Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Robo calls

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    219
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmobile View Post
    The phone must ring at least once for the CID to go through so the phone can check the # against the block list(s). The Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones always give the 1st ring before they block the numbers in the block list. The Uniden DECT 6.0 phones and several Android (paid) call blocking apps just silence the 1st ring of every call so we don't hear the 1st rings.
    Thank you for this info and tip on OBi setup.
    We also have the DECT 6.0 phones with four handsets.

    Just to clarify, for those robo calls that do manage to get through and leave a blank voice mail, and I received several so far, when they do get to the voice mail this counts against the 100 minutes I have on the $30 plan?
    Checking voice mail from a land line is a good tip.

    Need to look into the OBi devices.
    Our area does not have Fios and Verizon DSL so far has served us well but not sure how much longer DSL will be offered. Cable is something we would like to avoid if at all possible.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AncoraVa View Post
    Thank you for this info and tip on OBi setup.
    We also have the DECT 6.0 phones with four handsets.

    Just to clarify, for those robo calls that do manage to get through and leave a blank voice mail, and I received several so far, when they do get to the voice mail this counts against the 100 minutes I have on the $30 plan?
    Checking voice mail from a land line is a good tip.

    Need to look into the OBi devices.
    Our area does not have Fios and Verizon DSL so far has served us well but not sure how much longer DSL will be offered. Cable is something we would like to avoid if at all possible.
    The voice mail does NOT count against your minutes, though you checking it, from that phone does.

    What counts against your minutes, which I was asking about, if the app picks up the call then hangs up right away, that counts as a call and even though it is one second call time the phone company rounds up so it counts as 1 minute off your 100 minutes.
    For every blocked call that it does that for.

    Why are you avoiding Cable Internet? I can see avoiding some cable providers but on average cable internet is much faster and better then dsl. Fios is better but as you say its not as available.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    As to Cable internet I will give you a few examples, my own experience.

    I used to live in North Dakota, and Cable internet really only had one good company, lucky they really were good.

    I got service with them in 2000 and the service was for 1.5mbs down. the dsl available was only for 256kbs down soon enough cable upped theirs to 3mbs and dsl did not, then a couple years later dsl upped to 512kbs by that time cable was 10mbs down this trend continued until dsl finally was able to break 1mbs and cable has stayed many steps ahead of them.

    The claim I kept hearing was how dsl was consistent, never dropping below the stated speed no matter what time of day. However I found that with my cable internet I barely (if at all) dropped either. The worst speed I seen on cable, rated at 10mbs at that time, 2005 I think, was 8.6mbs and that was almost 8 x faster then the fast dsl.
    Now fast forward to now I am looking at 50+ mbs down 10+ up dsl is what 24? I pay under $70 for my tv and internet combined.

    Oh and just so no confusion I moved so I dont live there any more but still have family there, dsl there is still stuck below 10mbs while cable is offering over 100mbs, granted price is too high lol

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    464
    Feedback Score
    0
    I used to have AT&T 3Mbps DSL but speed tests showed I got only 2.4Mbps max even though I live only 1.5 miles from ATT DSL central office. I now subscribe to Comcast 25Mbps cable Internet and most of the time, my connection speeds are 30-47Mbps and it never goes below 27Mbps.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    219
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sbmobile View Post
    I used to have AT&T 3Mbps DSL but speed tests showed I got only 2.4Mbps max even though I live only 1.5 miles from ATT DSL central office. I now subscribe to Comcast 25Mbps cable Internet and most of the time, my connection speeds are 30-47Mbps and it never goes below 27Mbps.
    Although cable no doubt has much higher speed, we've been working on getting rid of Comcast TV service because of the way Comcast jacked up the rates over the years.
    There is very subjective bias against anything to with Comcast at the moment so tacking on internet service is not an option for us.
    Verizon DSL has been working fine for us which includes occasionally streaming videos from Netflix and Amazon.
    Not sure if Comcast will offer internet service without cable.
    They, like every other providers, will sell bundled service and offer a discount then jack up the price after 10 months.
    But I will agree cable speed is leaps and bounds over DSL.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    464
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have cable Internet only from Comcast Xfinity.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Jax
    Posts
    688
    Phones
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Google LG Nexus 4
    LG Esteem (Wife's)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AncoraVa View Post
    Although cable no doubt has much higher speed, we've been working on getting rid of Comcast TV service because of the way Comcast jacked up the rates over the years.
    There is very subjective bias against anything to with Comcast at the moment so tacking on internet service is not an option for us.
    Verizon DSL has been working fine for us which includes occasionally streaming videos from Netflix and Amazon.
    Not sure if Comcast will offer internet service without cable.
    They, like every other providers, will sell bundled service and offer a discount then jack up the price after 10 months.
    But I will agree cable speed is leaps and bounds over DSL.
    I dislike comcast on principle. I too however am forced to use them as they are the only provider in my area.
    They do offer just internet but price is higher then a bundled tv internet package.
    I first got them in aug 2010 I got on a promotion that gave me limited basic cable with there 30mbs all for $60 per month, no jacking up after any time frame.

    I stayed on that until this last feb at which time I stupidly believed the sales rep that contacted me and told me I could get the 50mbs with digital cable for $75 per month, AND if I didnt like it I could switch back within 15 days.
    Well I found out 5 days into the service this was a promo rate that only lasted 6 months then the price went to $109 I called them up and said put me back on my previous rate they said no way.

    I ended up going with a new promo that gives me limited digital basic with 30mbs for $49 for the first 6 months then going to $79 after that. And as a bonus right after I got on that they upped the speeds to 50mbs.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    219
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    The voice mail does NOT count against your minutes, though you checking it, from that phone does.
    What counts against your minutes, which I was asking about, if the app picks up the call then hangs up right away, that counts as a call and even though it is one second call time the phone company rounds up so it counts as 1 minute off your 100 minutes.
    With your helpful explanation, I can see the robo calls easily chewing through the 100 minutes via Mr. Number with the 'hang up' option chosen.

    I never thought about the difference - So a call going to voice mail, despite the ringing, does not constitute 'answering' the call?
    For those with 100 minutes of voice, the 'voice mail' option may be better than 'hang up' option in Mr. Number.
    However I can see one major drawback to voice mail option - the need to sift through the messages and doing so from a land line to prevent eating up the minutes.

    I need to pay closer attention to the minutes balance.

    Does the phone's blacklist feature eat up the minutes?
    Hopefully not.
    Love Mr. Number for all its capabilities, but now I am wondering if there is an app that outright blocks a number after adding to a list.
    Or an app that can harvest numbers accumulated in the phone's blacklist so I can occasionally clear out the very limited capacity.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    219
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    black69camaro and sbmobile:

    Thank you for sharing your service info.
    We at some point will need to rethink our services between Verizon (which we need/use for land line and DSL) and Comcast which is for TV only.
    In our area the customer service has been very good regardless of the pricing structures, etc. dictated at the corporate level.
    As for Comcast, the partial year promos with jacked up prices for the balance of the 12 month period seems to be part of the game of being their customer. I did have a customer service person (at the counter) mention all you have to do is roll it over into another 12 month promo period before the current promo expires.

    Interesting diversion from the original topic of this thread but still useful for me.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    620
    Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    My original method of dealing with these calls was setting a disconnected number for call forward on busy. With this pressing the decline button forwards the call to the disconnected number instead of to voice mail. Unfortunately prepaid lacks CCF and there are some situations when legitimate callers will hear the disconnected message such as if they attempt to call while waiting for another outgoing call to answer. Apps like Mr number automate the process when one is too busy to check such as when driving.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0

    robocalls

    Robocallers are like spammers. They're just like an intruder, too. The Federal Trade Commission is sick of getting grievances from consumers about robocalls, which have been a headache for a while. Since several companies aren't ceasing the practice, the FTC has publicized a $50,000 prize for any person who can determine how you can block robocalls. Article resource: why require a peek at much of personalmoneynetwork.com?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Robo or telemarketing calls
    By Greg111r in forum WIND Mobile
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 02:03 AM
  2. I'm Being Robo Called from Verizon Wireless: Any Way to Block It?
    By nathanbrand in forum Virgin Mobile USA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 09:25 AM
  3. phone banks vs robo-calls
    By Scottish Skyedance in forum Politics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
  4. How do you feel about robo-calls?
    By Dr Tran in forum Politics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
  5. Robo voice in the middle of a call.
    By Cynical234 in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 08:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks