Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: APN MMS Changes Don't Work Anymore on Straight Talk iPhone 4

Feedback Score

APN MMS Changes Don't Work Anymore on Straight Talk iPhone 4

Hello,

You may think this is a repost of a repost of a repost, but it's not

I have set up about 40 iPhone 4/4S on Straight Talk and have zero problems with the APN, MMSC settings (until now). I can, of course, use the T-Mobile SIM swap method to allow access to the "Cellular Data Network" menu....put in the ST micro SIM card and change the settings to:

att.mvno

att.mvno
    http: // mmsc . cingular . com (no spaces )
    60.209.11.33:80
    etc.

BUT, that has stopped working on my most current five iPhone 4/4S that my customers have been trying to set up. I have had the last 5 customers buy an AT&T compatible Straight Talk micro SIM card and activate it. Talk and Text worked, but MMS and data didn't work, even after I had set everything up as I have done 40 times before. I received one customer's iPhone 4 AT&T back and I thought that it was going to be their problem, but indeed, it didn't work. I called up Straight Talk and they had me goto iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com and load that APN. Allowed talk, text and data to work, but not MMS.

Seems like it is a new problem with the new-activation micro SIM cards. I put my old perfectly working micro SIM card into their iPhone and their iPhone and MMS worked perfectly. I put their questionable sim card into my personal iPhone and my iPhone didn't send or receive MMS. Seems like a newly-activated ST SIM card issue?! Am I off-base??

There has to be a new set of APN changes that I can make that will allow the newly-activated SIM cards to work with MMS in iPhone 4/4S.

I am open to trying anything...any ideas?? (and THANK YOU for taking the time to read - and respond).

Feedback Score
    Replace att.mvno where it appears with ATT Phone. MMS Proxy is 66.209.11.33:80

Carrier
    Sprint via FreedomPop/Google Voice
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You might need to use the new settings for new customers:

APN: tfdata
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS Proxy: mms3.tracfone.com:80

I think some customers are being switched to that, too.
    Past providers: RingPlus, Page Plus, Virgin, Straight Talk, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T.
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    These settings are not working on my ip5 either, both the att.mvno and tfdata ones, although oddly enough the att.mvno settings still work with my wifes ip4.
    iPhone 5 !!

Feedback Score
    There appears to be a cat and mouse game going on, with StraightTalk and AT&T. I have had the APN setting changed over the air on all 4 of my iPhone 4. It happened again today to my phone, the 2nd time in a week. I had to go through a SIM swap and reenter the old values which do work. The "new" settings on the ST site DO NOT work for an iPhone 4. I consider this harrassment. The settings provided don't work, the carrier changes them OTA and I have no email, web or MMS when that happens. WTF? I called ST cusotmer service and got the instruction to download the apn update profile iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com. According to everything I know, about that profile is it kills MMS.

Due to my geographic area, AT&T has better service and since my phone was an AT&T phone and has substandard GSM, it runs faster on the AT&T network, but only Edge on T-Mobile. I sense there is some bad blood between ST and AT&T and AT&T is harrassing the ST users to get them to move and ST can't do anything about it or choses not to acknowldege it. I'm not a high data user, never go over a gig ever. So i'm not in the group of offenders they seem to dislike.

I may have no choice but to dump ST and go back to TM, as I can't keep having evryone in my family's conntectivity shut off randomly.

I know ST monitors this forum, as after posting my intial comment I received an email from ST offering to help, but their inbox was full and I couldn't respond. Typical. Anyone having this problem? Any work around?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The carrier profile 14.1 last week and 14.2 this week were sent to all iPhones having AT&T SIM cards, regardless of what MVNO it is on. The iPhones prior to 4S are updated through iTunes. The newer ones are updated through Wi-Fi or the cellular data network. Since the default AT&T settings are loaded, iPhones using other settings will cause the data connection to be disabled until the appropriate settings are re-entered.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    not a cat and mouse game.att is just updating phones apn setting over cellular.just easier for them to do it this way.yes it is a hassle for st iphone sim swap users but it is att network.this will go on for some time untill att thinks it has gotten all iphones updated.

Feedback Score

iPhone 4 is updated through the air too...

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    The carrier profile 14.1 last week and 14.2 this week were sent to all iPhones having AT&T SIM cards, regardless of what MVNO it is on. The iPhones prior to 4S are updated through iTunes. The newer ones are updated through Wi-Fi or the cellular data network. Since the default AT&T settings are loaded, iPhones using other settings will cause the data connection to be disabled until the appropriate settings are re-entered.
    You say prior to 4S they are updated through iTunes? I have a 4 (no S) and it's been updated twice through the network. A while back (could have been a week or more) I grabbed my phone in the morning and it told me my carrier settings have been updated. This morning the same thing happened. Both times, the APN was changed to phone (which does not work) and the MMS and proxy settings were pointed to AT&T infrastructure. Needless to say, these settings do not work.

The first time it happened, I came to this forum and changed the settings to what was posted here. Service restored, all was well. The second time it happened, this forum contained the "new" ST settings, as documented on the ST site, and they don't work. I sent ST an e-mail asking for clarification and they want me to call them so they can remedy the issue. The problem is I have never had good luck calling ST. I either sit in a queue for a long time and give up or it just tells me the call volume is high, try again at a different time.

Needless to say, I'm getting pretty ticked off at ST.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    yea i got that update on my iphone 4 also.but i never had mms set up on my phone and i used iphone config utility to get my data working.the thing is my data still worked after the update.didnt have to reset anything.

this could be a issue for people who used the jailbreak or simswap method.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rradina View Post
    You say prior to 4S they are updated through iTunes? I have a 4 (no S) and it's been updated twice through the network. A while back (could have been a week or more) I grabbed my phone in the morning and it told me my carrier settings have been updated. This morning the same thing happened. Both times, the APN was changed to phone (which does not work) and the MMS and proxy settings were pointed to AT&T infrastructure. Needless to say, these settings do not work.

The first time it happened, I came to this forum and changed the settings to what was posted here. Service restored, all was well. The second time it happened, this forum contained the "new" ST settings, as documented on the ST site, and they don't work. I sent ST an e-mail asking for clarification and they want me to call them so they can remedy the issue. The problem is I have never had good luck calling ST. I either sit in a queue for a long time and give up or it just tells me the call volume is high, try again at a different time.

Needless to say, I'm getting pretty ticked off at ST.
    That is what AT&T Mobility said in its press release. They said only the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 were updated over the air. The earlier iPhone required a connection to iTunes. I had no iPhone 4 to check the veracity of the statement.

Feedback Score
    I too have an iphone 4, no "s" as are all 4 of the iphones in my family and all have received the screwing over of APN settings.Tell me AT&T could not to have exempted. MVNO customers IF they wanted? The bottom line AT&T doesnt give a rip, and ST has a deteriorating business relationship with them. So Carlos makes millions, AT&T makes millions we are considered bottom feeders in the big scheme of it all.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It did not just happen with Straight Talk. All iPhones running on MVNOs using AT&T SIM cards got the carrier profile updates.
    Last edited by efparri; 06-29-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Feedback Score
    anyone have some APN's that work for MMS? Update killed mine and I've tried the old att.mvno and they don't work for me.

Feedback Score
    The old settings, att.mvno do work for me, but after changing it back to att.mvno I had to put it in airplane mode for a second first, after I took it out of airplane mode everything works again.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 and I have never received any kind of updates. Of course it keeps trying to get me to update to iOS 6.whatever. I just ignore it.

Edit: I've had the micro AT&T SIM from ST since January or February of 2012. I don't remember when I got it or when it was first offered.
    Last edited by batman420; 06-30-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast