Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: PayLo Basic Service Now Expired...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On an Island...
    Posts
    5,871
    Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0

    PayLo Basic Service Now Expired...

    So it looks like VM's PayLo service is now a Monthly Plan Only Option. If you use the service on a paygo basis and have an active account, you can continue to do so (grandfathered). If you currently have a PayLo basic paygo plan and switch to one of the monthly service options you will no longer have the ability to switch back to basic service.

    Any optional Sprint MVNO for low use subscribers like Ting ($9/mo.+taxes), others???

    ..........

    Somewhat hard to believe that a company that is perceived to be "anti-prepaid" service ~such as Verizon, now offers a superior PAYGO service option that includes:
    $20/month for Unlimited Messaging to anyone on any network in the U.S.,
    Unlimited Mobile Web – 99˘ per day of use (24–hour period),
    Unlimited ANYtime minutes for only $1.99/day of use.
    Last edited by vmobi; 06-30-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...


    Virgin Mobile: $35 / $1 | AT&T PREPAID: .25/Min

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Will they let people on the PAYG plans upgrade their phones? My brother-in-law is still using my old "Snapper" I gave him in 2007 on a PAYG account. If that phone were to die today, it wouldn't owe him a thing.

    He barely uses 30-40 minutes a month (at 10˘/minute), so even the $20/month payLo plan will cost him significantly more than the $6.67/month he pays now.

    If he can't upgrade, I'll probably send him to GoPhone. Their cheapest plan is 10˘/minute, and $25 required every 90 days. Better coverage than VM, for an extra 1.67/month.

    I know there are better MVNO choices for cheap phone service (like PagePlus), but they would be too complicated for him to handle. One of the nice things about VM and GoPhone is the ease of top-up, and the ubiquity of top-up cards. GoPhone would keep it simple for him.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    96
    Device(s)
    Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | MS Lumia 640 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Among the non-obscure Sprint MVNOs, I found that Ecomobile provides PAYG talk (5˘ ea) & SMS (2˘ each) service: www.ecomobile.com/plans/PAYGO. However all their refill expirations are only 30 days (with balance "recycle" after refills before expiration).

    Although VMUSA payLo PAYG was discontinued, it leaves Boost (the other Sprint prepaid division) still offering PAYGO as low as $10 for 90 days expiration. But Talk & SMS is much pricier (20˘ each for either). But they do have interesting options for Pay By the Day options, such as 50˘/day for "unlimited web". I'm guessing that the latter means browser use only... anyone care to clarify?

    It sounds like last-gen PlatinumTel would have been ideal for the OP, but alas...

    Another option for low usage but long expiry is prepaid T-Mobile with Gold Rewards. It's been recommended plenty of times elsewhere in HowardForums. If one has good native T-Mobile coverage, one pay in advance to keep a line alive for $100 + $10 for 24 months with ultra low usage. YMMV...

    Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

    Device Reverse Chronology: LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On an Island...
    Posts
    5,871
    Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileFonPhile View Post
    Among the non-obscure Sprint MVNOs, I found that Ecomobile provides PAYG talk (5˘ ea) & SMS (2˘ each) service: www.ecomobile.com/plans/PAYGO. However all their refill expirations are only 30 days (with balance "recycle" after refills before expiration).

    Although VMUSA payLo PAYG was discontinued, it leaves Boost (the other Sprint prepaid division) still offering PAYGO as low as $10 for 90 days expiration. But Talk & SMS is much pricier (20˘ each for either). But they do have interesting options for Pay By the Day options, such as 50˘/day for "unlimited web". I'm guessing that the latter means browser use only... anyone care to clarify?

    It sounds like last-gen PlatinumTel would have been ideal for the OP, but alas...

    Another option for low usage but long expiry is prepaid T-Mobile with Gold Rewards. It's been recommended plenty of times elsewhere in HowardForums. If one has good native T-Mobile coverage, one pay in advance to keep a line alive for $100 + $10 for 24 months with ultra low usage. YMMV...

    Sent from my Android device using HowardForums. Glad to be contract-free since 2010...
    That is one of the best non-Sprint prepaid PAYGO options, as long as the T-Mobile coverage is available, which it is in most markets.
    Air Voice and GoPhone are also good for low use subs.

    Boost Mobile also has a good minimum ReBoost but the $0.20cpm is higher than other PAYGO options.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri and fla
    Posts
    1,890
    Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    0
    For super cheap service. People are forgetting a couple of the international sim options like trusim and pirhana mobile. Lyca mobile us also has cheap rates. These accounts can generally be kept active for 10-20 bucks for a couple of years if you make a call every 90 or so days. Trusim used att and Tmo towers and piranha mostly uses Tmo but can be set up for att which is more money per minute. And lyca which uses Tmo. Is only 2 cents for voice.


    Sent with the HoFo App
    trying to come up with better signature.......

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On an Island...
    Posts
    5,871
    Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (Sprint PrePaid: Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.1.33553/30.3442; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

    Now that PayLo is a Monthly Service option, What would make a good low cost plan for them to add????

    $10/month option:
    250 Minutes + 250 Texts

    $15/month option:
    500 Minutes + 500 Texts

    Something Assures me that such Wireless monthly service options could work well on PayLo...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    471
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galazy S2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well...so long VM. I've been with you since startup but now it's time to part ways. I really liked the per minute charge and the 90 days topup. But you've decided to have a new business plan and monthly non-contracts. Good luck to you........Greg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On an Island...
    Posts
    5,871
    Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GregMal View Post
    Well...so long VM. I've been with you since startup but now it's time to part ways. I really liked the per minute charge and the 90 days topup. But you've decided to have a new business plan and monthly non-contracts. Good luck to you........Greg
    Which PAYGO Option are you considering?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    471
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galazy S2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    0
    None. I went with a Sprint contract..................

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    missouri and fla
    Posts
    1,890
    Device(s)
    att , nokia 1100, moto 376g
    Carrier(s)
    att, trac, pageplus
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's exactly what they wanted you to do, go from 8 dollars a month to 70.

    You should be able to roam on vzw when there is no sprint service. Which you can't on virgin.


    Sent with the HoFo App

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    On an Island...
    Posts
    5,871
    Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wirelessly posted (Sprint PrePaid: Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.1.33553/30.3498; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

    Quote Originally Posted by pattyrn
    That's exactly what they wanted you to do, go from 8 dollars a month to 70.

    You should be able to roam on vzw when there is no sprint service. Which you can't on virgin.


    Sent with the HoFo App
    The move to postpaid makes sense for smartphone use with Sprint, but VZW has a good prepaid paygo service option for low use subs that need more coverage @ $0.25cpm than what is available with VM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,079
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Kinda late to finding this out. Been rolling along just doing auto top up until I ordered a new phone this week via link with TopCashBack and went to swap phones and found out I have to upgrade to a monthly plan when I tried to swap phones. No loss as will get more back in cash than I paid for the phone but still. Gee VM when were you going to tell me this. IF they did I missed that information. Time to move on to T-mobile as they have better coverage where I live. Can still transfer the remaining balances to wife's phone who is on a monthly plan with VM so no loss of the existing balances.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,079
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    One more change I found out about today. You can no longer transfer balances between accounts w/o canceling the account the money is being moved from. Too good to last. So, bye bye VM for my account. Still have BT account and an PayLo account for other members of the family. No loss as T-Mobile still has per minute plans and reception is better here for T-Mobile. Nice while it lasted.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    762
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mathfaster View Post
    One more change I found out about today. You can no longer transfer balances between accounts w/o canceling the account the money is being moved from. Too good to last. So, bye bye VM for my account. Still have BT account and an PayLo account for other members of the family. No loss as T-Mobile still has per minute plans and reception is better here for T-Mobile. Nice while it lasted.
    Just this morning I called to transfer balances between two accounts. I was told that usually that means they will cancel the account the balance is transferred from, but they would keep mine open. It's funny how arbitrary some of their "rules" can be.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,079
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    Just this morning I called to transfer balances between two accounts. I was told that usually that means they will cancel the account the balance is transferred from, but they would keep mine open. It's funny how arbitrary some of their "rules" can be.
    Oh well. I was going to T-Mobile anyway. Actually, I have to say that the customer service on this was really good. I lost the phone call for whatever reason and the supervisor taking the info actually called me back and said it would take an hour to take effect. Actually, it took more like 2-3 hours but no biggie. She was very sure I was aware that moving the balance or even a partial balance would cause the line the balance was being moved from would be canceled. Repeated that more than once in the flow of the conversation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PayLo Basic Accounts Are Now Being Charged E911 As An Additional Fee
    By Virgin man in forum Virgin Mobile USA PayLo
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM
  2. requested basic web now what?
    By DipInTraffic in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-29-2003, 11:06 PM
  3. How to use Yahoo Messenger with NOL Basic Service
    By Third in forum General Nextel Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2002, 10:43 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2002, 11:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks