Thread: Samsung I747 vs I9300 - on att straight talk program

Feedback Score

Samsung I747 vs I9300 - on att straight talk program

New to android and straight talk but wanting to make switch from Tracfone to Straight talk $ 45 plan, due to using more txt, mms, and email functions thru phone. Plus some limited internet service and having some useful apps on a phone sounds intriguing. I think I have decided to get the Samsung S3 phone but a little confused about whether to get the I747 model or the I9300 model. I know I want to be on the ATT towers, and have already ordered the straight talk att Micro sim, just not sure which S3 model would work better. Any suggestions, advantages, or disadvantages of these phones used with Straight talk on the ATT towers would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gman897 View Post
    New to android and straight talk but wanting to make switch from Tracfone to Straight talk $ 45 plan, due to using more txt, mms, and email functions thru phone. Plus some limited internet service and having some useful apps on a phone sounds intriguing. I think I have decided to get the Samsung S3 phone but a little confused about whether to get the I747 model or the I9300 model. I know I want to be on the ATT towers, and have already ordered the straight talk att Micro sim, just not sure which S3 model would work better. Any suggestions, advantages, or disadvantages of these phones used with Straight talk on the ATT towers would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    I have the i747. Works great on straight talk. The phone put in all the apn settings on first bootup and away I went.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HowardForums

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Thanks!
    The Galaxy S3 L9300 is the unlocked international model and sports the better CPU than the L747 U.S model. It has a quad core CPU and the U.S carrier versions have a dual core.

If you're really wanting a S3 I'd go with the international model.

But if it was me I'd get a Nexus 4 ..but each to their own.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ztmike View Post
    The Galaxy S3 L9300 is the unlocked international model and sports the better CPU than the L747 U.S model. It has a quad core CPU and the U.S carrier versions have a dual core.

Only you are forgetting to mention that the USA versions has 2 gigs of ram instead of the 1 gig of ram the European version with the "better" processor got. :P

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Carrier
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    My mind is always made up by looking at XDA and seeing which phone has the better support.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1705 i747

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1563 i9300

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Febby View Post
    Only you are forgetting to mention that the USA versions has 2 gigs of ram instead of the 1 gig of ram the European version with the "better" processor got. :P

Don't think it'll matter that much over the improved CPU performance.

But I stand by my Nexus 4 choice.

Feedback Score
    Don't think it'll matter that much over the improved CPU performance.

But I stand by my Nexus 4 choice.

It does matter for some. 1Gig of ram wasn't good enough for me when I had the international s3. The touch wiz software was just using too much ram especially as they upgrade. To each his own usage though. I'll say that running a cm ROM the ram becomes huge extra free ram so in a way it doesn't matter.

Feedback Score

What is it about the Nexus 4 that you like better than the Samsung S3 phones. It doesn't look like the Nexus has a SD slot like the Samsung does unless I just missed that? Not sure I even need the extra memory slot, but it sounds like it would be a nice feature.

Feedback Score
    After doing some researh, I'm reading that some people with the I9300 phones are having issues with txt, mms, features. Is this a common issue with this particular model or have the issues been resolved?

Carrier
    T Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    What is it about the Nexus 4 that you like better than the Samsung S3 phones. It doesn't look like the Nexus has a SD slot like the Samsung does unless I just missed that? Not sure I even need the extra memory slot, but it sounds like it would be a nice feature.
    I like my Nexus 4 because it actually gets updated and it comes straight from Google and it runs straight Android.

Its also cheaper and the hardware is also better and also comes GSM carrier unlocked.

But yes the back is unremovable meaning no external SD. But with cloud storage options its a non issue.

Feedback Score
    Well after doing some additional research and ZTMIKE mentioning the Nexus 4 phone, I am leaning towards the Nexus 4 at this point.

I was not aware of this phone until now, and I do have a Nexus 7 tablet that I really like. So I think I will also give the Nexus 4 phone a shot. Price wise its about the same as the Samsungs. The nexus 16gb is about $385 after taxes and shipping vs the Samsung S3 which are going for around $400-450 on ebay (new, unlocked). I'm not a fan of the non replaceable battery but hopefully it will be sufficient. I only have used about 5 GB on my Iphone so thinking the 16 gb on the Nexus 4 should be more than sufficient for me.

The processor and 2 gb ram, along with the 4.2 operating system as well as being a google fan and nexus 7 owner have pretty much convinced me to get this phone on order.

So any last comments or suggestions before I make the leap. Still plan to put this phone on the Straight talk $45 plan using att towers. I also want to keep my number from my tracfone account and move that to this phone. Also does anyone know if I can move my minutes from my tracfone account to one of my kids tracfone before making the number switch, as I assume at that point those minutes and time would all be trashed?

Feedback Score
    Just be ready for battery life! I suggest getting a power case, I think, as they give extra battery life its a sweet device but sadly I needed my sdcard

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well after doing some additional research and ZTMIKE mentioning the Nexus 4 phone, I am leaning towards the Nexus 4 at this point.

I was not aware of this phone until now, and I do have a Nexus 7 tablet that I really like. So I think I will also give the Nexus 4 phone a shot. Price wise its about the same as the Samsungs. The nexus 16gb is about $385 after taxes and shipping vs the Samsung S3 which are going for around $400-450 on ebay (new, unlocked). I'm not a fan of the non replaceable battery but hopefully it will be sufficient. I only have used about 5 GB on my Iphone so thinking the 16 gb on the Nexus 4 should be more than sufficient for me.

The processor and 2 gb ram, along with the 4.2 operating system as well as being a google fan and nexus 7 owner have pretty much convinced me to get this phone on order.

So any last comments or suggestions before I make the leap. Still plan to put this phone on the Straight talk $45 plan using att towers. I also want to keep my number from my tracfone account and move that to this phone. Also does anyone know if I can move my minutes from my tracfone account to one of my kids tracfone before making the number switch, as I assume at that point those minutes and time would all be trashed?
    I had the Nexus 4. Good phone. But very fragile being made of glass front and back and the camera was not that good.