Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Getting Galaxy S4 Running on Sprint SERO/Legacy Working Off of HTC TP2 & Epic 4 G

Feedback Score

Getting Galaxy S4 Running on Sprint SERO/Legacy Working Off of HTC TP2 & Epic 4 G

It's been almost precisely 2 years since I started this thread about getting the Epic 4G running on SERO/Legacy plans, and the contributions of many seem to have made it a great source of information for getting everything working well:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...C-Touch-Pro-2/

I've just started getting my new Galaxy S4 running: I have voice, text, and what appears to be less-than-3g data. At the moment, there are also occasional error messages popping up on-screen that don't seem to be affecting the overall connection, a notification that I need to activate the phone won't go away, and another notification pops up from time to time saying I'm missing a SIM card.

Here's the process I've gone through, so far:

First, AlpineMan's very helpful thread on flashing the Galaxy Note 2 is where almost all of the useful information is:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35753067

Make sure to read through the first several posts to get through all of his very helpful FAQs and etc.

Here's where things went differently for me from AlpineMan's recommended procedures, or where I think additional notes could be helpful.

1) I couldn't root with MotoChopper, and it seems some others are having this problem, especially those with Android version 4.2.2 . Instead I used the CF Root method with Odin, which is helpfully explained in a video by QBKing77.

2) The "Get My MSL" app worked like a charm when used per AlpineMan's instructions, though apparently some others are having difficulty with it.

3) In re: the MEID field in DFS, there's a second box next to the HEX MEID input. For reasons explained later, I blanked out that box later on in the process.

4) After that, most everything went as AlpineMan said it should until steps 15 and 16. When I got to those points, I had voice and text but no data, and attempts to follow his instructions to update profile/PRL simply led the phone into the activation software to try to activate. *2 wasn't helpful, either.

5) So now that I had voice and text, but no data and this activation issue, I went off on my own. I forget the precise errors that I was getting on data; I think they were 67 and maybe 131, relating to sign-in problems on data.

So at this point, I simply took the Epic 4G I'd long ago programmed to work and loaded up its setting in DFS, did a bunch of screengrabs, and then copied anything that came up different into the GS4. These included the following DFS items:

a) MEID, removing the number from the box to the right of HEX.
    b) Blanking-out IMEI data.
    c) Changing a number of NAM items, in both NAM1 and NAM2, and some other items to the right.
    d) Under Mobile IP, enabling all six profiles, and changing the HA addresses and other settings.

I then also went into ##3424# (##DATA#) and copied over everything that was in my Epic 4G, which had come from my TP2. This mostly included a change to the username and the AAA password.

Now I've got voice and text and what appears to be slow data. The phone doesn't seem to be interrupting to try to activate, but the notification hasn't gone away and as I said above, I get this "No SIM" notification, too.

Otherwise, all's working well. I hope this helps others, and that we're able to work together to get these working as well as we've gotten other phones working over the past couple of years.

Onward & upward...

Device(s)
    Vzn S3
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint Sero FF
    Feedback Score
    since youre rooted its easy to fix the No Sim Notification
    you go into build.prop and change
    keyguard.no_require_sim=false
    to
    keyguard.no_require_sim=true
    Then add
    ro.config.donot_nosim=true
    Should be gone after a reboot

Feedback Score
    On profile one, did you use [email protected] or [email protected]? Also, on profile 1, did you use 6 digit AAA key (seems to use the format of xxYxxx where x= lowercase letter and Y= number) or did you use the hex 1192 item?

I'm also curious as to which NAM settings you changed. I did have outbound voice and inbound text for ~10 minutes after having written MEID with dfs and manually entering MDN and MSID settings, but afterwards all calls were routed to an automated error recording stating that "Your authentication code could not be verified".
    Last edited by MegaMan1; 06-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    In the early days of Note 2 flashing, folks were experiencing a similar behavior re: activation. It turned out, there was a bug in the phone itself that garwynn fixed. He has a dedicated thread on it in one of the Sprint Note 2 forums in XDA. Perhaps this activation thing you're seeing on the S4 is the same problem. I linked the fix in my Note 2 flashing thread in XDA. I would highly advise NOT to apply the fix on your S4 until it is confirmed. Perhaps go in one of the S4 threads in XDA and ask.

Feedback Score
    jimmyjohn please update and confirm if you've tried the above and if it made a difference.

Also, this was on the other thread ... "if you are flashing a 3g phone to a 4g phone that you should set the 4g phone to use 3g data only before you start because there was one point where data wouldn't work at all on the viper 4g until i set it to 3g only and rebooted"

I really want to buy an S4 but only will do so if I know it will work on legacy plans. Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    Also, jimmyjohn, please follow this video guide. He does get S4 on Boost,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONW0UvcYoQ

Please replicate and let me know how it goes ...

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If auto activation doesn't work, you can always set the MEID and profile 0 and 1 manually to get it fully working. You will also need to set the MSID and MDN manually. If you're getting slow data, then most likely one or more of these conditions exist:

1) Wrong 1192 key was used (typically 32 hex characters long)

2) Wrong profile 1 AAA key was used (typically 6 characters and is case sensitive)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dubroz View Post
    Also, jimmyjohn, please follow this video guide. He does get S4 on Boost,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zONW0UvcYoQ

Please replicate and let me know how it goes ...
    I watched the video. Essentially do the manual programming of the mentioned above. One thing I noticed that after reboot, the phone still wanted to run the hands free activation process. This is the same behavior as what I've seen in the early Note 2 flashing days.

You guys can read up on it if you google "L900ErrFix". It has something to do with chameleon.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Looks like the hands free activation issue can easily be fixed by renaming the SprintDM.apk found in /system/app to something like SprintDM.bak.

Feedback Score
    We have confirmation on xda that strive53 has 3G working on flashed s4 ...

"In order for me to get 3g on my boost flashed s4 I had to input the settings for profile 1 that came from my donor. Its a different password than the 32 digit password u use on profile 0. My s4 would not ota with just profile 0 set. Stil doesnt but 3g works!"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2304746

Now can someone with an s4 give an update here as well ...

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Have a look at my post here for successful GS4 activation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=398

Confirmation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=400

Feedback Score
    I got a new S4 that was never activated on sprint. I followed all steps, updated profile 0 & profile 1 per your last post on XDA ... and I was able to flash an S4 to sprint legacy. I did not get any error 16's, 67's, or 131's. *2 does not bring up sprint screen. OTA did not work. I expected this since this is a new phone without sprintapps. I know how to fix the nagging hands free activation request.

My issue ... I have extremely slow data and am trying to figure out how to correct this. This is not a location issue, it is downloading with full bars at 71kbit/sec and 1.72s latency. Most likely 1x only.

AlpineMan, you seem to be the only one who is active with helping people here. Please make a suggestion.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Try PRL 56012.

Feedback Score
    I loaded PRL 56012, no luck. 89 kbit/sec w/ 1.636s latency.

Any other ideas? I manually copied NAM1 settings in DFS so S4 matches Epic4G. Could this be a bad NAM setting?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note II
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What's the speed on your Epic 4G?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast