Thread: Which other prepaid carriers use the Verizon network?

Feedback Score

Which other prepaid carriers use the Verizon network?

Which other prepaid carriers use Verizon towers besides Selectel?

It's been awhile since I've shopped around and wondered what other carriers were offering. I want Verizon network and CDMA bring your own device.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I glanced at the Straight Talk thread and see where 'some phones' run off Verizon network yet you have to buy a Straight Talk phone? I read somewhere else where if you get on Straight Talk and you want on Verizon network you have to get a phone ending in 'C'? ....so confusing... Anyway, figured you guys would know and could help shed some light.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What kind of phone are you looking to use on Verizon?

Straight Talk does have a few phones that run on Verizon, and even allows BYOD as long as it's 3G only (no LTE phones) and not an iPhone. Their iPhones run on Verizon.

Then there's Page Plus, Selectel, TalkforGood, and NextG.
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    Which other prepaid carriers use Verizon towers besides Selectel?
    Here's a link to a list of MVNOs operating in the United States ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...work_operators

You can sort on carrier. They show 8 Verizon MVNOs. IQCellular (which covers all four networks, apparently), Net10 Wireless (one of the "TracFone" companies so not all phones will be Verizon), NextG Mobile, Page Plus, PhoneATA (which seems to be a lot like IQCellular, offering service on the three of the four networks and soon to have T-Mobile coverage), Selectel Wireless, Straight Talk (according to Wikipedia, Verizon phones will be labled CDMA-V), and TalkForGood.

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, Verizon is a CDMA carrier. This bit of fundamental knowledge should go a long way toward indicating what phones might be acceptable.

Speaking mainly about CDMA, Straight Talk (as well as Net10) have several approaches to their requirements. They have their own branded CDMA phones (for the $45 plan), then they have the CDMA BYOP deal, where you bring a compatible phone of your own (also for the $45 deal). Also, both of those America Movil companies have lower-line plans that require their branded phones for plans designed only for each respectively (the $30 ST plan and the by-the-minute Net10 plans). Those phones can be either "G" models (for GSM) or "C" models (for CDMA). I won't go into what the list of acceptable phones is for the CDMA BYOP deal is. There are numerous threads here about that.

Other VZW MVNOs: Page Plus Cellular, Talk4Good, NextG, H2O CDMA (yep, apparently still around). There are probably a few more, but those are the ones getting all the attention here on HoFo.

Edit: Oops, major omission was Selectel, which has at least two threads about it.

And pretty importantly, there is as yet no VZW MVNO that allows/offers 4G LTE service, so generally speaking it does no good to try and use anything other than a late generation 3G device, except to have a later generation version of Android and any higher spec'd device in your hand to brag about or delight in. But, for at least some of the MVNOs you can flash some of the newer phones to work with them (either do-it-yourself by instructions/tutorials or have a service do it for you for $). Straight Talk's acceptable list is a bit tighter than some of the others. Read all about it here on HoFo.

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm ok where I am now especially since the increase in data from 250 to 500. I'm on the 29.95 plan.

I have another line on the Page Plus 55.00 plan. I'm thinking if I got another Samsung S3 (CDMA) phone, where could I take it that is comparable or better than the current 55.00 Page Plus plan?

Selectel has a 50.00 plan that is comparable but I wouldn't switch there only because I can buy the PagePlus refill at discount for close to the 50.00 price of that plan so no sense in bothering with the switch. I was wondering what my other carrier options would be. I don't think Talk for Good is an option because nothing they offer is comparable.

Volaris, what do you mean by this:

Straight Talk does have a few phones that run on Verizon, and even allows BYOD as long as it's 3G only (no LTE phones)? My Sprint Samsung G3 that I flashed to work on PagePlus is a LTE phone. So that wouldn't work on Straight Talk?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
    Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-24-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    My Sprint Samsung G3 that I flashed to work on PagePlus is a LTE phone. So that wouldn't work on Straight Talk?
    The "bring your own device" option on Straght Talk has a number of listed limitations for acceptable phones. According to the information on the packaging, your phone would not be accepted because it's a Sprint phone, and because it's a 4G LTE device.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...ype=10&veh=aff

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    The "bring your own device" option on Straght Talk has a number of listed limitations for acceptable phones. According to the information on the packaging, your phone would not be accepted because it's a Sprint phone, and because it's a 4G LTE device.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...ype=10&veh=aff

This program is not compatible with CDMA carriers Sprint or Metro PCS, 4G LTE devices, iPhones, BlackBerry, data only devices, lost or stolen devices, branded TracFone, SafeLink, NET10, Straight Talk or Telcel America handsets

Thank you for the link. I'm still learning all the phone lingo. So this means no CDMA only if the carrier is Sprint or Metro PCS? I could use a Verizon CDMA phone, but it can't be a 4g or LTE device even if flashed? Well that doesn't leave many options for a newer phone does it? Aren't most phones out now 4g or LTE capable? Interesting. I'll look at some other carrier options.

I don't need to replace the phone yet, but want to be prepared and do my homework beforehand.
    Last edited by diddlydudette; 06-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post

Speaking mainly about CDMA, Straight Talk (as well as Net10) have several approaches to their requirements. They have their own branded CDMA phones (for the $45 plan), then they have the CDMA BYOP deal, where you bring a compatible phone of your own (also for the $45 deal).
    I don't see that plan listed any longer. Is there a "back door" or orphaned link to it?

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    America Movil has separate addresses for the BYOP products. Unlike their branded CDMA smartphones, the BYOP service maps show CDMA roaming. The last time I looked the Straight Talk terms of service had not been updated for CDMA roaming, and I don't remember anyone confirming if roaming is actually available with the CDMA BYOP service like indicated on the maps.
    http://straighttalkbyop.com/shop-cdma.php
    http://net10byop.com/shop-cdma.php
    http://www.telcelamericabyop.com/?nav=shpcdma
    Last edited by alluringreality; 06-24-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Aren't most phones out now 4g or LTE capable?
    Verizon did introduce some 3G prepaid LG smartphones this year, but usually Verizon doesn't allow MVNOs to activate their prepaid phones. Before that the last 3G smartphones from Verizon were released in 2011. I think Verizon basic phones also lack LTE, so I would figure Verizon doesn't mind allowing feature phones and many of the older 3G devices. While it's maybe not ideal from a consumer perspective, in Verizon's point of view it probably doesn't hurt to limit LTE activation to their postpaid service and have MVNOs like Straight Talk and Page Plus source their own 3G smartphones.

Feedback Score
    Verizon did introduce some 3G prepaid LG smartphones this year, but usually Verizon doesn't allow MVNOs to activate their prepaid phones. Before that the last 3G smartphones from Verizon were released in 2011. I think Verizon basic phones also lack LTE, so I would figure they don't mind allowing feature phones and many of the older 3G devices. While it's maybe not ideal from a consumer perspective, from a business perspective it probably doesn't hurt Verizon to limit LTE activation to their postpaid service and have MVNOs like Straight Talk and Page Plus source their own 3G phones.
    Thanks for your reply? Can you flash 4G and LTE phones to Straight Talk or these other Verizon network carriers? I have a Sprint Galaxy3 LTE phone on PagePlus right now but it is flashed.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Except for America Movil, I think a majority of the other Verizon MVNOs that compete with Page Plus on price also allow customers to bring most any phone they can program, similar to Page Plus. Some people have reported that switching between Verizon MVNOs did not require a reflash for the phones they tried. Since other MVNOs are reported to have different roaming capabilities than Page Plus, I'm not sure how that works on a Sprint phone. My Verizon LTE phone seems capable of automatically updating the PRL for roaming, yet I have no idea if a Sprint phone might need the PRL updated manually to be able to use whatever roaming capabilities a Verizon MVNO might offer. The information on the forum seems to indicate for most Verizon MVNOs (except America Movil's brands) it would be possible to use a reprogrammed Sprint phone, yet I'm not sure if it might make sense to try switching the PRL depending on the Verizon MVNO.

Carriers
    BYO Wireless
    Feedback Score
    America Movil has separate addresses for the BYOP products. Unlike their branded CDMA smartphones, the BYOP service maps show CDMA roaming. The last time I looked the Straight Talk terms of service had not been updated for CDMA roaming, and I don't remember anyone confirming if roaming is actually available with the CDMA BYOP service like indicated on the maps.
    http://straighttalkbyop.com/shop-cdma.php
    http://net10byop.com/shop-cdma.php
    http://www.telcelamericabyop.com/?nav=shpcdma
    Took a quick look at these links -- strange they're not linked on the main page. I hit "register phone" on two of them (just to see what was available) and didn't see any Android model numbers for Motorola or Samsung (which were the only two I checked). Just to clarify, is Straight Talk / Net10 offering their BYOD services for smartphones (Android, specifically) and have they gotten the glitches ironed out?

Feedback Score
    Except for America Movil, I think a majority of the other Verizon MVNOs that compete with Page Plus on price also allow customers to bring most any phone they can program, similar to Page Plus. Some people have reported that switching between Verizon MVNOs did not require a reflash for the phones they tried. Since other MVNOs are reported to have different roaming capabilities than Page Plus, I'm not sure how that works on a Sprint phone. My Verizon LTE phone seems capable of automatically updating the PRL for roaming, yet I have no idea if a Sprint phone might need the PRL updated manually to be able to use whatever roaming capabilities a Verizon MVNO might offer. The information on the forum seems to indicate for most Verizon MVNOs (except America Movil's brands) it would be possible to use a reprogrammed Sprint phone, yet I'm not sure if it might make sense to try switching the PRL depending on the Verizon MVNO.
    Thanks. Very helpful.