Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Galaxy S4 on PagePlus

Feedback Score

New Galaxy S4 on PagePlus

I just bought a "Unlocked" Samsung Galaxy S4 from "Tiger Direct".

Can I put it on PagePlus? if not who can I put it on?

This phone has a "SIM" card? I thought CDMA phones don't have SIM cards?

Thanks

Rockdude

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
    I just bought a "Unlocked" Samsung Galaxy S4 from "Tiger Direct".

Can I put it on PagePlus? if not who can I put it on?

This phone has a "SIM" card? I thought CDMA phones don't have SIM cards?

Thanks

Rockdude
    If a CDMA phone is sold as unlocked, it usually is in reference to the SIM card slot for the GSM side for global use. Are you sure it is a Vzw S4? If it is, you will need to flash it or pay someone to flash it to work on PPC. If it isn't a Vzw (CDMA) S4, you'll have to use it on the AT&T or T-Mo network, including any of their MVNOs.
    PagePlus---13 Years & Counting . . . . . Lycamobile---1 Year & Counting
    *Ericsson AF738, Jul 2001-Dec 2003, *Qualcomm QCP 2760, Dec 2003-Feb 2008, *LG VX-8600, Feb 2008-Apr 2010, *Samsung Omnia SCH-i910, Apr 2010-Nov 2011, *HTC Droid Incredible (CM7.2 ROM), Nov 2011-Jun 2013, *HTC Droid Incredible 2 (CM7.2 ROM), Jun 2013-Present

Feedback Score
    The bottom of the box shows CDMA 2000 / GSM ?

Does that mean it's capable of both?

Is their a way to tell if it this particular model has a preference for the GSM or CDMA network
    (If it works on both does it really matter?

Thanks

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Typically unlocked indicates a GSM phone, and searching unlocked S4 returns GSM phones. Samsung generally gives each of their phones a different model number. Most likely you bought a phone that will only work on a GSM network, such as T-Mobile or AT&T, but if there's a model number listed on the package or phone that should give additional details.

I don't follow GSM, but most US MVNOs are listed on the following list with the carriers they use:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

Feedback Score
    I have a sprint Galaxy S4 it is CDMA and has a sim card also. as in both.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby50Jones View Post
    I have a sprint Galaxy S4 it is CDMA and has a sim card also. as in both.
    Right. That's why I asked the question in my post. But rockdude hasn't been back to answer!

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    He probably bought a GT-i9500, a GSM phone that will not work on Page Plus, since that's what's listed on the retailer's website for unlocked S4.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    He probably bought a GT-i9500, a GSM phone that will not work on Page Plus, since that's what's listed on the retailer's website for unlocked S4.
    Ah, a little investigative work! Good job! I didn't even notice the Tiger Direct part until I saw your reply. If Rockdude never comes back to answer our questions, we'll go with your answer!

Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't get back to the forum sooner, was out of town.

Yes...sigh... I did get the GT-i9500, so I guess I am screwed. (Tiger won't take it back....sigh)

Any ideas what service I could use here in the states with this phone?

Thanks

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

Yes...sigh... I did get the GT-i9500, so I guess I am screwed. (Tiger won't take it back....sigh)

Thanks
    The ones I already mentioned in my post above, which were AT&T or T-Mo, including any of their MVNOs. The other option for you is to sell the phone on eBay and buy a PPC compatible CDMA phone.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

Thanks
    LycaMobile is a good deal right now for GSM phones. Don't know anything about its data quality or speed, but for $29 you can get unlimited talk and text and data but only the first 100MB is "up to 4G speed." -- so that sounds a bit "fishy." And there is no roaming, so if you're in a weak T-Mobile area or travel alot, this is probably not your choice. You might also consider reselling the GSM phone and buying a CDMA one.

And there's PlatinumTel. They have two "Unlimited Everything" plans. For $40 you get unlimited everything with the first 250MB of data being high speed. For $50 you get unlimited everything with the first 2GBs being high speed. They say "on network roaming" is free. Not exactly sure what "on network roaming" means but that sounds better than no roaming.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everybody for your posts......I appreciate the replies.

After further discussion with "Tiger Direct" customer service they have agreed to take the phone back.

Other than "Verizon" direct is their anywhere I can buy a unlocked Galaxy S4 that will work with PagePlus?

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Other than "Verizon" direct is their anywhere I can buy a unlocked Galaxy S4 that will work with PagePlus?
    Amazon has Sprint and Verizon Galaxy S4s without contract (expensive). Either one would have to be flashed -- not sure if the Verison one work -- usually, it seems, people flash Sprint phones for Page Plus and I'm not sure why. Maybe the ESN on a Verizon 4G can't be accepted on Page Plus?

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If you try to buy a new unlocked phone from most online retailers, generally you're going to be looking at GSM phones, like the one you previously bought. In the USA CDMA phones are typically sold specifically programmed for one carrier. I am not familiar with which CDMA carrier S4 models can be most easily flashed for Page Plus, but after you find out which CDMA carrier phones can be flashed to Page Plus you will need to buy one of those specific models and have it flashed. Aside from maybe Ebay and similar places, I'm not aware of ways to purchase new bleeding-edge CDMA carrier phones significantly below retail prices. I don't know how how easy it might be to negotiate down phone prices with an independant retailer, but when I was shopping the Razr M one local dealer had their new phones marked 20% below retail. Verizon also sells Certified Pre Owned devices for a percentage off retail prices, but I don't know how long it takes for Verizon to have the inventory where stores start stocking them or if there's any difference compared to white box phones sometimes sold on places like Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    it seems, people flash Sprint phones for Page Plus and I'm not sure why.
    My guess is because Sprint phones generally seem to be cheaper than Verizon phones when purchased used.

Maybe the ESN on a Verizon 4G can't be accepted on Page Plus?
    Assuming someone knows how to program a specific 4G LTE Verizon phone for Page Plus, it's possible to use the Verizon ESN by just giving the first 14 of the 15 digits. Personally I bought a Verizon LTE phone, rather than the US Cellular model, simply because the Verizon phone was cheaper, and if someday Verizon MVNOs ever get LTE generally only Verizon phones have the hardware to run it.

Feedback Score

Difference between the Vzw and Sprint model Galaxy Nexus

My experience with Galaxy Nexus... Verizon is GSM and Sprint is CDMA version..with sprint you can use sprint tools for flashing..

"My guess is because Sprint phones generally seem to be cheaper than Verizon phones when purchased used."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast