Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

The wait is over: Our Blackberry Q10 review

Name:  01-IMG_4679.JPG
Views: 8430
Size:  142.5 KB
    12 months ago was a tumultuous time for Blackberry. Back then, many people had written off Blackberry (then RIM). Most of us expected that RIM would be split into two or three companies and sold off. Many figured we’d never actually see BB10. You get the idea.

Anyways, recently I get the feeling that things are starting to turn around. Back in January, Blackberry finally announced the first device powered by their new operating system BB10.

Oddly enough, their first BB10 device, the Z10 is a touch-screen only device. It’s weird because Blackberry once ruled the Smartphone market with their QWERTY phones.

Still it’s very surprising that in the 18 months or so since Blackberry released their last QWERTY flagship the Bold 9900 none of their competitors have really released a serious competitor. Sure there were a couple of QWERTY Android phones but they were mostly low spec’d entry level devices. There’s a bit of a vacuum in the market for this class of device.

Name:  10-IMG_4717.JPG
Views: 7307
Size:  78.0 KB
    Name:  12-IMG_4722.JPG
Views: 7220
Size:  30.3 KB
    Blackberry Z10 and Q10

So in the ultra-competitive Smartphone market Blackberry managed to catch quite a break. Their first BB10 QWERTY phone, the Q10 comes to market with virtually no competitors.

Before you continue reading, if you're the type of person who thinks touchscreen keyboards work just fine then stop reading here. The Q10 is not for you.

Name:  08-IMG_4681.JPG
Views: 37282
Size:  112.4 KB

In order to accommodate a full QWERTY keyboard, the Q10 sacrifices a substantial amount of screen space. If you’re happy with a virtual keyboard then this trade-off simply isn’t worth it. We’re way past the point when Smartphones were just fancy messaging devices.

Indeed, if you’ve used a touchscreen phone you’ll find the Q10 screen pretty cramped. As someone who’s used the Z10 extensively I find BB10 looks better on it than it does on the Q10. there are certain UI elements like the back button which takes up too much space on the Q10

Screen:

Name:  02-IMG_4673.JPG
Views: 7492
Size:  135.9 KB

Unlike the Z10, which has a conventional LCD display the Q10’s is a Super AMOLED. AMOLEDs strength lies in the fact that their extremely deep blacks result in very high contrast ratios.

It’s a very saturated display which most people will like.

The display is laid out in a PenTile matrix - just like the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. Lower resolution PenTile displays can look a little sloppy but as their resolution has crept up this has become a non-issue.

In the case of the Q10, while the resolution is very high but not quite high enough where I didn’t notice the PenTiles. At 3.1” it’s pretty small which results in a lot of small text which doesn’t really play into the display’s strength.

Still, even though I also use a HTC One and Apple iPhone 5 regularly I’ve gotten used to the “PenTileness’ of the Q10’s display and don’t notice it anymore.

Some people have told me that the Q10’s display has a yellowish tint to it but to be honest, I don’t think it's a big deal. When I compare it with the Z10 I find its colour is much cooler.

Unlike many Samsung phones, the Q10’s Super AMOLED works just fine outside. It’s not quite as good as the HTC One, iPhone 5 or Xperia ZL in this regard but it’s better than the GS4.

One thing I’ve noticed about the Q10 (and Z10) is that the actual screen looks more recessed than it does on some of its competitor.

Body:

Name:  19-IMG_4734.JPG
Views: 7535
Size:  139.6 KB

Aside from maybe the Blackberry Bold 9900 the Q10 is the most beautifully built Blackberry ever. From the carbon fiber finish on the battery cover to the soft touch surfaces

Name:  07-IMG_4744.JPG
Views: 10370
Size:  93.6 KB

Even though the Q10 doesn’t have a one-piece body, fit and finish are top-notch. gaps between the plastic are virtually non-existent.

I like how the Q10 comes with both a removable battery and a microSD slot.

Name:  20-IMG_4662.JPG
Views: 7141
Size:  176.1 KB

While the Q10 is really well made, part of me wishes the battery cover snapped into place like it does on the Bold 9900 instead of sliding on.

Name:  28-IMG_4737.JPG
Views: 20069
Size:  141.0 KB
    Blackberry Z10, Q10 and Bold 9900

I noticed something funny about the Q10. While I’ve gotten used to gigantic phones like the HTC One, Galaxy S III/4 and Note 2, I really appreciate how small the Q10 is.

Name:  22-IMG_4743.JPG
Views: 7088
Size:  59.5 KB

While it is a bit bigger than the Bold 9990, out of all the higher-end phones on the market, the Q10 is probably the easiest to use with just one hand. For people who are used to an older QWERTY Blackberry, aside from the keyboard the size and shape of the Q10 may be one of the best things about the Q10. It’s very familiar.

Name:  21-IMG_4740.JPG
Views: 7207
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  05-IMG_4676.JPG
Views: 7047
Size:  121.6 KB

I didn’t realize it at first but each of the Q10’s row of keys are straight instead of curved like on the 9900. It did take me a bit before I adjusted but once I did I was typing on it very quickly.

Name:  11-IMG_4647.JPG
Views: 6769
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  09-IMG_4687.JPG
Views: 6935
Size:  189.4 KB

The keyboard itself is excellent. It’s easy to use and the keys are tactile with an excellent feel. I don’t think any current Blackberry user is going to have any complaints about the Q10 other than the fact that the rows of keys are now straight.

It’s too bad that Blackberry doesn’t include a belt holster with the Q10. After all, most previous Blackberries did.

Name:  15-IMG_4726.JPG
Views: 7683
Size:  66.7 KB
    headphone jack, power button, microphones

Name:  16-IMG_4730.JPG
Views: 6817
Size:  66.1 KBName:  04-IMG_4648.JPG
Views: 6746
Size:  67.0 KB
    speaker, microphone

Name:  14-IMG_4729.JPG
Views: 6681
Size:  44.2 KB
    volume buttons, soft key

Name:  13-IMG_4725.JPG
Views: 6647
Size:  43.9 KB
    microUSB, micro HDMI

Name:  17-IMG_4731.JPG
Views: 6700
Size:  97.0 KB
    8 megapixel camera, flash

Camera:

Name:  IMG_00000083.jpg
Views: 7303
Size:  422.1 KB

The Q10 has the same camera software as the Z10. The BB10 camera software has 2 extra features: A burst mode which can shoot until you run out of memory plus a neat time-shift mode.

You’re able to both tap to capture and choose where you want the Q10 to focus without having to switch between modes. These 2 features are usually mutually exclusive. The way Blackberry handles this is that you tap and drag the focus point around to focus while you can tap anywhere else where there are no menu elements (or use the spacebar) to capture.

I prefer tap to focus and then just using a shutter button to capture the image. Dragging a focus point around seems counter-intuitive to me. I never did get used to it.

The burst mode shoots at 5 frames per second. You just hold down the shutter button and the Q10 will keep shooting until you let go of it. It’s a handy feature since it’s difficult to anticipate when something is going to happen if you’re trying to capture action. My only complaint is that the Q10 should group each burst. That would make it easier to view your gallery plus it would make it easier to delete your photos if you didn’t capture any keepers.

In time-shift mode the Q10 is constantly capturing photos. When you hit the shutter button it will save the previous 5 photos and go on to capture another 6. After that, you pick which picture you like best and the Q10 will save just that one.

There’s a fully featured photo editor built-in which allows you to choose different colour effects, adjust the brightness, saturation, sharpness, noise levels, contrast, white balance plus you can rotate, crop and flip your photos.

As far as image quality goes it’s definitely better than previous Blackberries (besides the Z10). That said, previous Blackberries had terrible image quality so it better be an improvement.

Outdoors it’s quite good, there’s lot of detail while noise levels are nicely controlled.

Indoors it can take very good pictures but I found that a lot of my pictures turned out blurry.

Indoors I found that most of my picture turned out blurry. At first I thought it had a lousy sensor that requires extremely slow shutter speeds but when I looked at the settings for a bunch of pictures I think the Q10 actually has a pretty decent sensor. This makes me think the Q10’s form factor is the cause. I guess for me it’s harder to hold a QWERTY phone perfectly still while I take pictures.

I found that sometimes the Q10’s colour balance would would completely off.

Video is quite good. While the microphone records very rich audio, I noticed that there might be some very aggressive noise reduction going on because voices also sound slightly processed. It also picks up some handling noise thought this maybe a result of the Q10’s form factor.

Overall, while not class leading, I’d say the Q10’s camera is still pretty good.

Software:

I already covered BB10 in my Z10 review so if you’re not familiar with my thoughts on BB10 check out my Z10 review.

Name:  IMG_00000027.jpg
Views: 6940
Size:  25.8 KB
    Blackberry Z10 screen grab

Name:  IMG_00000441.jpg
Views: 6820
Size:  48.0 KB
    Blackberry Q10 screen grab

Having had using both the Z10 and Q10 I do think that BB10 looks better on the Z10. It’s not that BB10 looks squished on the Q10, it’s just that there isn’t much space to display information.

Most of the time the user interface is predictable and intuitive once you adjust to it.

I did notice that there are settings for auto-correct and swipe to complete. Much to my chagrin, I don’t think I ever saw the Q10 auto-correct any of my typos. The closest option I saw is the ability to correct a typo after you’ve typed it.

Benchmarks:

Aside from browser benchmarks it’s difficult to measure the Q10’s speed and compare it with Android/iOS. It’s worth noting that BB10 has a lot less apps available for it so if you’re thinking of doing a lot of gaming on the Q10 you might be disappointed.

Performance:

SunSpider:

I noticed that there’s a new version of SunSpider. They’re up to version 1.0 (horray!). Anyways, version 1.0 wouldn’t run properly on the Q10. As a result I wasn’t able to record a score so we’re back to version 0.9.1

Apple iPhone 5: 911.7
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (stock browser): 769.7
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Chrome): 1194.9
    HTC One (stock browser): 1550.2
    HTC One (Chrome): 1235.9
    Sony Xperia ZL (Chrome): 1884.7
    Blackberry Q10: 1483.2
    Blackberry Z10: 1441.5

Lower scores are better. While the Q10 doesn't score as well as the GS4 it doesn't feel particularly slow either.

Peacekeeper:

Apple iPhone 5 (stock browser): 895
    Apple iPhone 5 (Chrome): 532
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (stock browser): 413
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Chrome): 602
    HTC One (stock browser): 723
    HTC One (Chrome): 598
    Sony Xperia ZL: 410
    Blackberry Q10: 479
    Blackberry Z10: 465

I did try to benchmark the Q10 by backing up some benchmark programs on my Android phone, repackaging them as bar files and then installing them on my Q10 but even though they installed successfully, they wouldn’t run.

Media:

The headphone amp isn’t very loud - but otherwise it sounds fine to me. If you don’t have very sensitive headphones you might find the Q10 could use a little more ‘oomph’ in the volume department. That said, there’s almost no chance the Q10 will damage your hearing.

The speaker is pretty loud but it doesn’t sound that great. Hopefully Blackberry does a better job tuning it because I get the feeling it has some potential.

Name:  IMG_00000287.jpg
Views: 7163
Size:  83.4 KB

I like how you can control music using the physical buttons on the side. The middle button is a play/pause toggle, changing the volume brings up some music controls which show up on top of whatever you’re doing.

As a Phone:

Name:  06-IMG_4671.JPG
Views: 7352
Size:  131.0 KB

Earpiece maximum volume is very good. It’s slightly louder than the Apple iPhone 5.

Sound quality is excellent - voices are very full sounding though. I did notice some hiss but it’s not that loud.

I didn’t test how well the Q10 does on LTE but the HSPA performance is outstanding.

I was a little surprised that the speaker phone’s maximum volume wasn’t very loud.

Conclusion:

Name:  03-IMG_4691.JPG
Views: 7241
Size:  99.7 KB

With the release of the Q10, If you’ve been waiting for a Blackberry with a physical keyboard, then the wait is over. Still, despite being the default choice, it’s a solid piece of hardware that can stand on it’s own merit.

Name:  27-IMG_4710.JPG
Views: 7254
Size:  153.5 KB

For those wondering what the point of a QWERTY phone is in the year 2013 you might be surprised at how many people prefer this form-factor. Also, despite a rocky 2 years, the Blackberry brand still has a lot of life left in it.

Name:  18-IMG_4732.JPG
Views: 7180
Size:  112.2 KB

While Android and iOS have a stranglehold on the Smartphone market, it will be interesting to see if Blackberry or Windows Phone becomes the 3rd choice.

vs Blackberry Z10:

Name:  23-IMG_4720.JPG
Views: 7450
Size:  155.6 KB

I already mentioned it but I’ll repeat. If you’re have a Z10 and are fine using a virtual keyboard, sacrificing 40%+ of your screen for a physical keyboard just isn’t worth it. The Q10 is aimed at people who are using an older QWERTY Blackberry or people who aren’t comfortable with touchscreen.

BB10 looks better on the Z10 plus it can display a lot more information.

vs iPhone 5:

Name:  25-IMG_4703.JPG
Views: 24051
Size:  183.7 KB

If for some reason you’re shopping the Q10 against the iPhone 5 and are happy with both physical and virtual keyboards then let’s dig a little deeper.

If you use a lot of apps then there’s no comparison, get the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5 has more screen space plus it’s able to display more information because it’s bigger though you trade a physical keyboard for this.

The Q10 has a microSD and a removable battery, the iPhone has neither of these.

If you’re comparing iOS vs BB10 solely on user interface it’s tough because they’re both quite different. BB10 is mostly gesture based so there’s no home button. Apps selection aside BB10 is a great OS and holds its own against iOS. After you’ve gotten used to the gestures it’s intuitive to use and very good at multitasking.

While the Q10 has a good camera, I’d say the iPhone 5’s is better. The iPhone 5’s camera doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as the Q10 but I find it’s much more versatile.

As far as being used as a phone both are very similar. They’re loud with good sound quality.

vs Samsung Galaxy S4:

Name:  26-IMG_4706.JPG
Views: 18748
Size:  160.8 KB

Aside from the operating system, the biggest difference between the Q10 and the S4 is the size. Next to the Q10, the S4 is gigantic. The Q10 is simple to use with one hand while the S4 is bit unwieldy to use requiring big hands and or a lot more dexterity. In that sense, if prefer a smaller phone then the choice is easy.

I didn’t compare them head-to-head but I think the Q10’s screen is better outdoors in the bright sunlight.

In absolute terms the GS4 gives you far more hardware. The Q10 has a dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor. With the GS4 you basically get a similar processor that’s clocked faster and has 2 more cores. The GS4’s screen is almost twice the size, has a bigger battery, more megapixels, etc. So if you like to rationalize your purchases this way then get the GS4.

After all, a Big Mac has more stuff in it than a Quarter pounder so it’s better right?

Android vs BB10 is another very subjective decision. BB10 does feel a lot more streamlined than the GS4 which is kind of all over the place.

However, like iOS, the app selection on Android is much greater than BB10.

vs HTC One:

Name:  24-IMG_4694.JPG
Views: 8798
Size:  180.1 KB

The story with the HTC One is very similar to the GS4. It’s a question of whether you want a QWERTY keyboard, a smaller form factor and BB10 or if you don’t care about that.

The BB10 doesn’t run Android so it’s not as simple as seeing which one has more hardware.

Pros:

• screen looks good
    • QWERTY keyboard
    • small compared to many Android phones
    • beautiful body
    • good battery life
    • loud speaker
    • RF performance

Cons:

• small screen
    • headphone out could be louder
    • doesn’t come with a holster
    Last edited by howard; 05-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Very good review.

I use both my Q10 and my LG Nexus-4 (rarely using my iPhone 3GS... mainly using this like an iPod Touch) and there are some things that I like about my Q10 over my old Bold 9700 and some things that I'm not crazy about.
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    HTC Inspire
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Excelent review, really makes my choice harder. I think Verizon release date is 06/06/13. So I will have to wait and check it out in the store. Touchscreens are nice, and I use Swype but sometimes I really miss a keyboard.

Feedback Score
    Excellent review! I thought of buying iphone 4 but it seems your review force me to change my decision. Any way I will take little more time to choose which one is best. Thanks for sharing the review.

Device(s)
    LG-G4, wife S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    My concerns are multi-fold.
    1. A recent article stated that BB10 OS (and Windows) lack nearly half of the most popular apps.
    2. BB and Google must have had a falling out. Not only is Google Maps not available on BB10, Googlle has shut down Google Voice on all BB phones.
    3. There is no wifi calling, and no announcement as to whether/when it will be added. Wifi calling was added as a software add-on starting with OS7. (This feature is only available on TMobile in the U.S., one Canadian carrier, and maybe 6-10 others around the world.) TM is including wifi calling on virtually all their Androids.
    4. No more processing of email via BB servers (BIS). It is still available on all earlier BB OS.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    while for most of the Smart Phone users, there are a lot of Apps, that many of us do not use.
    For example just for a notepad there are more than 400 Apps in Android Market. This does not mean that all the Apps are going to solve different purposes.
    They all solve the same purpose and that is, to let us write some things down.

BUT WITH THE NUMBER OF APPS IN THE ANDROID MARKET OR APP STORE MEANS THAT, THEY HAVE REALLY HIGHLY NUMBER OF APPS THAT ARE NOT THERE IS BB OR WINDOWS.

Major Apps are already available in BB and Windows. Its just a matter of time, that other Apps will start coming to BB and Windows.

I do not want to deviate the topic. Yes, App Store and Market has lot more Apps, and for that matter of fact, many Apps, which are not there in BB and Windows and definitely will take a lot of time in the future as well for those specific Apps to be available for the BB and Windows.

But, Google Maps, and other Google products are obviously, from Google and they definitely don't want someone to be a threat to their Android and Nexus Product Lines.
    At the same time, BB should find out a way to get Google Maps or other Alternatives, because, without Maps, I'm not going to buy a BB for sure.

No body uses a separate GPS these days. when we get all of them ready to go in the smart phones.
    Also, when you have Unlimited Data, then plug in the charger, and good to go for any distance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mikethaler View Post
    1. A recent article stated that BB10 OS (and Windows) lack nearly half of the most popular apps.
    2. BB and Google must have had a falling out. Not only is Google Maps not available on BB10, Googlle has shut down Google Voice on all BB phones.
    3. There is no wifi calling, and no announcement as to whether/when it will be added. Wifi calling was added as a software add-on starting with OS7. (This feature is only available on TMobile in the U.S., one Canadian carrier, and maybe 6-10 others around the world.) TM is including wifi calling on virtually all their Androids.
    4. No more processing of email via BB servers (BIS). It is still available on all earlier BB OS.
    1) BB 10 is young and BB is encouraging development natively. Plus there is sideloading, as imperfect as it is.
    2) BB 7 has been a dying platform. I wouldn't be surprised if they brought it back for BB10.
    3) That's a problem with your carrier. Not all Android phones support Wi-Fi calling either. Don't blame the OS here.
    4) BIS was more designed for the days of GRPS/Edge/1xRTT IMO when you only e-mailed for actually e-mailing. Nowadays people need phones that can actually use data, and compression through BIS doesn't fit into that very well since the data network may be fast, but BIS compression takes you back to the 2.5g days. I can understand how it would be a user pain deal if you're used to it, but it's not like it doesn't support any e-mail anymore. It still supports BES as well.

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have a Z10 but your concerns are more about BB10 in general.

1. I think the app situation is being blown out of portion. I have every app I need. RDP client? Native and free. SIP client? Native and free. Google Reader? Sideload. Urbanspoon? Sideload. Most importantly, the Howardforums app is available from Blackberry World.

2. Google has been trying to push everybody towards Android for years and support for iOS is only there because they need the installed base of iOS users. Windows Phone doesn't really have much Google support, and until the CalDAV and CardDAV update comes, forget about using GMail to it's fullest extent with Windows Phone (not that it's perfect on BB10 either). If you need it, Google Maps can be sideloaded and it's actually pretty fast as well.

3. Many phones don't have it including the iPhone. My carrier offers wifi calling as well but I can't think of anybody that uses it.

4. I actually saw BIS as a hindrance. When I traveled, it was difficult to get a BIS enabled prepaid data plan in many countries. Now I'm not reliant upon needing BIS when I travel. I found that IMAP push and Activesync work as well as BIS most of the time and you don't need to worry about outages either. Yahoo Mail doesn't support true push, so there is a delay if you use it, but Hotmail/Outlook/Live all work much better compared to BIS where it could only connect via pop3 whereas it can use Activesync on BB10.

Hope it helps in making your choice.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Howard,

Great review ... and a special thanks for posting the browser screen grabs between the Z10 and the Q10 in their native orientations - especially on the HoFo site.

However I'm confused with this ...

In the case of the Q10, while the resolution is very high but not quite high enough where I didn’t notice the PenTiles. At 3.1” it’s pretty small which results in a lot of small text which doesn’t really play into the display’s strength.

Still, even though I also use a HTC One and Apple iPhone 5 regularly I’ve gotten used to the “PenTileness’ of the Q10’s display and don’t notice it anymore.
    Are you saying the Q10 has a PenTile screen and you've gotten used to it or that you don't notice it??

WiFi Calling wasn't available on all Android phones - and still isn't due to the majority still on 2.3 Gingerbread ... and to do this requires Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dx3 View Post
    I have a Z10 but your concerns are more about BB10 in general.

1. I think the app situation is being blown out of portion. I have every app I need. RDP client? Native and free. SIP client? Native and free. Google Reader? Sideload. Urbanspoon? Sideload. Most importantly, the Howardforums app is available from Blackberry World.

2. Google has been trying to push everybody towards Android for years and support for iOS is only there because they need the installed base of iOS users. Windows Phone doesn't really have much Google support, and until the CalDAV and CardDAV update comes, forget about using GMail to it's fullest extent with Windows Phone (not that it's perfect on BB10 either). If you need it, Google Maps can be sideloaded and it's actually pretty fast as well.

3. Many phones don't have it including the iPhone. My carrier offers wifi calling as well but I can't think of anybody that uses it.

4. I actually saw BIS as a hindrance. When I traveled, it was difficult to get a BIS enabled prepaid data plan in many countries. Now I'm not reliant upon needing BIS when I travel. I found that IMAP push and Activesync work as well as BIS most of the time and you don't need to worry about outages either. Yahoo Mail doesn't support true push, so there is a delay if you use it, but Hotmail/Outlook/Live all work much better compared to BIS where it could only connect via pop3 whereas it can use Activesync on BB10.

Hope it helps in making your choice.

#1 ... I have to agree!
    Given the engine for Gingerbread 2.3 in BB10.1 supported, sideloading quite a few apps works quite well ~ somethign I don't do as of yet but its possible, and many have reported joy doing this. (My reason for not is I'm on a leaked 10.1 OS and I keep switching often and BBLink doesn't backup sideloaded apps )

My BIGGEST gripe is people complaining for the lack of applications that are simply a window/conduit to a web service and the app offers NOTHING more than what your desktop PC browser does - or the BB10 browser does.

Instagram (unfortunately the main owner of Instagram sees fit to recognize the BB10 browser and limit access to its camera or other functions that the service offers).
    YouTube (really you do NOT need an app for this. Simply sign in, maybe enable Flash in the BB10 browser and EVERYTHING YouTube offers is available. Again no app required).

That said there ARE some web services that are better for a native application:
    Banks - all banks across the globe require an application because they're set with desktop browsing and UI design not mobile devices. WAP forget it!
    FaceBook - its unique services like built in browser chat, lookup and search seems to be better on an application. They've been hurting for a while until Chat heads reared its ugly head.

BIS has its advantages too plus disadvantages and to be honest I'm glad its dieing ... too proprietary! Forward those BIS based emails for now and inform everybody they have 12mths upon upgrading to BB10 to use your new email address. In its heyday BIS based emails made a LOT of sense ... and I still prefer the data compression so I hope BB brings that back in some other form other than BES connected devices.

What SIP & RDP clients do you prefer? Also which service are you using for SIP? Thanks in advance.

HoFo has a native BB10 app?! Searching for this. CrackBerry's app is quite impressive as well; I'm actually VERY shocked!
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Device(s)
    Asus Zenfone 2
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
    Howard,

Great review ... and a special thanks for posting the browser screen grabs between the Z10 and the Q10 in their native orientations - especially on the HoFo site.

Are you saying the Q10 has a PenTile screen and you've gotten used to it or that you don't notice it??

WiFi Calling wasn't available on all Android phones - and still isn't due to the majority still on 2.3 Gingerbread ... and to do this requires Apps.

#1 ... I have to agree!
    Given the engine for Gingerbread 2.3 in BB10.1 supported, sideloading quite a few apps works quite well ~ somethign I don't do as of yet but its possible, and many have reported joy doing this. (My reason for not is I'm on a leaked 10.1 OS and I keep switching often and BBLink doesn't backup sideloaded apps )

My BIGGEST gripe is people complaining for the lack of applications that are simply a window/conduit to a web service and the app offers NOTHING more than what your desktop PC browser does - or the BB10 browser does.

Instagram (unfortunately the main owner of Instagram sees fit to recognize the BB10 browser and limit access to its camera or other functions that the service offers).
    YouTube (really you do NOT need an app for this. Simply sign in, maybe enable Flash in the BB10 browser and EVERYTHING YouTube offers is available. Again no app required).

That said there ARE some web services that are better for a native application:
    Banks - all banks across the globe require an application because they're set with desktop browsing and UI design not mobile devices. WAP forget it!
    FaceBook - its unique services like built in browser chat, lookup and search seems to be better on an application. They've been hurting for a while until Chat heads reared its ugly head.

BIS has its advantages too plus disadvantages and to be honest I'm glad its dieing ... too proprietary! Forward those BIS based emails for now and inform everybody they have 12mths upon upgrading to BB10 to use your new email address. In its heyday BIS based emails made a LOT of sense ... and I still prefer the data compression so I hope BB brings that back in some other form other than BES connected devices.

What SIP & RDP clients do you prefer? Also which service are you using for SIP? Thanks in advance.

HoFo has a native BB10 app?! Searching for this. CrackBerry's app is quite impressive as well; I'm actually VERY shocked!
    I'm using sip.fm as my sip client on the device, and it's using voip.ms as the provider. For RDP, I'm using AccessToGo.

HoFo's app in BlackBerry World is an Android port, but it works well. The Crackberry app is great as its native.

Sent from my Z10 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm saying I noticed the pentile screen at first and then got used to it. It's very similar to the GS3 in this regard. You see it at first and then get used to it.

Howard,

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This wasn't addressed to me but I, like Dx3, am using sip.fm as my sip client (with VoIP.ms) as the provider. For RDP, I'm also using AccessToGo. Both are free and both work very well. I might try another SIP program on my Q10 just to compare but so far I'm happy with sip.fm.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    4. I actually saw BIS as a hindrance. When I traveled, it was difficult to get a BIS enabled prepaid data plan in many countries.
    I agree with you. I also found BIS to be a hindrance because when I traveled and I wanted to use one of my prepaid SIMs, most prepaid plans if they include data don't include BIS/BES data. This is why I normally used a different phone (either my iPhone 3GS or one of my Android phones) when I went to the US.

Now I can use my Blackberry Q10 when I go to the US (after I unlock it) with a standard T-Mobile data offerings on their prepaid plans.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm using sip.fm as my sip client on the device, and it's using voip.ms as the provider. For RDP, I'm using AccessToGo.

HoFo's app in BlackBerry World is an Android port, but it works well. The Crackberry app is great as its native.

Sent from my Z10 using HowardForums
    Quote Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
    This wasn't addressed to me but I, like Dx3, am using sip.fm as my sip client (with VoIP.ms) as the provider. For RDP, I'm also using AccessToGo. Both are free and both work very well. I might try another SIP program on my Q10 just to compare but so far I'm happy with sip.fm.
    Thanks Dx3 & lmcjipo, much appreciated. I'll take a look when I wakeup tomorrow late morning.

(PS: I'm not a fan of straight up Android ports on BB10.1, since the engine is 2.3 Gingerbread on 10.1. 10.2 is supposed to bring JB 4.2.2 support.

Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    I'm saying I noticed the pentile screen at first and then got used to it. It's very similar to the GS3 in this regard. You see it at first and then get used to it.
    Ah .. thank you for clearing that up. I haven't even held the Q10 yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Dx3 & lmcjipo, much appreciated. I'll take a look when I wakeup tomorrow late morning.

(PS: I'm not a fan of straight up Android ports on BB10.1, since the engine is 2.3 Gingerbread on 10.1. 10.2 is supposed to bring JB 4.2.2 support.
    I actually noticed a bug with sip.fm yesterday evening when I tried to call one of my Blackberry contacts (from the Blackberry Contacts via Google Contacts), one of the contacts didn't appear in the sip.fm contacts. I'm not sure what the reason was because a lot of my other Blackberry contacts do show up within the sip.fm contacts.

I had to manually call the person from sip.fm as opposed to calling him from the sip.fm "integrated" contacts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast