Views: 9237
Size:  448.2 KB

As Phil Robertson would say Happy Happy Happy

Feedback Score
    How does it feel? Worth upgrading to?

Carrier(s)
    G'zOne Type-V
    Feedback Score
    It feels great in the hand I would say it doesn't have the same rock solid feel as the first.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Well I am sure that with the upgrade composites it probably feels lighter. My only concern is the gorilla glass. My experience is that it isn't as stout as they v advertise it to be.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    I got mine XRAM there were only 2 at my store glad I showed up early. My head is spinning with android, gotta get to the gym so I can play all night

Sent with the HoFo App
    Put it through it's paces and let us know what you think. Out of curiosity....see if you can silent the notifications without silencing the ringer. Also check when you dial the keypad....does it populate contacts corresponding to the dial pad presses? One more thing.....what size sim card does it take? Thanks bro
    Last edited by XRAM; 06-28-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Feedback Score
    I did end up dropping by my local store and played with one for a bit. Seemed fast and responsive. Screen required more touch than other new phones but was loads more responsive than the current Commando.

Test photos I took with the camera in the store yielded a rather quick shutter and a vastly improved camera over the prior Commando. Still underwhelmed by the lack of a physical camera key or at least the ability to use the tactile key though.

Overall, it seems like a solid device and I'll be burning my upgrade tomorrow on it. It really did seem responsive and should suffice everyone other than power users just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger Bob View Post
    Ok, guys. Newbie here. I've been waiting for this phone for over 6 months now, as have you all. I am NOT a techie by any means. This forum seems to be the best out there as far as real information and helpful people. Most of the terms that are being thrown around, like Jelly Beans, Ice Cream Sandwiches, rooting, DPL, ISCA, Android, Snapdragon; I have no idea what you are talking about. But I have learned a few things and will keep plugging away.
    Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, etc. are the names given to various Android operating systems. This phone comes with Android 4.0, which is called Ice Cream Sandwich (or ICS for short).

Rooting is modifying the phone so that you have access to the root system. Once you have this access, you can change settings and remove programs that are normally protected.

Snapdragon is the processor that is used in the phone. Not sure about ISCA.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone seems to think this phone is ugly!? I think it's the best looking one out there. All the rest look like slabs of black floor tile. This one has some splashes of color and silver accent as well as some angular lines the rest lack.
    I kind of like how it looks too. However, it is not nearly as sleek as many of the new phones.

I'm a gold prospector and I am frequently out in the middle of nowhere exploring under some harsh conditions so I need the durability and reliability. I don't play games, listen to music, tweet, farcebook, or any of that other silly stuff on a phone. I make calls and text. But this is my first smartphone so hopefully the learning curve will be small.
    You can use it just like your other phones, except that it doesn't have a physical keyboard. You can learn the rest over time.

I am pretty sure I will want to get rid of what you call, "bloatware". I have that on my AT&T Rugby and hate it. If I go through with this "rooting" thing, will that void the warranty?

Anyway, I look forward to getting some help here from the more experienced users. I'm going in to try it on Saturday. The small little local stores don't have it, so I've got to into town to the mall and play at the big boys store.

Digger Bob
    Rooting can void the warranty. If you root the phone and don't take precautions to unroot it before bringing it in for service, they will likely not honor the warranty (depending on your coverage and damage to the phone). Unfortunately, most phone manufacturers don't want you to root phones, likely because there would be many more tech support calls from people who inadvertently screwed up their phones, so they do their best to keep you from doing so. This phone has only been out a day, so it may take a while for someone to discover how it can be rooted.

CJ

Feedback Score
    I bit the bullet and got the new commando. I had the original commando since it came out and was probably a week shy of throwing it down range and blowing it up.. Everything electronicly I buy has to be top end specs, but everything I use out doors has to be indestructible for the crap I put stuff through. I was torn between waiting for the Galaxy S4 active & the new Commando. I never actually looked at the new Active's since I was to lazy to stop by a AT&T store and check them out. I played with the S4 at verizon though. I went off the assumption the S4 Active is just the S4 with the IP67 specs of being water/dust tight and everything else was kept the same on the phone. So for the people who are torn between the two or in the same boat as I was, I'll go through my thought process..

The Commando 4g(c811) is a VERY nice upgrade over the original commando but is no where in par with the S4 in terms of specs. The S4's resolution vs C811 is immediately noticed, resolution on the commando is far less crisp, brightness suffers substantially, processing power on loading apps you can notice a difference. If I had to relate the commando to a product I'd relate it to the Razr HD MAXX on processing power. The resolution of the C811 is not as great the Razr HD MAXX either. I believe the HDMaxx runs 720p? The C811 runs off of 480x800 which I think is a 480p 16:9 knock off. Can't remember don't quote me on that.. So screen resolution, brightness, vividness is definately lacking versus the HDs/S4s.

There is bloatware all over the phone.. It will needed to be rooted sometime to have it all removed.. after that I wouldn't ever worry about processing power imo. The fact that phone is dual core versus the new 4core coming out is a drawback but I assume phone software will be like computer hardware.. Alot of software doesn't utilize all four cores. Yes more processing power on the quads but for the person who needs a rugged phone does it really matter? It matters to me on my computers but I don't use my phone for too much stuff besides music/browsing/occassional video game.. The RAM is a set back but I suppose rooting and removing bloatware will help solve this issue.

Now this part is in comparison the original commando, so if you have a different smartphone don't go off of this. The c811 phone response is unremarkable, colors are more vivid, processing power is great. The 4g is an unbelievable upgrade in speed when browsing the web. Websites came up right away instead of taking the usual 45 seconds to load a basic HTML website with no pictures. The speaker phone seems to be literally 2x louder, I used to have to keep my commando's incall volume on 100% to barely hear the person when driving, I had to keep it at 70% and it still hurt my ears. 100% on speaker phone had unbearable loudness incall while driving. The speaker on it was definately upgraded. This is great for playing music outdoors and not having to keep the phone glued by your side to hear it. The camera options on it are fantastic. There are a ton of features. Autofocus: normal/center/face detection/off. The white balances remain the same(cloud/daylight/incad/etc). The picture quality is 8mp(4:3 ratio),6m,5m,2m,vga,WVGA,Full HD(1080p,16:9 ratio). The greatest camera upgrade is the camera modes. It has standard(normal commando camera snap), quick shot(without the focus on the commando its comparable to), continuous shot(1 shot per .1 sec, 25 shots total),HDR(yes!), and Panorama(It's like the iphones Panoramic camera.. rotate your body to capture full picture, not paste them together.). The speed and focus of the camera is a huge upgrade. Did I mention you can actually zoom in with the C811?! The coloring on it versus the commando has been upgraded on it but I believe my GF's Razr HD MAXX still has a better color saturation. The greens seemed to be a little too washed out, they wern't as vivid as they looked in person. I didn't see the whole picture "haze" you would get off of the normal commando.

When I went there to look at the phone the salesman tried to talk me out of the C811. This is for anyone who might run into the same situation.. He said the HD MAXX would definately be a better upgrade, It was on the basis the old one had processing problems with it's outdated hardware and software. I told him I needed a phone I could put through the ringer and survive.. He told me to get an otterbox for the HD MAXX.. when I told him I needed one that could be submerged he said the otterbox should be fine.. I didn't like the fact the speaker/camera/flash was not covered. Nor the fact there was a screen protector on the box(I HATE screen protectors). I asked him about rushing water.. he asked "what do you need that for?" I told him when I was crossing what was supposed to be a stream a couple weeks ago, it turned into a raging rapid from torrential downpours in the area. Crossing it at midnight upto my waist with 40lbs of gear on my back and rushing water I have a great chance of it taking me down and submerging everything. He said no don't risk it with the otterbox but thats a rare case scenario.. I asked him about dropping it off of a roof.. "what do you need that for?" my response "done it..".. I asked him about running the otterbox over.. "what do you need that for?"... "ever work on a truck and try to find your tools? you don't find them all until you pull out..".. Nope.. "What about dropping it out of a tree in -10 degree weather, can that plastic hold up?" .. "wouldn't risk it".. Sooo this guy is just trying to get commission.. I decide to **** him off more.. "So with this screen protector, and a phone that doesn't have glove mode, can I use my gloves on the otterbox in that -10 degree weather?"... "well we sell touch screen gloves that will work".. "Oh so your gloves will hold upto that kind of cold, hold up through brush, jaggers, blood, grease and what ever else I throw at them, their indestructible touch screen gloves?".. he just gave me a blank stare. That was my deciding factor right there. I needed the commando 4g for the milspec it offers.

Now if you were in the same boat as me of waiting for the Galaxy S4 active or taking the C811 I'll say this.. The S4 active will be a much nicer phone, but its NOT shock proof! you WILL need a case for it! I hate phone cases, their way too bulky, I don't trust them for ****, and I honestly don't think they'll put upto the same beating the commandos will.. for the people who owned a commando you know we could trash and miss treat this phone and it would take it like a champ. Would you throw your smart phone with a "shockproof" case flat on the concrete on purpose? I sure as hell wouldn't. I did it with my commando all the time and it would laugh in my face. If you need a Milspec phone this is it.. You're sacrificing performance(it's still awesome imo) though remember that. If you're not going to put it through hell like I will be doing, wait it out for the galaxy S4 active to hit verizon. I'll say this.. the commando is like money to me.. you can trash it, misstreat it, abuse it, and it'll still work. I don't think the active will ever come close to the abuse the C811 can take. The active seems to be for people who go to the beach or pool and worry about getting it wet.. I hope this write up helps whoever falls into the various categories decide.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deiboe View Post
    I bit the bullet and got the new commando. I had the original commando since it came out and was probably a week shy of throwing it down range and blowing it up.. Everything electronicly I buy has to be top end specs, but everything I use out doors has to be indestructible for the crap I put stuff through. I was torn between waiting for the Galaxy S4 active & the new Commando. I never actually looked at the new Active's since I was to lazy to stop by a AT&T store and check them out. I played with the S4 at verizon though. I went off the assumption the S4 Active is just the S4 with the IP67 specs of being water/dust tight and everything else was kept the same on the phone. So for the people who are torn between the two or in the same boat as I was, I'll go through my thought process..

The Commando 4g(c811) is a VERY nice upgrade over the original commando but is no where in par with the S4 in terms of specs. The S4's resolution vs C811 is immediately noticed, resolution on the commando is far less crisp, brightness suffers substantially, processing power on loading apps you can notice a difference. If I had to relate the commando to a product I'd relate it to the Razr HD MAXX on processing power. The resolution of the C811 is not as great the Razr HD MAXX either. I believe the HDMaxx runs 720p? The C811 runs off of 480x800 which I think is a 480p 16:9 knock off. Can't remember don't quote me on that.. So screen resolution, brightness, vividness is definately lacking versus the HDs/S4s.

There is bloatware all over the phone.. It will needed to be rooted sometime to have it all removed.. after that I wouldn't ever worry about processing power imo. The fact that phone is dual core versus the new 4core coming out is a drawback but I assume phone software will be like computer hardware.. Alot of software doesn't utilize all four cores. Yes more processing power on the quads but for the person who needs a rugged phone does it really matter? It matters to me on my computers but I don't use my phone for too much stuff besides music/browsing/occassional video game.. The RAM is a set back but I suppose rooting and removing bloatware will help solve this issue.

Now this part is in comparison the original commando, so if you have a different smartphone don't go off of this. The c811 phone response is unremarkable, colors are more vivid, processing power is great. The 4g is an unbelievable upgrade in speed when browsing the web. Websites came up right away instead of taking the usual 45 seconds to load a basic HTML website with no pictures. The speaker phone seems to be literally 2x louder, I used to have to keep my commando's incall volume on 100% to barely hear the person when driving, I had to keep it at 70% and it still hurt my ears. 100% on speaker phone had unbearable loudness incall while driving. The speaker on it was definately upgraded. This is great for playing music outdoors and not having to keep the phone glued by your side to hear it. The camera options on it are fantastic. There are a ton of features. Autofocus: normal/center/face detection/off. The white balances remain the same(cloud/daylight/incad/etc). The picture quality is 8mp(4:3 ratio),6m,5m,2m,vga,WVGA,Full HD(1080p,16:9 ratio). The greatest camera upgrade is the camera modes. It has standard(normal commando camera snap), quick shot(without the focus on the commando its comparable to), continuous shot(1 shot per .1 sec, 25 shots total),HDR(yes!), and Panorama(It's like the iphones Panoramic camera.. rotate your body to capture full picture, not paste them together.). The speed and focus of the camera is a huge upgrade. Did I mention you can actually zoom in with the C811?! The coloring on it versus the commando has been upgraded on it but I believe my GF's Razr HD MAXX still has a better color saturation. The greens seemed to be a little too washed out, they wern't as vivid as they looked in person. I didn't see the whole picture "haze" you would get off of the normal commando.

When I went there to look at the phone the salesman tried to talk me out of the C811. This is for anyone who might run into the same situation.. He said the HD MAXX would definately be a better upgrade, It was on the basis the old one had processing problems with it's outdated hardware and software. I told him I needed a phone I could put through the ringer and survive.. He told me to get an otterbox for the HD MAXX.. when I told him I needed one that could be submerged he said the otterbox should be fine.. I didn't like the fact the speaker/camera/flash was not covered. Nor the fact there was a screen protector on the box(I HATE screen protectors). I asked him about rushing water.. he asked "what do you need that for?" I told him when I was crossing what was supposed to be a stream a couple weeks ago, it turned into a raging rapid from torrential downpours in the area. Crossing it at midnight upto my waist with 40lbs of gear on my back and rushing water I have a great chance of it taking me down and submerging everything. He said no don't risk it with the otterbox but thats a rare case scenario.. I asked him about dropping it off of a roof.. "what do you need that for?" my response "done it..".. I asked him about running the otterbox over.. "what do you need that for?"... "ever work on a truck and try to find your tools? you don't find them all until you pull out..".. Nope.. "What about dropping it out of a tree in -10 degree weather, can that plastic hold up?" .. "wouldn't risk it".. Sooo this guy is just trying to get commission.. I decide to **** him off more.. "So with this screen protector, and a phone that doesn't have glove mode, can I use my gloves on the otterbox in that -10 degree weather?"... "well we sell touch screen gloves that will work".. "Oh so your gloves will hold upto that kind of cold, hold up through brush, jaggers, blood, grease and what ever else I throw at them, their indestructible touch screen gloves?".. he just gave me a blank stare. That was my deciding factor right there. I needed the commando 4g for the milspec it offers.

Now if you were in the same boat as me of waiting for the Galaxy S4 active or taking the C811 I'll say this.. The S4 active will be a much nicer phone, but its NOT shock proof! you WILL need a case for it! I hate phone cases, their way too bulky, I don't trust them for ****, and I honestly don't think they'll put upto the same beating the commandos will.. for the people who owned a commando you know we could trash and miss treat this phone and it would take it like a champ. Would you throw your smart phone with a "shockproof" case flat on the concrete on purpose? I sure as hell wouldn't. I did it with my commando all the time and it would laugh in my face. If you need a Milspec phone this is it.. You're sacrificing performance(it's still awesome imo) though remember that. If you're not going to put it through hell like I will be doing, wait it out for the galaxy S4 active to hit verizon. I'll say this.. the commando is like money to me.. you can trash it, misstreat it, abuse it, and it'll still work. I don't think the active will ever come close to the abuse the C811 can take. The active seems to be for people who go to the beach or pool and worry about getting it wet.. I hope this write up helps whoever falls into the various categories decide.

Nice write up....Thank you!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveClarkVT View Post
    If you follow this path:
    Shop -> Accessories, View All -> By Device -> Commando 4G LTE -> All Accessories for: Casio® Commando 4G LTE, View All and you'll see it along with the charging cradle on the first page.
    Not seeing the extended battery, but...

Cradle: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...alPhoneId=6753

It looks way too similar to the original Commando charging cradle... any word on compatibility? I really don't feel like dishing out another ~$30 for molded plastic.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone seems to think this phone is ugly!? I think it's the best looking one out there. All the rest look like slabs of black floor tile. This one has some splashes of color and silver accent as well as some angular lines the rest lack.
    I don't consider it ugly, but take a look at www.casiogzone.com and take a look at the phone on the left... Click "Japan" for a better look. It's pretty much the same exact phone, but packaged in a slightly more organic, durable looking package. That, and the red is just plain sexy for that style.

South Korea got the same model we did, but with a choice of color; the standard black that the US is offered, or a reversal in red. Does anyone know if we got these options?

I am pretty sure I will want to get rid of what you call, "bloatware". I have that on my AT&T Rugby and hate it. If I go through with this "rooting" thing, will that void the warranty?
    I'm with you here. I want to root this thing as soon as possible if there truly is that much bloat. As for the warranty, I believe it will... but if you've ever owned a G'zOne, you know you can literally just piss on the warranty. As for you (and I) non power users out there, make sure you know what you're doing or have a professional techie you know do the rooting, lest you 'brick' your phone (in which case, yes, the warranty will come in handy.)

Quote Originally Posted by deiboe View Post

I'm now buying the C811 because of this post.

Feedback Score
    Any word on battery longevity ?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by claysmith894 View Post
    Any word on battery longevity ?
    Unrelated, but...

Not that we should consider Verizon's site to be accurate, as it absolutely isn't, but I saw that the C811 is not wireless-charging capable... when we heard otherwise.

Feedback Score
    I'm pissed if thats the case.. I was looking forward to that.

Feedback Score
    A little off the subject, but i find it odd that there is no press release (news) of the new C811 Commando on the Casio USA site, nor on the Casio USA electronics Facebook page. As if they don't really care. As I have suspected before, Casio has some real idiots in their marketing department.

Feedback Score
    Can someone test the screen use when wet both in normal settings and with glove mode activated? I'm interested in seeing if its usable when the screen is soaked

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast