Thread: T-Mobile on Long Island

Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile on Long Island

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find a previous thread with this topic. I am currently on an at&t family plan, and I have been extremely happy with the service, but we are considering switching to T-Mobile for unlimited data. I have talked to some of my friends who have T-Mobile, but it seems to be hit or miss. Most people seem happy, but it seems they have trouble with service in/near buildings. Has anyone had experience with T-Mobile on Long Island? Particularly in central-eastern Suffolk on the south shore. I know when I leave the tristate area the coverage is pretty much edge only, but in Suffolk County, will the service be comparable to at&t, or should I expect it to be a lot worse? Also, I know T-Mobile has issues with building penetration because they are on the aws and pcs spectrum; with at&t I have never had issues even in large buildings. Do you find that there are times that you are in buildings and have absolutely no service, or do you always have at least one bar?

Thanks.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Tmobile has 4g hspa+ throughout long island and should be also updating the island to lte soon Generally the closer you get the city the higher the cell density and the less problems you have with in building signal. I live on the north Shore of Nassau and tmobile is good, I have little complaints, most places that either Verizon or att have antennas , a tmobile antenna is there too. Same goes with weak signal areas, generally if your not going to have signal in an area it's because theirs no tower nearby for any carrier. Yes Verizon and att are going to have slightly better coverage because of the bands they operate at but a killer feature of tmobile is wifi calling. All my friends are always jealous when I'm in a big concrete building or like in a friends basement and I have perfect signal because I use wifi calling. So if you wanna save a few bucks and pretty much have comparable service on long Island then tmobile is great. Just a warning though, if you travel a lot off the island and want 4G everywhere you go especially outside major metro areas , stick with what you have but on the other hand if you ever go outside the country, wifi calling can be used and it makes your phone work as though you were sitting right at home, no roaming charges. Good luck! =)

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can't comment on coverage in your area but I can say the WiFi calling feature really can come in handy and in certain conditions can give you better indoor coverage than Verizon or AT&T. For example a near by shopping center near me that has Target and Kohl's in the center. Both of these stores offer free WiFi. No cell phone provider works in either of these stores all the way through. When I'm in these buildings and start moving past the front of the stores I simply hop on and sign into there WiFi networks an then turn on my WiFi calling. This allows me to make/receive calls as well as text messaging and anything else I need to do. I've found that by doing this in both Target and Kohl's I can use my phone anywhere in the store something that even Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint users can't do.

It's a really nice feature and I have used it while in Target quite a few times and once in the back of Kohl's and it worked well for me. I also used this feature inside a different shopping center (mall) at a JCP store which also offers free WiFi. While my signal was OK in that store I just went ahead and flipped over to WiFi calling the last time I was in the store sine the WiFi signal was stronger than the cell phone signal.

Carrier
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    I'll start off by saying that I do not have t mobile. I did however just literally get back from long island today to my home in Houston so I'll point out what I noticed while there. I have sprint and outside of a couple areas I roamed quite a bit on Verizon, I think long island in a lot of places is difficult terrain to cover, oyster bay, glen Cove etc come to mind. It also seems like it would be a NIMBY area and about the only place at least with sprint that I had decent coverage without roaming was on my route into Westbury on glen Cove Rd. So, like I stated I don't have t mobile but my personal opinion is that there are probably many areas where bands will make a huge difference there and t mobile has no low frequency spectrum at all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    “A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover
    that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
    From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates
    who promise the most benefits from the public treasury,
    with the result that every democracy will finally collapse
    due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship”

-Alexander Tyler

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I am in Queens, but travel to LI often (Smithtown, Kings Park, Ronkonkoma, Hicksville, and Melville), and have been with T-Mobile since 2001 (aka Voice Stream). Service is OK in most areas, but there are a few dead zones. Your best bet (and cheepest) is to unlock your current phone and try a month of pre paid service (or T-Mobile MVNO). Your AT&T phone probably will not support T-Mobile's AWS HSPA+ data network, so expect a lot of EDGE, but focus on GSM signal. If you see "Emergency Only", that means AT&T has service, and T-Mobile does not. Working in Manhattan, I have both T-Mobile (personal phone), and AT&T (work phone). I find building penetration between the two about the same. In one cases, AT&T had 1-2 bars, while T-Mobile had less that 1 bar, but T-Mobile was the only one able to complete a call. Your milage will vary, so best to test first!

Phones
    Samsung A930
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I switched from VZW to T-Mobile over a month ago. I live on the south shore of Nassau. So far I have no coverage complaints. Some of the towers have LTE but I leave it turned off because the phone tries to get the weaker LTE signal. 4G speeds range between 5 and 15. I have hit speeds of 30+ when on a strong LTE signal.

Voice quality is fine. Bars seem low in some places but calls always go through and are clear.