Thread: Telus mike will shutdown in 2015

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Telus mike will shutdown in 2015

TELUS MIKE will shutdown in 2015, so I am assuming all services will be moved to TELUS LTE with PTT?

Your opinions please and thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Not sure when MIKE is shutting down, but they will be completely losing their US roaming coverage by the end of June.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The information I provided here is confirmed from a credible Telus Mike Territory Mgr. Telus is developing PTT silently on their LTE network.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Data-Only)
    Feedback Score
    There already a number PTT solutions over data networks, including a few propriety systems operated by providers (Bell has one), and public systems that work exceptionally well (such as Zello).

I personally have been using Zello for almost a year now and they've improved it a lot in that time. On one-to-one PTT connections the latency has been reduced to just 1/4 to 1/2 second and the sound quality is definitely much better than what I remembered from Mike PTT (where it is only a 4 kilobit CODEC).

Not that many years ago I wasn't too thrilled with the quality of IP-based PTT systems and I didn't think there was much chance many people would give up on iDEN, but things have definitely changed and I no longer believe that iDEN has enough PTT superiority to keep it going much longer.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The best system was still the Kodiak system. I hear they've moved on to other things. But man was that system slick and fast. It essentially called up a whole circuit switched connection with every "Key" press. Oh well... MiKe was fun when we got US integration for a while as we all started using it cross border all the way into South America!

Now it's faster for us all to just text/IM/WhatsApp/whatever, especially when we have to talk to someone who's annoying to talk to ;-)
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Telus has told me that they are announcing their new system in September.

One problem with the systems like Zello or Prip is that the hardware is not optimized for PTT in noisy environments. Will someone bring out a smartphone with a piercing speaker?

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    Telus has told me that they are announcing their new system in September.

One problem with the systems like Zello or Prip is that the hardware is not optimized for PTT in noisy environments. Will someone bring out a smartphone with a piercing speaker?

Sent with the HoFo App
    The Sonim on Bell is piercingly loud, and the PTT platform is pretty solid.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Telus Link

http://ow.ly/pnI4Z

TELUS Link connects teams faster, in more places and on more devices

TORONTO – TELUS Link, the next generation Push To Talk (PTT) service over TELUS’ 4G HSPA and LTE networks as well as Wi-Fi, will be available to customers in mid-October. TELUS Link will provide instant ‘walkie-talkie’ voice communication with an individual or a team as well as standard wireless service, enabling members of a work team to connect in less than one second wherever they are. Customers can also roam in the U.S. and around the world with enhanced coverage via PTT over Wi-Fi.

“TELUS’ constant innovation allows us to meet and exceed the extremely high standards our business customers have come to expect from our technology,” said Jim Senko, vice-president of Small Business Solutions, TELUS. “TELUS Link is the natural evolution of our industry-leading Mike service and is Canada’s only Push To Talk service available over Wi-Fi. With access to our blazing fast 4G LTE data speeds, TELUS Link customers will experience expanded services as well as a seamless transition to all major smartphone operating systems.”

TELUS Link will allow people working for Canadian businesses in fields such as construction, transport, energy, utilities and manufacturing to connect quickly with individuals or large groups in less than one second on the TELUS 4G network, which now covers 97 per cent of Canada's population from coast-to-coast. It combines the best features of a walkie-talkie with the advantages of today’s latest smartphones including extremely high speeds and bandwidth for data, excellent sound quality, and increased productivity advantages.

Compatible with smartphones on all major operating systems, TELUS Link can also be downloaded and used on rugged phones like the Samsung Galaxy Rugby LTE. In addition, TELUS’ new ultra-rugged voice phone available this month, the Sonim XP5560, will soon be able to access the TELUS Link service.

Unlimited Canadian PTT features and plans start at only $15 per month, with offers such as $0 hardware available for existing Mike customers interested in moving to TELUS Link, U.S. roaming, and shared data across a team. To learn more about TELUS Link, please visit www.telus.com/teluslink.

For customers who wish to remain on the iDEN network, TELUS intends to support the Mike service over at least the next couple of years. 4G LTE networks feature device data speeds of up to 75 Mbps – up to 3.5 times faster than HSPA+ speeds. This translates into incredibly fast Push To Talk call setup time and increased data flexibility.
    Current Phone: Blackberry Bold 2: 9700 Bell Mobility..

Feedback Score
    Wonder if I could call them and get my i930 nextel activated

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    yes you can always active a mike phone ! coverage is really limited in some area ... there are some great plan ( talktough @ 45 or 60 $ who provide unlimited mins in Canada with unlimited PTT ! )

A nextel phone must be unlocked too !

Some friend have the xt626 from nextel... have a prepaid koodo simcard for data and sms ! and mike simcard for unlimited voice and ptt

Feedback Score
    Bell uses the Kodiak system,but what does the Teluslink use?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    …pretty sure Telus is also using the Kodiak system. Theirs is really the only one that isn't still like the old 10-4 service.

In fact the Kodiak system can do push-to all sorts of stuff like video and video. That doesn't mean Bell or Telus will ever implement it. It certainly isn't a new platform. The Kodiak system came out way back in about 2005 or so. Alltel actually implemented it around 2006 or so on their CDMA network for some markets. It's old hat.

Carrier(s)
    telus
    Feedback Score
    So how is the kodiak system different from Zello?

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrshire View Post
    So how is the kodiak system different from Zello?
    Carrier-grade, tested, reliable solution.

Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie5string View Post
    …pretty sure Telus is also using the Kodiak system. Theirs is really the only one that isn't still like the old 10-4 service.

In fact the Kodiak system can do push-to all sorts of stuff like video and video. That doesn't mean Bell or Telus will ever implement it. It certainly isn't a new platform. The Kodiak system came out way back in about 2005 or so. Alltel actually implemented it around 2006 or so on their CDMA network for some markets. It's old hat.
    TELUS is not using Kodiak.