Thread: Can I upgrade to a smart phone and not use it?

Phones
    Nexus One
    HTC Touch Cruise (Retired)
    Dopod P800W (Retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Can I upgrade to a smart phone and not use it?

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before but I can't seem to find it.

I have several lines on a Family Plan. The smartphones on the plan are not eligible for upgrade but the non-smartphones are eligible. I'm sure some of you already know where this is going.

I would like to use the upgrade eligibility on that non-smartphone line but keep using the non-smartphone on that line. Can I do this and not have to pay for a data plan on that line if I dont activate it with that non-smartphone SIM?

Phones
    NOKIA Lumia 1520, NOKIA Lumia 920 (wife's phone, NOW)
    NOKIA N8 (silver, unlocked) SOLD !
    NOKIA E71 (unlocked) LUV'd that phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've done it, but always on a smartphone to smartphone basis. I actually did it for my niece ... she's on another (separate) family plan, but thru a store rep. It extends the contract on the line upgraded. You should be able to order online & activate on another line. U may have to cancel the data on the upgraded line ?
    I'll wait for Earl to weigh in on this, he should know ...
    informed/intelligent comments are welcome ... BS - not so much ...

peace,
    ROK

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You are not required to use any telephone you purchase directly from the carrier. If you received a subsidy, you have to get the required contract regardless of which telephone you actually use.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    Nexus One
    Dopod P800W (Retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Earl,

Thanks for the help. I am aware of the contract extension and I'm Ok with that. My only concern is having to pay for a data plan on a line that wont be used.

How would one go about doing this? When I go through the steps online I it requires that you pick a data plan. If so, am I right to assume that it will let me deselect it later when there is no smartphone attached to that number? Or do I have to go into a store to do something like this?

Thanks again...

Feedback Score
    After 1 month of usage you can just call AT&T and give them IMEI for your non-smartphone and ask them to take data plan off since it is not a smartphone. An AT&T rep can confirm this to you.

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've done it after one minute. And most of the time, you can even sell the handset, but some retailers may have supposed restrictions. Read their terms & conditions.

Feedback Score
    When my lines came up for upgrade a year ago, ATT told me it's totally fine if I get 5 Galaxy S3's, take out the SIMs and sell them on Ebay. I switched the SIM's to my old feature phones and didn't even have to keep the data plans. Money in the bank. ATT told me the phones are a trade off for me agreeing to stay in contract for another two years, and what I do with them is up to me.

Ask if that's still their policy.

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    When my lines came up for upgrade a year ago, ATT told me it's totally fine if I get 5 Galaxy S3's, take out the SIMs and sell them on Ebay. I switched the SIM's to my old feature phones and didn't even have to keep the data plans. Money in the bank. ATT told me the phones are a trade off for me agreeing to stay in contract for another two years, and what I do with them is up to me.

Ask if that's still their policy.
    This is sort of what I learned to do some years ago. Customers either use or lose these subsidies(which you the customer pays for). It's different now, I guess, but some years ago, when an etf was maybe $125 or whatever, and a new handset was maybe the same , there were big discussions here about whether to do the upgrade which required the contract extension.

Someone pointed out the obvious, ie, get the upgrade and if you need to cancel, sell the "newer" handset, to mostly, if not completely offset the etf, and move on. With the non subsidized price of smartphones today, there's some money to be made/saved by upgrading, and promptly selling them, especially the first few days after introduction.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    On a secondary line, you get a new device for $200 more than the subsidized price every twenty months. You can use that telephone or sell it. The amount realized is less for the primary line and first secondary line since the first two lines cost more that the third through fifth lines.

Phones
    Nexus One
    Dopod P800W (Retired)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It had crossed my mind to upgrade the other line in case something came out that I had to have before my upgrade was ready.

On a secondary if its every 20 months for subsidized + $200, how long is it before you can get a new device at just the subsidized price?

When I check the AT&T upgrade options online, it says my third line can get the Galaxy S3 (32GB) for $249. My First line is eligible for an iPhone upgrade at a partial discount now. It says I can get a full discount on an iPhone upgrade early next year which I think is about 20 months from when I last got a full upgrade. It's specific to the iPhone, are the time frames different for other smartphones?

Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post
    It had crossed my mind to upgrade the other line in case something came out that I had to have before my upgrade was ready.

On a secondary if its every 20 months for subsidized + $200, how long is it before you can get a new device at just the subsidized price?

When I check the AT&T upgrade options online, it says my third line can get the Galaxy S3 (32GB) for $249. My First line is eligible for an iPhone upgrade at a partial discount now. It says I can get a full discount on an iPhone upgrade early next year which I think is about 20 months from when I last got a full upgrade. It's specific to the iPhone, are the time frames different for other smartphones?
    No difference. For whatever reason the site and systems all still refer to "iPhone upgrades", a holdover from when iPhones were on a different upgrade cycle than any other phone (They made exceptions for the yearly releases at the time).

As for the OP, I think many people do this actually, I know I almost have never actually used the upgrade on a line to buy a phone for that line specifically. I've even added lines to the account just to get a phone (then remove all data/etc from that line and pay $10 a month til contract runs out, which at the time beat any alternative means to getting the phone).
    My opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer AT&T.

Phones
    att note 3, vzw charge
    ATT Note 3
    VZW Charge
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by phoenyx View Post

On mine, it appears to be about 18 months. I had one slightly sooner. Use'em or loose'm.