Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Casio G'zOne Commando 4G C811 Release Thread

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JerZ 5982 View Post
    my original commando has been run over by a jeep twice, left 4 feet under in a rock bed in the Delaware river for two hours, thrown on concrete and the screen is mint...why would anybody put a screen protector on a mil spec phone? that's just as bad as buying a cover for it...
    This.

at least with the dock, all ports can remain sealed. if the cover is ever released, i hope they make one for the extended battery as well.
    This too.

I wanted to buy the dock to the original Commando because of my bad experience with the micro-USB port that seems to have become standard with most devices nowadays. They'd always break inside the phone, fray to the point of uselessness, or literally just fall out.

I was honestly kind of surprised that Casio didn't release the commando line using Mini-USB as opposed to the more common micro spec due to Mini's durability. I guess they wanted to go with the chargers that cost the most amount of money.

Feedback Score
    micro usb is a bad design/out dated. everybody complained when most companies used their own style chargers like apple still does. now the public got what they wanted and are able to use old and universal chargers for the most part. so instead of engineering something different/better, we're stuck with sub-par options because people are ignorant...unless wireless takes off and becomes the standard.

Feedback Score
    by the way...incase anybody was wondering, i was told the the metal contacts on the battery covers are for the antenna, not for nfc or wireless charging. not sure how true that is, but that's what the verizon tech told me when i received the phone.

Feedback Score
    by the way...incase anybody was wondering, i was told the the metal contacts on the battery covers are for the antenna, not for nfc or wireless charging. not sure how true that is, but that's what the verizon tech told me when i received the phone.
    One way to test it is to take off the battery cover. If, like the Thunderbolt, the antenna(s) are in the battery cover, the signal should drop to 1XRTT or even no signal. At the very least, the signal strength should drop, not necessarily the bars, but the -dBm, if you can find it in settings.

Feedback Score
    Email From Verizon

Good Morning,

In reviewing the concern that was addressed to our office, we regret the poor experience that you've encountered. The concern addressed being advised the release date of the Casio G'zOne Commando 4G LTE, the upgrade fee, the battery life of the device and the lack of a charging cradle included in the packaging.

Verizon Wireless typically will not release the launch dates of new products as we reserve the right to modify that date at any time. On very rare occasions, we will partner with the manufacturer to announce a device; however, this is not a common occurrence. The $30.00 upgrade fee was instituted in 2012 and applies to all Verizon Wireless customers that elect to upgrade their device at the two year sale price with a new contract. Verizon Wireless was the last of the major carriers to implement such a charge and is less than our closest competitors.

The battery life stated on the reviews and information for the device is based upon being under optimal conditions. Unfortunately, the battery life can vary dependent upon signal strength, applications running and other factors within the device. If there is an issue with the battery, please visit your local Verizon Wireless retail location so they may review it and take any necessary actions.

At this time, there is no charging cradle currently available for the device. Casio reserves the right to include accessories as they deem necessary; however, in this instance we do not have such an option available.

As a long time valued customer, the Executive Office is willing to issue a courtesy credit to the account in the amount of $30.00 to offset the upgrade fee that was incurred. We value your business and hope this offer will be accepted and we can continue to provide you with the best service.

Sincerely,

Aaron J. Fischman
    Northeast Area Executive Relations
    Casio Type-V, Brigade, Commando 4g LTE......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quezzy View Post
    Email From Verizon

Good Morning,

In reviewing the concern that was addressed to our office, we regret the poor experience that you've encountered. The concern addressed being advised the release date of the Casio G'zOne Commando 4G LTE, the upgrade fee, the battery life of the device and the lack of a charging cradle included in the packaging.

Verizon Wireless typically will not release the launch dates of new products as we reserve the right to modify that date at any time. On very rare occasions, we will partner with the manufacturer to announce a device; however, this is not a common occurrence. The $30.00 upgrade fee was instituted in 2012 and applies to all Verizon Wireless customers that elect to upgrade their device at the two year sale price with a new contract. Verizon Wireless was the last of the major carriers to implement such a charge and is less than our closest competitors.

The battery life stated on the reviews and information for the device is based upon being under optimal conditions. Unfortunately, the battery life can vary dependent upon signal strength, applications running and other factors within the device. If there is an issue with the battery, please visit your local Verizon Wireless retail location so they may review it and take any necessary actions.

At this time, there is no charging cradle currently available for the device. Casio reserves the right to include accessories as they deem necessary; however, in this instance we do not have such an option available.

As a long time valued customer, the Executive Office is willing to issue a courtesy credit to the account in the amount of $30.00 to offset the upgrade fee that was incurred. We value your business and hope this offer will be accepted and we can continue to provide you with the best service.

Sincerely,

Aaron J. Fischman
    Northeast Area Executive Relations

There is a charging cradle available on the Verizon website http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...alPhoneId=6753

Feedback Score
    Since I havn't seen many pictures. I took a few with my old commando next to the new. Along with a couple other pictures for us that had just been old commando customers. Like, a lot of people, the commando was my first smartphone and I had never had to replace it but like many I had the same issues with the C771: Battery life, programs closing, slow responses, and so on.

Name:  Snapshot_20130704.jpg
Views: 4759
Size:  44.1 KB

As you can see there isn't much difference in thickness of the C771 and the new C811.

Name:  Snapshot_20130704_1.jpg
Views: 3391
Size:  38.1 KB

The C771 and the C811 are almost the same sizes.

Name:  Snapshot_20130704_3.jpg
Views: 3207
Size:  48.9 KB

As you can see from this picture is the old C771 dock/cradle does not work with the new C811. The areas of thickness and the overall length of the C811 almost unnoticeable is just enough to make it not work in the old C771 cradle.

Name:  Snapshot_20130704_4.jpg
Views: 3443
Size:  42.4 KB

Thickness of phone with the standard battery cover that comes on the phone

Name:  Snapshot_20130704_5.jpg
Views: 4626
Size:  43.1 KB

Thickness with the extended battery on the phone adds a little under .25 inches to the back of the phone (note: it is rather protruding)

Name:  Snapshot_20130704_6.jpg
Views: 3112
Size:  45.4 KB

For us on the old C771 the new C811 will come with a SIM Card. It is seperate and not in the Box the phone comes in. The picture above shows the SIM Card will be in the insert that has your receipt. So don't panic if it isn't in the box in the phone. It wil be in the Getting Started insert.

Name:  Snapshot_20130704_7.jpg
Views: 3147
Size:  29.8 KB

Back of the old C771 and the new C811.

I will include the important or helpfull things to know about the differences in the next post
    Last edited by ClanMacleod21; 07-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    Ok, so important or helpfull things to know before getting the C811 after having a C771 for so long. I am a tech/spec guy and I was disappointed when I found that this phone didn't come with a better processor or 2gb ram but I also work in a business where I go through normal phones in a few months and my C771 held up. So I decided to go with the C811. I have read some post it doesn't feel as sturdy or rugged as the first. When comparing it directly to the C771 it doesn't but if you pick up anyone of the many other smart phones on the market the C811 feels solid. It has very little flex, almost zero and the battery plate will not come popping off when you drop it. However if in some strange instance it does the C811 added a new feature that the C771 did not have. The battery in the C811 has its own physical lock to keep it in place even when the cover is removed.

You won't have the problems with the C811 that you did on the C771 pluging in an Aux. jack they have solved this problem so you don't have to go search for an Aux. jack that fits in a small deep hole.

Picture quality on the C811 compared to the C771 has improved drastically. No more blury shots, no more delay in the shutter, you actually take the picture you intended to take with the C811.

The standard and the extended battery covers are not able to charge wireless, there is another cover that is as big as the extended battery cover that will allow this. Although, you don't get the benefit from the extended battery but all the bulk of the same extended battery cover for wireless charging.

The new standard battery in the C811 even though still not high enough Mhz in my opinion is much better than the C771. The C811 standard battery didn't give me a fear during medium to heavy usage of running out during a normal 8 hour day.

The extended battery even though noticeably heavier and bulky will last longer than a full day of very heavy usage. I tested this and I charged the phone complete with the extended battery before going to bed. Left it unpluged, the next day I woke up, I went on a marathon of twitter, youtube, facebook, news sites on the web browser. It lasted from the morning all the way through the day with still having a little under 20% left on the battery.

Mind you the battery test I did were after disabling a ton of bloatware and this phone is the king of bloatware. There are a ton of preinstalled apps, that make it to the point of absurd. I recommend sitting down and taking the almost hour it took me to disable all of it.

Call quality does seem better with the C811.

The C811 doesn't come with a micro SD card like the C771 did.

Remember the C811 uses 4.0 ICS and if you install your old SD card from your C771 you can not see the apps on that SD card on your new C811. 4.0 ICS is only designed to store photos, videos, documents, etc not apps. So if you wonder why it isn't coming up that is the reason, it isn't the phone it is the difference in the old android system and the new.

When first starting your C811 the barometer won't work right off the bat for the predicting weather app. It is because you have to give it a few hours to take several readings. After that it will work as advertised.

The FM radio feature on your C811 will only work if you have a headphone set plugged in. It will remind you of this when you enter the app. It uses the cord as an antenna. Blue tooth won't work for this you have to have a physical headset plugged in.

The touch screen is way more responsive on the C811 than it was on the C771 which takes some getting use to. This is two reasons, one because of hardware and two because of software.

The speakers aren't as loud on the C811 as they were on the C771 but unless you used it constantly in a very noisy environment they still seem better than most of the current smartphones on the market.

The power button on the top of the C811 is a little annoying with one hand operation to lock the phone. You can push any physical button to unlock it though.

The C811 is a lot more slippery than the C771. It slides in your hand when holding it due to the harder design of the case of the C811. Good thing it is shock proof.

C811 just like the C771 still seems to have some issues with looking at the screen in bright light outdoors but this is no more or no less than the C771 in my opinion.

Overall, the specs are ok. If you have been dealing with just your original C771 Commando this C811 is a huge step forward. Although, if you been playing with your friends, family, or kids Galaxy S4 you will notice the difference. Just comparing the C811 to the C771. Response time is a big difference. Web, twitter, Facebook, calling, apps respond in a flash. Touch screen is so much more sensative. Plus, you have a ton of memory room compared to the C771. You will be happy to move on from your old C771 after dealing with calling the wrong person because of the saftware hangups, being able to see your twitter updates without the app closing, not waiting for minutes to see a web site. The C811 is faster both on 3g and 4g. So even if you don't have 4g in the area you will still notice the difference in web browsing with 3g.

I would like to see Casio make a phone that competes a lot better with the current spec market, along with having the rugged application to the hardware. I guess only time will tell
    Last edited by ClanMacleod21; 07-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CJO4 View Post
    That should be for the NFC.

CJ
    You are correct it is for NFC, not wireless charging

Feedback Score

The insturctions of the phone say those contacts are for NFC. It tells the user on the plastic that covers the battery cover when new (you know those plastic protectors they put on when shipping to "protect" it) to tap the NFC logo on the cover when using NFC.

Feedback Score
    yes you can silence notifications without silencing the ringer. It is under settings>sounds>volumes then it allows you to adjust volume for each category music, video, games & other media, ringtone, notifications, alarms. All 4 you can adjust independently

Feedback Score
    Great review. Pretty much summed up all of my opinions so far. Couple things about the camera; I know some people were upset about the lack of a physical camera button. On the C811, the lock screen has a shortcut to the camera, just a double click. It's honestly way faster than the C711 unlocking, then holding down the camera button for a few seconds. I think it'll really help when you have to get that shot quick before the bird flies away or whatever. Yes, I do miss the half-click focus feature of the button but all of the features of the new camera make up for it tenfold. One more thing. I DON'T like the headphone jack and lanyard being on the top and bottom. It doesn't make any sense to me and it's irritating to get into your pocket when listening to music if you actually use it. I like having the phone tethered to a carabiner clipped on my belt loop and this phone makes it a little difficult. All in all still very satisfied. As my second smartphone, I don't mind "lower" specs than current because I really don't know any better. Ignorance is bliss!

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClanMacleod21 View Post
    yes you can silence notifications without silencing the ringer. It is under settings>sounds>volumes then it allows you to adjust volume for each category music, video, games & other media, ringtone, notifications, alarms. All 4 you can adjust independently
    Thank you! That is great news for me. I am still contemplating getting this as I am used to a 5" screen for my aging eyes. Can you tell me what size sim card is used and also can a 64gb card be used even though it says it supports up to 32gb? Thanks again and great write up!

Feedback Score
    It is a micro Sim card and a miro-SD that only goes to 32gb per the specifications for the phone. I would imagine you can install a micro-sd 64gb card but the software will still only allow 32gb to be used.

Feedback Score
    ****Remember not to remove the screen protector that comes on the phone**** Why? Cause you can rub off the white letters with your finger making it a free screen protector ;0 Also found out the volume buttons are zoom in and out when sideways.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast