Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: iOS7 Beta on Straight Talk

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    Many iPhone users never own their iPhones. Before they pay off the subsidy, they are in line for an early upgrade or regular upgrade to start the cycle again.
    Sure, but some do. I bought a factory unlocked 4S direct from Apple to use on ST, and although I haven't regretted it not being able to change the APN without SIM swap tricks or jailbreaking is a pain in the ***. As soon as Android get BTLE support I'm switching to my Nexus 4 full time.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Some and many are not absolutes. It is not one or the other. Both can exist in the same situation.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    One person (seems like a ST user from his Youtube video - HOME network tag on iPhone) said there's no APN editing and they patched the T-Mobile sim swap method.
    https://twitter.com/Mewstarz/status/344311958314569728
    https://twitter.com/Mewstarz/status/344409918473920512
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8SDA1SB5QE
    Are you sure they patched it? I'm thinking it's the Official T-Mobile carrier bundle preventing the menu from showing. Same goes for AT&T of course.
    I will have questions for you.
    Don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by br3akth3lim1t View Post
    Are you sure they patched it? I'm thinking it's the Official T-Mobile carrier bundle preventing the menu from showing. Same goes for AT&T of course.
    Yup, that's what I thought of today, too.

So, recalling that I have a Lycamobile sim around, I tried that, and it seems to work so far. Keep in mind I did this on an unlocked iPhone 4.

Right now I'm just testing to see if it keeps Straight Talk's APN/MMS settings. On a previous jailbroken 6.1.2 they would reset, but at least fixing that was easy since the menu was always accessible.

So far the only problem I have is that iMessage doesn't want to activate, but it seems common from looking at twitter.

Edit: That same Twitter user posted that the T-Mobile sim swap method ended up working after all. Go figure.
    https://twitter.com/Mewstarz/status/344773699578245120
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Phones
    Motorola W385
    LG 220CM
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sim swap still works on ios 7. Still no APN access with AT &T mvno sim.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After about 6 hours, iMessage finally activated on iOS 7.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Since there is no logical reason to impose this limitation to access of the cellular data network menu on unlocked devices, I filed a bug report with Apple. The volume of bug reports on the same subject increases their level of importance and urgency to Apple. We should all file this as a bug with apple, especially seeing as they're currently in the Beta phase with iOS7. Developers will surely be paying more attention to radar during the beta.

My bug report exists here:
    rdar://14124323

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/....woa/wa/signIn

Here is the contents of my report (feel free to copy & paste):
    Summary: When using a SIM card from an AT&T MVNO (Straight Talk, Net10, Red Dot, H20, PagePlus, Air Voice, Pure Talk) iOS automatically loads the AT&T carrier profile and blocks access to the Cellular Data Network menu in Settings.app without regard for the fact that these MVNOs do not use the same APN settings as AT&T. This happens on every iPhone with a sim card slot, even if the iPhone is factory unlocked or was purchased in the UK.

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Insert AT&T version of a sim card from Straight Talk, Net10, Red Dot, H20, PagePlus, Air Voice, or Pure Talk.
    2) Attempt to input the correct APN settings to enable that networks data access capabilities by going to Settings > General > Cellular > Cellular Data Network
    3) Notice that the Cellular Data Network menu does not appear

Expected Results: If the phone is unlocked, the cellular data network menu should appear so that the user can input the correct settings for their desired network

Actual Results: The cellular data network does not appear and the user is unable to input the correct settings for their Data APN, or MMS APN due to the carrier entitlements set by the incorrectly loaded AT&T carrier profile

Regression: This happens on all iPhones, regardless of their OS version.

Notes: If a device is unlocked (especially from the factory), it is not tied to a carrier, yet the purchaser of the iPhone is prevented from inputting the correct Data and MMS APN settings because the incorrect carrier profile is being loaded (The user is using an MVNO that rides on the AT&T network, not AT&T itself). An unlocked device should load the generic carrier profile 100% of the time so that the user who paid $649+ for their device actually receives what they paid for, which is a device that is not tied to a carrier or the "entitlements" they reap over those who purchased the phone with a subsidy.

This is a BUG in the software of iOS because it loads the incorrect carrier profile on an unlocked phone and prevents the user from correcting the issue by blocking access to the cellular data network menu.
    Remember to be nice when you create a bug report anywhere. You are only asking the developers to ignore your issue by being a meanie.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigkeller View Post
    Since there is no logical reason to impose this limitation to access of the cellular data network menu on unlocked devices, I filed a bug report with Apple. The volume of bug reports on the same subject increases their level of importance and urgency to Apple. We should all file this as a bug with apple, especially seeing as they're currently in the Beta phase with iOS7. Developers will surely be paying more attention to radar during the beta.

My bug report exists here:
    rdar://14124323

https://bugreport.apple.com/cgi-bin/....woa/wa/signIn

Here is the contents of my report (feel free to copy & paste):

Remember to be nice when you create a bug report anywhere. You are only asking the developers to ignore your issue by being a meanie.
    Good idea. Considering they're working on iOS 7 betas, the time is prime for change.

I will send a bug report in my own words, too.

Edit: Below is what I sent.

Summary: On a factory unlocked iPhone (regardless of OS version or iPhone model), using a sim card from an MVNO using the AT&T network results in the inability to manually change cellular data network settings, disabling data and MMS/picture messaging. This happens because the Cellular Data Network menu under General > Cellular, disappears after inserting the SIM card. The iPhone thinks it's an AT&T sim card, so it applies regular AT&T data/mms settings, which do not work for these MVNOs.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Insert sim card from AT&T based mvno (Straight Talk, Net10, Air Voice, H2O, good2Go Mobile, Red Pocket, Skyview, Jolt Mobile, Consumer Cellular, Pure Talk, etc).
    2. Attempt to change data/mms settings to match what the cell provider's website provides. Settings > General > Cellular > Cellular Data Network.
    3. Notice the Cellular Data Network menu option is not visible because you're using an AT&T based sim card.
    4. Attempt to use cellular data or send an MMS. Notice it will not work because the phone automatically (incorrectly) applies AT&T data settings.

Expected Results: The Cellular Data Network menu should be visible so a customer who purchased an unlocked iPhone can adjust his data and MMS settings, and the phone can work without any issues on the carrier of his choice.

Actual Results: The Cellular Data Network menu is disabled for AT&T based sim cards, not allowing the customer to adjust his data settings. Even when the iPhone automatically applies incorrect AT&T settings, it doesn't not provide a prompt to allow the customer to adjust his data settings with the help of his provider.

Regression: This happens on all iPhones, regardless of model or iOS version.

Notes: I've only mentioned AT&T based MVNOs (Mobile Virtual Network Operators), but this problem will occur on any other carrier that disables the Cellular Data Network. This happens because MVNOs use SIM cards from the main carrier, just with different data and MMS settings. Please consider a fix, considering that this problem does not exist on other smartphones or even feature phones, and prepaid mobile growth is increasing. This problem will only grow bigger if Apple decides to release a cheaper iPhone that keeps being rumored.
    Last edited by Volaris; 06-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    I called Apple and spoke to a senior advisor who put a feature request through their engineering department. I explained it very well and he agreed with me that it's wrong. Very nice guy actually and he took down every info I gave him about the matter and will forward it over.
    Everyone please let Apple know about this issue and express a dissatisfaction with it and they will eventually have to address it!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I filed a ticket as well a while back. My case number is:

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The hiding of the cellular data network settings is not a function of the telephone. The carrier has to request that the settings not be blocked when the telephone detects one of its SIM cards. A better solution is that each MVNO request carrier profiles for its network settings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The hiding of the cellular data network settings is not a function of the telephone. The carrier has to request that the settings not be blocked when the telephone detects one of its SIM cards. A better solution is that each MVNO request carrier profiles for its network settings.
    Yeah but apple chooses to make their phones function this way. They could easily fix the problem. The setting used to show on the older ios. An unlocked android is capable of editing the apn settings regardless of the carriers request to allow it.
    of

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone responds to the carrier profile. It has nothing to do with whether the iPhone is locked or unlocked. Many of the AT&T-branded telephones had the APN locked but visible. Many Android telephones required you to create a new APN setting or root the telephone to edit the preinstalled settings. Even Windows telephones had uneditable APN settings. The carrier profile is how carriers "brand" iPhones.
    Last edited by efparri; 06-16-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I think the APN setting is only on the debranded iPhone from Apples without any carrier filmware. I wonder if there is anyway to debrand it with a generic filmware.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    So why don't our full price, unlocked, carrier-free iPhone purchases from Apple allow us to edit the ST ATT Sim settings? Or maybe I misunderstood what you're saying.

Sent with the HoFo App

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast