Thread: Bad ESN. Can these phones still be used?

Feedback Score

Bad ESN. Can these phones still be used?

So I'm currently looking for a Samsung Galaxy s3/4 because I'm using a byod phone plan, Red Pocket (if you ever heard of it). Naturally, always hitting ebay and craigslist and I'm a cheapskate so I'm always looking for the best deal. I've been seeing unfortunately a lot of unlocked Galaxy s3/4 with bad ESNs. Now I know that you can't use that phone with the carrier that phone has a bad ESN with but since these phones do offer the GSM slot (micro I believe yes?) and that's what my service uses, is it possible to use my sim and have it function on a phone with a bad ESN? Don't want to buy a phone with one and get radioactively ****ed.

Phones
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    iPhone 4s-64 + many others
    Carriers
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Don't get a bad esn phone it will be worthless if you intend to use it as a phone. The google galaxy nexus 4 is about 300 and is a good gsm phone. I would avoid phones with a bad esn simply because I do not want to possess stolen merchandise.
    trying to come up with better signature.......

Phone
    Blackberry 9700 Bold, Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Carriers
    Bell Mobility
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn View Post
    Don't get a bad esn phone it will be worthless if you intend to use it as a phone. The google galaxy nexus 4 is about 300 and is a good gsm phone. I would avoid phones with a bad esn simply because I do not want to possess stolen merchandise.
    Some carriers still allow bad ESN but be careful as there are national programs that share info between carriers

Its better to sell a bad esn overseas but I see many listing on ebay so some people try it

Contrary to pattyrns misinformation a phone can have a bad esn for a variety of reasons (eg carrier billing dispute, you dont pay bill, line gets cancelled, even if you are correct the esn wont be cleared until after court which can take years for larger corporate accounts)
    It is sad I need to state the obvious but some people just don't get it. Any posts I make are my own OPINIONS and in no way represent the views of my employer

Feedback Score
    hmm sounds like a Bad ESN is virtually worthless...in America. Welp, then, that's a drag but I guess it can't be helped. Glad I didn't buy anything yet.

Feedback Score
    Yes it can just flash it over to another carrier