Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just how bad is throttled speed?

Phones
    Samsung A930
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Just how bad is throttled speed?

I just got the iPhone 5 and have unlimited data on it.

Most of the time I am on a wifi network.

I am considering lowering my data plan to 2gb or even the basic plan. I understand that the data gets throttled down once you hit the cap.

Would the following things still be usable while throttled? I don't care if it takes an extra 10 seconds to load, just as long as it works.

1. Email (I'm pretty sure this isn't a problem).
    2. Using Maps to check traffic and get directions.
    3. Streaming Pandora.

Thanks

Carrier
    T-Mobile Value
    Feedback Score
    When I was on the monthly $50 plan with 100Mb 4G data, the speed went to ~120kbps. Still usable. I don't stream, but from what I heard, you can still stream Pandora on low quality.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dagger007 View Post

I am considering lowering my data plan to 2gb or even the basic plan. I understand that the data gets throttled down once you hit the cap.

Would the following things still be usable while throttled? I don't care if it takes an extra 10 seconds to load, just as long as it works.

3. Streaming Pandora.

Thanks
    last time i spoke with a t-mobile rep, they told me the throttle hits around 60kbps. That sucks.

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Blackberry 9700
    Blackberry 8900
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Vonage
    Feedback Score
    yes, 60kpbs is the speed I see when I am throttled. Upload speeds are somewhat higher, around 180Kbps.

Quote Originally Posted by youngtjjones View Post
    last time i spoke with a t-mobile rep, they told me the throttle hits around 60kbps. That sucks.

Phones
    Samsung A930
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by archerian View Post
    yes, 60kpbs is the speed I see when I am throttled. Upload speeds are somewhat higher, around 180Kbps.
    How crippled is your phone when throttled? Does your google maps still work?

It sounds like pandora wouldn't work.

Feedback Score
    Edge barely streams at full speed. Honestly I would say bad. You would need real patience for mapping software.

Phones
    Nexus 4
    Blackberry 9700
    Blackberry 8900
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Vonage
    Feedback Score
    I have been able to use only Email/Whatsapp to a reasonable extent. Maps will load very slowly, but not usable for navigation or anything that I would use Maps for. I haven't used Pandora in a while, assuming it would in all probability be an unpleasurable experience

How crippled is your phone when throttled? Does your google maps still work?

It sounds like pandora wouldn't work.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I was very close to hitting my throttle point this weekend on the last day of my billing cycle. So I figured what the heck, I'll see what this throttling is like.

Its a hard 64 Kbps up and down and ~100ms latency. I'll give a comparison shot for reference.

Also, don't let the erroneous latency from dual-carrier throw you off. You'll see the correct latency in my good speed test. Mind you this is both while sitting in the same spot in my bedroom.

Spotify and iHeartRadio were both nearly useless. Pandora was flawless after initial buffering. eBay took forever to load, but most moble browsing wasn't terrible. The latency is a big factor with browsing. Tweetbot didn't miss a beat except when trying to load images which took me back to my days on EDGE with my iPhone 4, less than a month ago. iMessage was no issue at all either. And I don't remember EMail being any worse than normal.

Name:  photo (1).PNG
Views: 6536
Size:  73.7 KBName:  photo (2).PNG
Views: 6494
Size:  73.3 KBName:  photo.PNG
Views: 6416
Size:  62.6 KB

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Pandora and using navigation is out. Email will work ok, without any large images.

Its fairly useless.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reedacus25 View Post
    I was very close to hitting my throttle point this weekend on the last day of my billing cycle. So I figured what the heck, I'll see what this throttling is like.

Its a hard 64 Kbps up and down and ~100ms latency. I'll give a comparison shot for reference.

Also, don't let the erroneous latency from dual-carrier throw you off. You'll see the correct latency in my good speed test. Mind you this is both while sitting in the same spot in my bedroom.

Spotify and iHeartRadio were both nearly useless. Pandora was flawless after initial buffering. eBay took forever to load, but most moble browsing wasn't terrible. The latency is a big factor with browsing. Tweetbot didn't miss a beat except when trying to load images which took me back to my days on EDGE with my iPhone 4, less than a month ago. iMessage was no issue at all either. And I don't remember EMail being any worse than normal.

Name:  photo (1).PNG
Views: 6536
Size:  73.7 KBName:  photo (2).PNG
Views: 6494
Size:  73.3 KBName:  photo.PNG
Views: 6416
Size:  62.6 KB
    Thanks for the empirical data!

Phones
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The throttle varies by market. In my market it's 64kbps and that makes even streaming radio problematic. Essentially, only the music apps which preload the next song in the queue are viable. Slacker and Pandora work. iheartradio is a no (even on 32kbps streams). Google Music a Spotify are a total loss as well. Google Maps is a no-go, but Navigation works. You'll probably need a few minutes for it to cache up the tiles while you're driving but it's functional for longer drives.

Text-based content like twitter, mail and google voice messages are just fine though.

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|------St Louis-------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Email is not a problem unless you're getting huge attachments.

Navigation is OK, but if the app streams audio over the network to read street names (as most of the free apps do) you won't hear the voices. Paid nav apps like Navigon and Sygic work as normal because those voices are stored in the device.

No experience streaming music while throttled, but I'd imagine it would be painful.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
    The throttle varies by market. In my market it's 64kbps and that makes even streaming radio problematic. Essentially, only the music apps which preload the next song in the queue are viable. Slacker and Pandora work. iheartradio is a no (even on 32kbps streams). Google Music a Spotify are a total loss as well. Google Maps is a no-go, but Navigation works. You'll probably need a few minutes for it to cache up the tiles while you're driving but it's functional for longer drives.

Text-based content like twitter, mail and google voice messages are just fine though.
    In what markets is it different? I'm a flight attendant and travel on all over even throttled. I've never noticed anything different.

Feedback Score
    It may be based on total amount of active users in a specific market.

Feedback Score

Just How Bad Is Throttled Speed?

3. Streaming Pandora.

Thanks
    I could easily get by in this situation doing the following:

1) Email using data.

2) Use Garmin StreetPilot Onboard (it stores maps on the iPhone 5) https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...prod98479.html

3) Use Slacker (Rather Than Pandora) and cache music to the iPhone 5. http://www.slacker.com/#guide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast