Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Casio G'zOne Commando 4G C811 Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willmavile View Post
    Unrelated, but...

Not that we should consider Verizon's site to be accurate, as it absolutely isn't, but I saw that the C811 is not wireless-charging capable... when we heard otherwise.
    I thought that was going to be with an optional wireless-charging back plate?

CJ

Feedback Score
    I got mine yesterday after and it's awesome. I haven't had much time to dive into it but the preliminary use has been great. Quick (even in my 3G town), shape/size feels good in the hand, responsive screen and tons of capability. There is definitely a lot of software they have already installed, hopefully we'll be able to remove most of it. I'll check back in after I've really played with it over the weekend.

I never had the first Commando and I know cases are redundant with it's ruggedness but what is everyone's take on screen protectors? Worth any loss is screen sensitivity? Gorilla glass 2 incapable of being scratched?

Feedback Score
    I like putting invisishieds on my electronics. For no other reason, it really hides all the fingerprints/smudges really well. Plus, it gives my fingers a little more traction. I like that. However, looks like there is not custom fit invisishield for this model yet.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So this is going to be slightly off-topic here, but I've been doing a bit of research on the Japanese Type-L, which is essentially the same thing as the Korean CA-201L and US Commando 4G LTE, but in a much sexier package. I started looking into it due to its more appealing shape, color, and also for the lack of color choices in the US Commando 4G LTE.

I called the NEC customer support line directly (800-637-5917) with the following questions I sent in an auto-returned, undelivered email:

Quote Originally Posted by Willmavile
    Hello,

I've been following the release of the new Commando 4G LTE for quite a while now, and I've discovered that it seems the Japanese Type-L has nearly the exact same specifications that the new US commando does.

I just have a few questions:

1. Is there any way I could purchase a red Japanese Type-L and have it shipped to the US?
    2. What differences are there, if any, in terms of physical hardware between the Type-L and Commando 4G LTE?
    3. Would there be any functional incompatibilities with the United States Verizon CDMA network?
    4. How compatible or interchangeable are the parts (e.g. battery pack, desk cradle, etc.) of the new Commando 4G LTE with the Type-L?

I only wanted to inquire about this because I feel the Type-L is more aesthetically pleasing and offers more options than the new Commando 4G LTE.

Thank you,
    He said that if you're able to acquire one (eBay would be my best guess) it should theoreticlly work on the US networks, as they are both CDMA phones. He said that although it would be a better question suited for Verizon Customer Support (yeah, right...) there is a new smartphone to be released in the US soon.

This piqued my interest after I confirmed with him that he was not referring to the new Commando 4G LTE released yesterday. I asked him if he had any details on it at all, to which he replied that he did not, however he expects to see it coming through the pipes within a year. Judging by Casio's track record on meeting release dates, I have my doubts.

However, I'm going to be looking further into acquiring a Type-L for Domestic use.

Feedback Score
    Seems like an awful lot of work for a phone that looks only a little different. Plus, I doubt Verizon will hook it up for you.

Feedback Score
    I don't know about this phone checked out it today and the screen resolution is horrid I know its intended
    market is suppose to not care they just want a mill spec phone that can survive a volcano, but I just hate
    looking at such a low grade screen resolution. The phone itself has a cheap feel to it at least to me. I felt underwhelmed
    and disappointed after waiting for so long to get my hands on it. The 479.00 price is for a reason guys I much rather it cost
    600 retail or 250 or 300 on contract and made a better phone. I don't think this phone is for me I'm still better off with my nice smart phone, and my G'zOne ravine.

Feedback Score
    Alright so I did the water test.. Glove mode is actually an app. It just pulls up your basic text messages/camera/dialer/notifications with huge buttons to use a glove on, texting isn't possible with it that I saw. Dialing out is. So its pretty much a huge button app. Water on the phone it acts like any regular touch screen with water on it. You'll miss inputs. It seemed to be better then the regular commando when it gets wet with touch screen response because the water beaded off pretty quickly. I'm sure that'll stop once you get oil build up on the screen from your fingers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deiboe View Post
    Alright so I did the water test.. Glove mode is actually an app. It just pulls up your basic text messages/camera/dialer/notifications with huge buttons to use a glove on, texting isn't possible with it that I saw. Dialing out is. So its pretty much a huge button app. Water on the phone it acts like any regular touch screen with water on it. You'll miss inputs. It seemed to be better then the regular commando when it gets wet with touch screen response because the water beaded off pretty quickly. I'm sure that'll stop once you get oil build up on the screen from your fingers.
    Damn. I had seen a Sony phone that had a screen that would work when wet and I was hoping that they had implemented similar tech into this one. Oh well...

Feedback Score
    Mine just came in the mail today "Fedex". Took the memory card out the Brigade, installed it into the C811 and started charging it. Kinda pissed me off that it didnt come with a cradle. Fairly sure the stock battery cover is wireless capable cause of the copper contacts that go from the phone and touch the cover....
    Casio Type-V, Brigade, Commando 4g LTE......

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Hmm... do I detect a general consensus of slight disappointment here?

Feedback Score
    Just talked to Verizon, the 4g does have wireless charging capabilities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by willmavile View Post
    Hmm... do I detect a general consensus of slight disappointment here?
    No disappointment on my end. Picked it up this evening and have been running it ragged since. No force closes, no restarts, no freezing or any slowing down at all.

The camera has loads of features and from the low light photos I've taken, it has performed decently. I'll take some better daylight photos tomorrow to get a better idea but I like what I've seen thus far.

The feel of the phone is perfect in my eyes. Lighter than the previous commando, with a nice curvature along the edge. The USB port is a perfect place to rest your thumb when making a call. The lighter weight does give it the feeling that it isn't quite as sturdy, but that is merely perception; long term tests will tell the story there.

My only big negative is the lack of a physical shutter key. I'm surprised they didn't code it to allow the tactile key to function as a shutter.

In the end, the phone came in under the anticipated price and meets all my current needs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deiboe View Post
    Just talked to Verizon, the 4g does have wireless charging capabilities.
    Specs on verizonwireless.com says 'standard battery cover'. And I don't see anything mentioned about wireless charging. You would think that they would mention that somewhere.

BTW - my 2 year contract is up in September and I currently have a rooted C711 running original M050 build. Should I wait until September for a better Verizon deal? Plus maybe by that time there will be a rooting method to disable all the stock apps and stupid Verizon apps that I have no use for.

Feedback Score
    Got mine on Thursday, so far, so good, except for one thing, it won't recognize the photos on the memory card I transferred from my C711. I know the photos are there. Anyone have any ideas?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quezzy View Post
    Fairly sure the stock battery cover is wireless capable cause of the copper contacts that go from the phone and touch the cover....
    That should be for the NFC.

CJ

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast