/apps/details?id=com.trustgo.mobile.security)
    2. Virus Total (play + google + com/store/apps/details?id=com.virustota)

There are many others, but these are the ones I choose to use and have grown to trust. I stay away from the commercial brands like Norton or McAfee

I hope my answer was helpful to you, I signed up to this forum just so I could leave you a good answer.

Well I had a good answer for you complete with links to everything... But apparently this site won't let me post links, going to try to obfuscate them so you can still get them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast