Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: metro PCS new BYOD sim card

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    why are blackberry devices not allowed for BYOD?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzor View Post
    why are blackberry devices not allowed for BYOD?
    Probably because the carriers have to pay blackberry extra to provide services such as email and messenger and MPCS is not setup to do that or doesn't want to.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Probably because the carriers have to pay blackberry extra to provide services such as email and messenger and MPCS is not setup to do that or doesn't want to.

I was right then, because of BIS. Makes sense. Thanks!

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I'm in Dallas currently and I got a BYOD SIM. The SIM worked fine on the device that I took into the store. However, when I try to switch the SIM into two other unlocked devices, they won't register on the MPCS network. I am suspecting that the IMEI of the device may have to be added to the account for the device to work. I logged into the account online and selected change/upgrade device and it didn't recognize the IMEI number of either of the other devices. I also called customer service and they couldn't get the IMEI number to be recognized either.

That would be very lame if you couldn't change your devices at will by switching the SIM card like most GSM providers. Even more lame if it required a store visit each time because changes through the website would not work.

I will return to the store tomorrow with one of the other unlocked phones and see if indeed it's a situation with the IMEI number having to be entered into their system before the device will be registered.
    If further testing reveals that the IMEI needs to be registered or otherwise requires special provisioning then this is a disappointing news with BYOD with MetroPCS.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I'm in Dallas currently and I got a BYOD SIM. The SIM worked fine on the device that I took into the store. However, when I try to switch the SIM into two other unlocked devices, they won't register on the MPCS network. I am suspecting that the IMEI of the device may have to be added to the account for the device to work. I logged into the account online and selected change/upgrade device and it didn't recognize the IMEI number of either of the other devices. I also called customer service and they couldn't get the IMEI number to be recognized either.

That would be very lame if you couldn't change your devices at will by switching the SIM card like most GSM providers. Even more lame if it required a store visit each time because changes through the website would not work.

I will return to the store tomorrow with one of the other unlocked phones and see if indeed it's a situation with the IMEI number having to be entered into their system before the device will be registered.
    We already know that each new BYO IMEI requires a visit to a store/dealer, so it can be added to Metro's inventory (AKA, whitelist) and paired to a Metro SIM; I'm curious to learn whether users will be able to use the free self-service options to re-pair their SIM to a previously paired IMEI.

Phone
    LG Esteem
    Carrier
    METRO PCS
    Feedback Score
    yes spoke to a dealer in las vegas he told me ofcourse the sim is regestered to the imei/esn why wouldnt it be makes perfect sense.... also he states the tmobile phone did not have to be unlocked in order to be used so if ya have a tmobile phone thats not being used dont worry about getting it unlocked.
    Musician and Producer at chosen-1-records check out some of my work @ http://soundcloud.com/chosen-1-records

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zty View Post
    tmobile phone did not have to be unlocked in order to be used so if ya have a tmobile phone thats not being used dont worry about getting it unlocked.
    I hoped that would be the case...good to have confirmation. Now, what if the T-Mobile phone/account isn't fully paidoff?

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by for2njr View Post
    I hoped that would be the case...good to have confirmation. Now, what if the T-Mobile phone/account isn't fully paidoff?
    No blacklisted IMEI

Phones
    IPhone 5
    IPhone 5
    Samsung A707, Huawei Ascend
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (GSM)
    Boost (CDMA)
    Feedback Score
    okay this is how i see this working. tmobile wants all cdma phones off the network so they can shut down metro network so all that byod is just to register on tmobile network and keep it pushing

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    We already know that each new BYO IMEI requires a visit to a store/dealer, so it can be added to Metro's inventory (AKA, whitelist) and paired to a Metro SIM; I'm curious to learn whether users will be able to use the free self-service options to re-pair their SIM to a previously paired IMEI.
    But those of us on T-Mobile or AT&T didn't.
    Only because we are used to moving the SIM card at our own leisure nor are we familiar with "whitelisting". The only reason "pairing" the IMEI is done with accounts on T-Mobile and AT&T is to determine data plan requirements, not to "whitelist" devices for the purposes of authenticating to the network. Other that we can move the SIM to any device without going online, visiting a store, or calling CS.

Feedback Score
    I went back to the store today and they entered in the IMEI of the different device and re-entered the SIM number and the device immediately worked.

As for the self-service options, as I posted yesterday, the online option did not recognize the IMEI number nor did customer service's system when they tried to enter the IMEI.

So as of this time, it appears that self-service options do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by n4zty
    yes spoke to a dealer in las vegas he told me ofcourse the sim is regestered to the imei/esn why wouldnt it be makes perfect sense...
    As i0wnj00 stated, typically GSM carriers don't require this. You just switch the SIM to another device and it operates just fine. It's really not necessary to pair the IMEI with a GSM SIM. Hopefully as T-Mobile further integrates the MPCS systems, they will remove this requirement.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    I went back to the store today and they entered in the IMEI of the different device and re-entered the SIM number and the device immediately worked.

As for the self-service options, as I posted yesterday, the online option did not recognize the IMEI number nor did customer service's system when they tried to enter the IMEI.

So as of this time, it appears that self-service options do not work.
    But my question is, now that you've registered another IMEI, can you use a free DIY option to switch back to your previous IMEI? I'm guessing/hoping that Metro should recognize it now, because it was previously on their network.

BTW: Did you encounter any resistance (i.e., added/higher fees) to registering another IMEI within 90 days of your original BYO IMEI?

Feedback Score
    But my question is, now that you've registered another IMEI, can you use a free DIY option to switch back to your previous IMEI? I'm guessing/hoping that Metro should recognize it now, because it was previously on their network.

BTW: Did you encounter any resistance (i.e., added/higher fees) to registering another IMEI within 90 days of your original BYO IMEI?
    Oh, I see what you're saying now. So I went to the screen and entered the IMEI number of the first phone, clicked Check IMEI number and it brought up the box to enter the SIM which I did. However then it said the SIM is already activated. It let me click past that screen and the plan choice screen, but on the final screen, I got an error message.

I put the SIM back into the second phone and it is still working on that phone.

At the store, the rep took a phone that he had in a drawer and scanned it. He said he had to do that first before putting the new phone on my account with the old SIM.

So at this time, it doesn't sound like you can make the change online yourself---unless maybe you had a CDMA phone you could add to deactivate the SIM like the store rep did.

As for resistance, no there was no mention of any added/higher fees to register another IMEI.

Carrier
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Oh, I see what you're saying now. So I went to the screen and entered the IMEI number of the first phone, clicked Check IMEI number and it brought up the box to enter the SIM which I did. However then it said the SIM is already activated. It let me click past that screen and the plan choice screen, but on the final screen, I got an error message.

I put the SIM back into the second phone and it is still working on that phone.

At the store, the rep took a phone that he had in a drawer and scanned it. He said he had to do that first before putting the new phone on my account with the old SIM.

So at this time, it doesn't sound like you can make the change online yourself---unless maybe you had a CDMA phone you could add to deactivate the SIM like the store rep did.

As for resistance, no there was no mention of any added/higher fees to register another IMEI.

Thanks. I'm sure they will always require a store visit & fee to enter a new IMEI into their inventory, I imagine that they're also developing online and OTA systems to support DIY device-changes.

Everyone's still learning Metro's new rules and caveats...don't be surprised if/when reps "enforce" a 90-day period before adding a new IMEI into inventory...

Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    jet I asked this in the tmobile forum but I will ask here as well, you first put the nexus 4 on, but were not able to get lte?

The second phone does it have officially supported LTE?
    can that use lte does it connect to tmobile only? MMC AND MNC?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast