Thread: Windtab - How does it work?

Feedback Score

Windtab - How does it work?

I'm misunderstanding how Windtab works and it would be just super if somebody could explain it to me like a five year old.

I read the FAQ (which I can't link to right now because of board restrictions) ... but I'm still confused.

I paid full retail price of $449 for a Nexus 4 the other day. I signed up for Windtab30. The Wind rep told me that $200 of this price is for a 'Security Deposit'.

So if I paid full price up front what is the benefit to this program?
    The two synapses that fired from my neanderthal understanding of this is that a tab is supposed to be a 'get now pay later' affair.

Carrier
    BELL Canada
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I believe the only reason why you were asked for a security deposit is probably your credit is poor.
    Good credit people don't need to pay any security deposit.

Feedback Score
    The Tab is supposed to cover part of the cost of your phone (I think $200 on the $30 plan).

So if you buy a $449 phone on Tab, you pay $249 plus tax. You owe WIND $200 from month 0.

When you get your bill, they take 10% of the value of your pre-tax bill ($3/month on the $30 plan plus any extra usage) and subtract that from your tab.

After a year you'll have knocked about $36 (plus any extra usage) off your tab and the amount you owe WIND. If your phone breaks or is lost or you replace it (and want another Tab) or you close your account, you'll owe WIND the balance of the Tab (in my example $164 after 1 year).

The Tab is "forgiven" after 3 years of service. It is essentially a 3 year contract. If you want out of the contract, you pay the balance of the Tab and walk.

My wife has a Tab with money owing even though the phone is already gone. She broke it after 7 months, so we bought a new one outright and will just pay the Tab slowly until it is done after the 3 year period.

Feedback Score
    So I paid full price for the phone, I might as well not even be on Windtab. What a retarded system.

Carrier
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    I could be wrong, but this is how I'm reading it:
    You paid $249 for the phone, and the remaining $200 went on a tab. As well, you gave them $200 as a security deposit because your credit score wasn't good enough to qualify without it. All together, a grand total of $449.
    At some point, they would give the deposit back to you though, so you aren't really paying the full price in the long term.
    Anyone know how long they hold the money? I haven't got a clue.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using HowardForums
    Rome wasn't built in a day, but if Wind was the builder, it would still be under construction.

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeiphone View Post
    I believe the only reason why you were asked for a security deposit is probably your credit is poor.
    Good credit people don't need to pay any security deposit.
    Way to misjudge

Many things can cause a false security deposit
    Recently moving (rerun check with old address)
    Married name (rerun check with maiden name)
    Errors in application (verify info to rerun check)
    No credit history (eg just turn 18 or new immigrant)
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Nexus 4
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tab is exactly like a contract. Some phones will suck you in for 4 years thats outrageous. I would never go on tab or contract.

FYI. Why would you buy the phone from wind? Order it from the official Google play store, about a few days shipping after order process and way cheaper too. 8g for $309 + shipping and tax or 16gb for $359 + shipping and tax. I played for 16gb shipping very quick about 4 days and total including tax and shipping $422. Bout $20 saving with no tab

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtrader View Post
    Tab is exactly like a contract. Some phones will suck you in for 4 years thats outrageous. I would never go on tab or contract.

FYI. Why would you buy the phone from wind? Order it from the official Google play store, about a few days shipping after order process and way cheaper too. 8g for $309 + shipping and tax or 16gb for $359 + shipping and tax. I played for 16gb shipping very quick about 4 dIays and total including tax and shipping $422. Bout $20 saving with no tab
    It's essentially free money. If you plan on sticking with Wind, then why not? For the $20, after a few months the Wind phone becomes cheaper (depending on unlocking, etc.). If you decide to leave Wind, you pay off the remaining Tab and walk.

Unless you're buying phones outright second hand I don't see anything wrong with the Tab.

If you're a new customer you might get service credits for bringing your own phone which might be of value, but for existing customers these credits are unavailable, so why not buy a new phone on Tab if you want a new phone.

I am planning on buying my Q10 from Wind on the tab because it's $200 in "free money" if I stick around for 3 years, otherwise I buy it out at a similar cost to if I bought it outright somewhere else.

Phone
    LG Nexus 5 rooted, with Android 4.4 KitKat
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    What rubs me the wrong way about the notion of tabs is that the customer on a tab pays the same monthly rate that he would without a tab. That means that the tab users are freeloding on the non-tab users. When Wind started doing it I didn't think it was a good idea, and I was glad Mobilicity never followed suit.

Feedback Score
    There's no freeloading (for new customers) with Wind's current promotions.

If you use the service credits they give you upon signing up, you get an equivalent dollar value of service credits as you would a tab (bring your own phone = $200 service credits on the $30 plan; WindTab = $200 on the $30 plan)

With the big 3 you get 10% credit, which over 3 years doesn't equal the entire cost of the subsidy you would get if you bought a phone from them. Wind had to introduce the Tab to compete. Mobilicity is a model of what not to do, Wind is at least hanging on.

Phone
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    For new customers, sure, but how about the ones who are already loyal Wind customers? Aren't they subsidising the tab users and new bring-your-own-phone customers who get the $200 credit? It still doesn't look fair to me.

Feedback Score
    It's a business decision made by Wind. Might not be fair, but all those new subs ultimately lead to a stronger company that can survive and expand.

If they don't offer this money upfront, some people end up with the competition, even though the plans cost more month to month.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i9250
    Carriers
    Wind/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I am on the BYOP, signed up last Thur on a month to month (Wind 30 plan). Does that mean I also qualify for the $200 service credits?

Quote Originally Posted by markf_2 View Post
    There's no freeloading (for new customers) with Wind's current promotions.

If you use the service credits they give you upon signing up, you get an equivalent dollar value of service credits as you would a tab (bring your own phone = $200 service credits on the $30 plan; WindTab = $200 on the $30 plan)

With the big 3 you get 10% credit, which over 3 years doesn't equal the entire cost of the subsidy you would get if you bought a phone from them. Wind had to introduce the Tab to compete. Mobilicity is a model of what not to do, Wind is at least hanging on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Phone
    Carrier
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roadcarver1971 View Post
    I am on the BYOP, signed up last Thur on a month to month (Wind 30 plan). Does that mean I also qualify for the $200 service credits?
    According to what markf_2 posted above, you would appear to. It definitely sounds like it's worth calling them.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i9250
    Carriers
    Wind/Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I sent Wind a web post yesterday inquiring about the service credits. I received an email this morning that the service credits will appear after 30 days of continuous service.

Quote Originally Posted by gun26 View Post
    According to what markf_2 posted above, you would appear to. It definitely sounds like it's worth calling them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums