Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot send or receive MMS on new LG 840G

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Cannot send or receive MMS on new LG 840G

To clarify, although I can't send MMS, I can receive MMS's as regular texts but cannot download the attachments.

Everything else works great. Via lurking on HowardForums, I decided to go with Tracfone & get the LG 840G with TMFL, and have been able to set up WiFi, email, Opera Mini & Google Maps, etc., etc., no sweat. Thank you all ever SO much! Especially for such a phone noob as me.

But this last little thing with MMS is so frustrating. It's been like this since day 1. I've been PM'ing with the Tracfone online support forum CS rep for three solid days. It's ridiculously and needlessly byzantine and I'm starting to lose my cool.

I'm very happy with my LG 840G, I really don't think it's a hardware problem. Although in Message settings, --unlike Text Message Settings there is nothing under Multi Media Settings except a button for MMS templates (and no templates in that).

I'd greatly appreciate some help getting this figured out, I really don't think there will be much actual help from CS, three days later & only one reply today asking me how many bars show in the header...

Thank you.
    Last edited by Spumoni; 06-18-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Phone
    s390g,Droid x2
    Carrier
    Tracfone (att sim)(Verison)
    Feedback Score
    If you are trying to send a pic.it cannot be saved to storage card, if it is save it to the phone memory, this is the only way i can send mms or recieve.
    Hope this helps
    Dyke

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you I will try that. Fortunately I read the online manual last night about the file system. Fingers crossed!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Darn! I moved 3 photo files over to phone using File Manager, then tried sending MMS texts to different people. No go.

Then I turned off WiFi and rebooted the phone, tried again ---making certain I had at least 3 bars (& def. used the photos in Phone memory) and still got the dismal "! Unable to send" error message each time.

I checked Tracfone's support forums and am not getting any more replies, just languishing in the bowels of customer service purgatory.

Not getting or sending MMS is inconvenient, there are times where it could be important. But hey! If Tracfone doesn't want any more of my money, then fine, I'll stick with much more frugal plain texts. I switched to TF from ST because I wanted to save more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyke View Post
    If you are trying to send a pic.it cannot be saved to storage card, if it is save it to the phone memory, this is the only way i can send mms or recieve.
    Hope this helps
    Dyke

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spumoni View Post
    Then I turned off WiFi and rebooted the phone, tried again ---making certain I had at least 3 bars (& def. used the photos in Phone memory) and still got the dismal "! Unable to send" error message each time.
    How large are the pictures you are trying to send when you get the error message? It is posssible you are exceeding the LG 840's max file size. You can find the file size in Properties.

Phone
    s390g,Droid x2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    the size on my 840 is like 31.6 kb my resolution is 320x240 works fine for mms, i leave at max size stored on memory card then when i move to phone for mms i reduce size to the 320x240.
    Hope this helps

Dyke

Phone
    s390g,Droid x2
    Carrier
    Feedback Score

Are you trying to send mms messages by WiFi? I could be wrong but i don't think you can send mms by WiFi only as a email,I have to send mms with the phone not using WiFi,works great on mine the cost is 1min then .465 min so pretty close to costs on my LG500G

Feedback Score
    the size on my 840 is like 31.6 kb my resolution is 320x240 works fine for mms, i leave at max size stored on memory card then when i move to phone for mms i reduce size to the 320x240.Hope this helps Dyke
    Actually Dyke, I was asking Spumoni about the size of his pictures because he is the one with the problem sending mms. My max file size is about 175K. Above that I get an error message. That's why I asked Spumoni about the file size and what error message, if any.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I just checked the file info on the messages I tried to send yesterday, one image file was 40kb and the other was 37kb. These were originally pix I'd taken with the LG 840G camera and they were automatically reduced for MMS's. Their file names were also automatically changed with "reduced" appended. ---Also, these were from the three that I transferred my SD storage to the phone storage.

Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    How large are the pictures you are trying to send when you get the error message? It is posssible you are exceeding the LG 840's max file size. You can find the file size in Properties.
    the size on my 840 is like 31.6 kb my resolution is 320x240 works fine for mms, i leave at max size stored on memory card then when i move to phone for mms i reduce size to the 320x240.
    Hope this helps

Dyke

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Oh no, not trying to send that way. I can have wifi turned on and still send & receive regular texts with airtime deducted. I'd read somewhere else on the forums that someone couldn't send MMS unless he turned off his wifi first --so I tried that. Made no difference at all. I still get the ! Unable to send to... error messages every time.

Are you trying to send mms messages by WiFi? I could be wrong but i don't think you can send mms by WiFi only as a email,I have to send mms with the phone not using WiFi,works great on mine the cost is 1min then .465 min so pretty close to costs on my LG500G

Feedback Score
    Just out of curiosity, was this phone originally set up for AT&T and now there is a T-Mobile sim in it. Or vice versa? Is it a refurb where that might have happened?

I believe that if you call the best CS, they can reset the gateway or whatever it's called.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    How can I tell which SIM is in it? Curious to find out.

No, this phone is new, I bought it on Amazon with the 1200 TMFL. I have been emailing TFCorp.Reolutions yesterday and they tell me that the phone is fully provisioned. I'm not sure what happens behind the scenes, something to the SIM where I have to completely turn off the phone and then turn it back on again, getting the SIM initialization message. Unfortunately the last things we tried still do not work. And whereas before I could see who MMS'd me, I can't see the sender now.

---Quite a mystery why everything works great except the MMS. I really hope this can get sorted out, I love the phone and the minutes package.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Just out of curiosity, was this phone originally set up for AT&T and now there is a T-Mobile sim in it. Or vice versa? Is it a refurb where that might have happened?

I believe that if you call the best CS, they can reset the gateway or whatever it's called.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quite a mystery why everything works great except the MMS.

Are you sure everything else works?

Can you browse the web with wi-fi off? Access email?
    Can you use apps that use data (like facebook or opera), again with wi-fi off?

It sure sounds like the data connection is not working, and that normally a configuration error that TF has to fix.

Everything but MMS will use the wi-fi data link when available. But MMS only woks on the cell data link.
    It sure sounds like that's the problem, and I'd wager you can't use the cell data link at all.

Feedback Score
    How can I tell which SIM is in it? Curious to find out. I'm not sure what happens behind the scenes, something to the SIM where I have to completely turn off the phone and then turn it back on again, getting the SIM initialization message. Quite a mystery why everything works great except the MMS. I really hope this can get sorted out, I love the phone and the minutes package.
    To tell whether you have an ATT sim or T-Mobile sim, look at the first 6 digits of your sim serial number.

Menu > Prepaid > Sim Number

890141... then the sim is ATT
    890126... then the sim is T-Mobile

Since you have to reinitialize the sim every time, I would remove and reinsert the sim just to make sure it is seated correctly.

Please post back here with whether you are ATT or T-Mo and we can try some additional things.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. I just checked and it's ATT, that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    To tell whether you have an ATT sim or T-Mobile sim, look at the first 6 digits of your sim serial number.

Menu > Prepaid > Sim Number

890141... then the sim is ATT
    890126... then the sim is T-Mobile

Since you have to reinitialize the sim every time, I would remove and reinsert the sim just to make sure it is seated correctly.

Please post back here with whether you are ATT or T-Mo and we can try some additional things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast