Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Thread: Casio G'zOne Commando 4G C811 Release Thread

Feedback Score
    Has anybody had problems with the camera lens getting foggy internally. My pics are now all foggy. I have never immersed this phone and always kept the doors shut and locked. I am only at 10 months, but I did not buy the warranty... Can I get this fixed or replaced free by VZW? If not, then cost to disassemble and clean (assuming vzw would do it)?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chemicalgutter; 05-12-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    If it's only at ten months or so I would warranty it. Of course they are going to have you do a factory data reset since everyone knows that when you wipe the phone it cleans the camera lens too.

You will probably need to go to a corp. store, I can't imagine a CSR understanding or relating to this problem over the phone.

Feedback Score
    They are sending me a new phone, but they recommended me driving to a store to have them look at the phone before returning my old one.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    anybody know if it's possible to use a micro sd card to increase speed/performance of the phone rather than storage?

Feedback Score
    Update: Verizon would not replace my phone since they believe that condensation under the lens means it is "water damaged" and not covered under warranty. I sent the new phone back rather than get charged full retail when my phone didn't qualify... I tried to explain that condensation does not mean I took it underwater, but rather it means that the phone is not tight enough to seal our water vapor (from the air). but oh well... It started taking better pics recently so I guess it will only effect me in the colder months.

Feedback Score
    I know nothing about using SD storage to boost performance. Seems plausible, although probably not with a stock application. Sorry.

Feedback Score
    Verizon sent an update this week. I tried to say no, but it went and updated itself by itself. Anyway, since then my phone has been running something in the background nonstop. My extended life battery is lasting about 3 hours and it is always HOT! Has anyone else had this problem? or know a fix?

Feedback Score
    Better question is how many people out there have a still-functioning C811...

I was an early adopter of the C811, picking it up within the first week it was available. My phone did not exhibit any of the issues many were having with resetting or other quirks. Other than extremely poor camera quality (seriously, the quality of images from that thing were worse than a digital P&S from 2005), I was generally satisfied with the phone...

Fast foward to a few weeks past the 1-year manufacturer warranty expiring, and my phone suddenly began to occasionally lock up requiring a battery pull to straighten it out. It began doing this just once every few days, but would ramp up in frequency over time. I tried doing full factory resets and the problem persisted.

Eventually, after about two weeks of increasing frequency of freezing, the phone completely gave out. Since I opted not to purchase the extended warranty from Verizon as I have never damaged a phone to the point of needing replacement, I am now stuck with a wonderful paperweight and have gone back using the painfully slow C771.

Has anyone had any luck getting Verizon to offer even so much as an early upgrade to anyone who has had their Commando inexplicably **** the bed outside of the manufacturer warranty period? I haven't pressed the issue because I don't want to get more pissed off about the situation than I already am, but if others have had success...

Feedback Score

My phone has also stopped working... outside of warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveClarkVT View Post
    Better question is how many people out there have a still-functioning C811...

I was an early adopter of the C811, picking it up within the first week it was available. My phone did not exhibit any of the issues many were having with resetting or other quirks. Other than extremely poor camera quality (seriously, the quality of images from that thing were worse than a digital P&S from 2005), I was generally satisfied with the phone...

Fast foward to a few weeks past the 1-year manufacturer warranty expiring, and my phone suddenly began to occasionally lock up requiring a battery pull to straighten it out. It began doing this just once every few days, but would ramp up in frequency over time. I tried doing full factory resets and the problem persisted.

Eventually, after about two weeks of increasing frequency of freezing, the phone completely gave out. Since I opted not to purchase the extended warranty from Verizon as I have never damaged a phone to the point of needing replacement, I am now stuck with a wonderful paperweight and have gone back using the painfully slow C771.

Has anyone had any luck getting Verizon to offer even so much as an early upgrade to anyone who has had their Commando inexplicably **** the bed outside of the manufacturer warranty period? I haven't pressed the issue because I don't want to get more pissed off about the situation than I already am, but if others have had success...
    I am not sure if my symptoms were exactly the same, but my phone would periodically power off and not power back up again. I took to the verizon store, and the guy there did a soft reset (power and down volume button simultaneously) which miraculously turned it on. The guy said that this was not covered under any warranty (I am at 15 months since purchase and no extended warranty), and that I was not eligible to upgrade early. So if the problem got worse, I was out of luck. I had to do this soft reset a few more times in the next couple days, then it seemed to work fine for about a week. I have been coping with this by forwarding all my calls to my wifes phone.

One time it occurred while I was watching it. It had full battery, then the battery went to an exclamation point (dead) and went through the powering down process. After dealing with this for 3 weeks total, it has finally stopped working. When I plug it in for charging, I get a red light, but the screen does not power up (to show the battery charge level). I have tried switching back from the extended battery back to the original, but that didn't fix anything. I have pulled the SD card and continued trying to do soft resets. Nothing works... blank dead screen.

I have never dropped this in water and never done any impact damage to the phone. The screen is even scratch free. All stickers show no water damage. I have never needed the extended warranty out of 13 years of owning phones. This "rugged", supposedly bulletproof phone will be the first that I wished I had a warranty for.

I'll ask the same question again. How many other people have had this problem? Also, any solutions to fix it? or advice on how to get a new phone at less than full price? I would love to get the new Kyocera Brigadier, but it is $400 without a renewal

Not directly related sidenote:
    I saved my old 3G commando, since it treated me very well. I planned to use it in the event this 4G one had problems, , but coincidentally I ended up loaning it to my sister-in-law a couple weeks ago when she dropped her S3 in the toilet with an already cracked screen.

Feedback Score
    That is exactly what mine does when it is plugged in. Red light, nothing else happens.

Verizon has just washed their hands of the whole situation while Casio has also walked away from the phone game...

That free watch isn't looking so free anymore...

Feedback Score
    Yeah man, this happened to my first 2. I take responsibility for it tho since I left the phone in my board shorts when I went into a hot tub. Only later when it happened again did I put 2 and 2 together and stop doing that. Been fine ever since. Luckily Verizon admitted that it could be a program issue with the focus so they replaced it for free both times.

Only big problem I've had us the phone overheating and shutting down during charging overnight.

Feedback Score
    Verizon did replace my phone after it was a year old, as they felt the problems were happening due to a software update. Anyway.... I am wondering what phone people have udated to? There are NO durable phones on the market now. Our 2 years with the Commando are up or coming to an end soon.

Device(s)
    Commando 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dartlady View Post
    Verizon did replace my phone after it was a year old, as they felt the problems were happening due to a software update. Anyway.... I am wondering what phone people have udated to? There are NO durable phones on the market now. Our 2 years with the Commando are up or coming to an end soon.
    I am looking at Verizon's Brigadier by Kyocera. Waiting for someone I know to get one so I can get a first hand review.

Feedback Score
    I got the Brigadier for my 13 year old son.

Previously he had the S3 - twice that went back to Samsung for warranty repair, but that happens, sometimes you get a lemon. Anyway he slowly damaged the USB port until it became inoperable. Then a few months before his 2 years, he broke the screen. I activated a original S for the remainder of his contract and went hunting for a durable new phone for him. He got the phone just before last Christmas as a Christmas present.

He doesn't like the phone- but what does he know he's only 13 LOL. The Brigadier has a somewhat of a unique speaker system which I don't think he uses correctly. Their is no visible speaker instead, the screen vibrates and " the sound bypasses the eardrum and puts those vibrations into your inner ear". Google ' Kyocera's Smart Sonic Receiver Technology' for a short description of how it works. I think he still puts his ear to the top of the phone where a speaker usually is and he complains he has trouble hearing the other person on the line.

Also check out CNET's review of the Kyocera Brigadier. They did not have the best review of the 'call quality' but overall gave it a decent review. CNET's conclusion "If you're looking for a high-end handset decked out with the best tech available, this device won't satisfy. But if you want an affordable and rugged device, complete with a unique piece of display technology, than the Brigadier won't have any problem carrying its weight in the ring'.

Sorry, I only used the Brigadier a few times but here's my take:

1) From work, I call my son every morning before he heads off to school. I have trouble understanding him. But I chalk that up to two things: One - he's very whiny in the morning and Two - We don't have the best cell service in the house as I drop calls all the time on every phone I have had. On the other hand, when I have called him when he's not home, the call quality on the other hand is pretty good.

2) When I have used his phone to make a call, I had no issue hearing the person on the other hand (This is my son's complaint). The call seemed clear and crisp.

3) I really haven't used any apps on his phone other than simply opening them but when I did mess around with it, the phone seemed a hell of a lot faster the my G'zOne. Screens scroll smooth and fast. Everything opens super fast. Etc. It seems to me the Brigadier's processor will do circles around the G'zOne.

4) He's always on YouTube watching MineCraft related videos over WiFi and has great HD video quality with no buffering. Plus his phone pick's up my router's 5Ghz signal where as my G'zOne doesn't. 4G works great for YouTube but I had to shut that down on him a few times when he used 1G of my plan in minutes.

5) The phone is not locked down by Verizon. I was able to delete the bloatware that comes pre-loaded. Wish I could do that on the G'zOne.

6) He really wants a new phone. We are on opposite years for our 'new phone every 2 years'. He has suggested that I use my upgrade (coming soon) on him, and that I take over his Brigadier. And I am considering this. But he knows the rules: One - no Crab Apple. To me, Apple is just a status symbol plus I like the open Android system over the locked down IS. Two - no extended warranty- I refuse to pay for it on a monthly basis and then still have a $100 deductible. You're better off keeping an old phone as a backup and you can easily deactivate and reactivate a device on Verizon's website. Three - he's seriously on his own picking out a new phone - he didn't like my choices like the S3 (he overall liked it, but the 'lemon' issues really disappointed him and the Brigadier is a disappointment to him (call quality - which I don't see/hear).

PS - Durable phones are a niche phone. Most people are not interested in them therefore upgrades to the device itself will be far a few between since Verizon won't spend the time or money on a small percentage of their phones. But if you're like me or my 'not so responsible/careful' 13 year old son, you do become appreciative of the durability of these phones. And as I mentioned these are niche phones - the Brigadier is the only new durable phone you can get on Verizon. It's too bad Casio got of the cell phone business. Both the original G'zOne and the G'zOne 4g have served me well. Also keep in mind why you want a durable phone and how you'll be using it and what you'll be using it for. When these types of phones are released, they're already behind the times when it comes to its' processor and other capabilities such as pic quality, etc. The manufacturer has to cut costs somewhere to make the phone durable in order the to keep the overall cost to the buyer comparable to other phones out there.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29