Thread: LG 800/840 App Question

Phone
    Motorola W376g
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

LG 800/840 App Question

I'm considering these phones and am now leaning toward the 840, but have a question about apps. I know through regular subscription smart phones you can get an app that scans a product's bar code and tells you where you can get it and at what price. Is that app available or included in either of these phones? If not, I'm probably out for a simple phone. Thanks.
    He who dies with the most toys losses the most.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redsafety View Post
    I'm considering these phones and am now leaning toward the 840, but have a question about apps. I know through regular subscription smart phones you can get an app that scans a product's bar code and tells you where you can get it and at what price. Is that app available or included in either of these phones? If not, I'm probably out for a simple phone. Thanks.
    most of those scanner apps do not work on tracfones because the camera is fixed focus.

Feedback Score
    Check this out. I installed it on my LG840G

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Turk/single...3607&t=4935151

Urge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Urge21 View Post
    Check this out. I installed it on my LG840G Urge
    I did it too on my LG840 and it works. The LG 840 has never been activated. I did the whole thing on wifi including using the app, not just the download.

I downloaded and installed the app, then launched the app which automatically opened the camera (I guess it has permissions?), I snapped the picture and the app transmitted it in to wherever, replied with the info. All on wifi without using any cell minutes and not even activating the phone.

The camera in the LG840 does not have autofocus, which is important for the QR app, so you have to be careful and precise when snapping the pic. That might be the only weak point in using this phone for QR apps.

Feedback Score
    Installs but doesn't work on LG800G. Says something about phone needing a firmware upgrade for the app to work. Oh well, wasted one minute to download. Killed some time while waiting for Tracfone Forum lady to work on my transfer.

Feedback Score
    I've downloaded the jad file from the link provided above but it won't install on my LG840G. Was it just the single file you got? I downloaded to my PC and put it on the phone from there. It says its an untrusted Midlet, and even if I continue and press Download it stops with an "Invalid descriptor" error. How did you get the app to install?

==============

Never mind. I see that you really do need to actually download the app from the phone itself using the phone's browser and not just port it over from your computer via data cable to the phone. It works then!
    Last edited by ionchase; 06-12-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: correcting information