Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Review of UK Mobile (prepaid) services for visitors / students

Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Fido/T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    So no matter how I get money in the account I can still sign up for the one month 10Gb £15 plan?
    I think that's the case. However, it may be an idea to contact the provider to verify that.
    SEMPER IN MERDA SVM. SOLVM PROFVNDVM QVOD VARIAT.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think that's the case. It may be an idea to go contact the provider to verify that.
    I was thinking of going ahead and doing that, because I have no idea what else to do because 1pence/mb rounded to American currency would still be astronomical.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think that's the case. However, it may be an idea to contact the provider to verify that.
    I have worked at three store, so my words can be taken as assurance. You need UK credit card/debit card for credit check and bank account and sort code to setup direct debit, after your first bill or 14 days after activation, change bill payment to cash instead of direct debit. I used to always pay by my UK credit card.

UK is very strict in regards to data protection laws. We have to handle the id etc very cautiously as doing any mistakes can effect credit history. In regards to contract, let me summarise again. There is no way to get a contract, not even 1 month rolling contract regardless of voice or data plan, credit check is required which is only UK issued debit/credit card. So it would be waste of time asking same question again and again.

So if you're ineligible to apply for UK debit/credit card, ask someone who knows you well to get you this contract in their name and put a spend limit, i.e you don't exceed your allowance and you pay cash to them every month or pay lump sum for the duration you want and let them know 1 month in advance, so they can give 30 days notice to cancel the line as it is required to close a monthly contract account. I hope this helps.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Fido/T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan.cma View Post
    I have worked at three store, so my words can be taken as assurance. You need UK credit card/debit card for credit check and bank account and sort code to setup direct debit, after your first bill or 14 days after activation, change bill payment to cash instead of direct debit. I used to always pay by my UK credit card.

UK is very strict in regards to data protection laws. We have to handle the id etc very cautiously as doing any mistakes can effect credit history. In regards to contract, let me summarise again. There is no way to get a contract, not even 1 month rolling contract regardless of voice or data plan, credit check is required which is only UK issued debit/credit card. So it would be waste of time asking same question again and again.

So if you're ineligible to apply for UK debit/credit card, ask someone who knows you well to get you this contract in their name and put a spend limit, i.e you don't exceed your allowance and you pay cash to them every month or pay lump sum for the duration you want and let them know 1 month in advance, so they can give 30 days notice to cancel the line as it is required to close a monthly contract account. I hope this helps.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Oops! Confused the contract setup with some of the "add-ons" available with prepaid. You're probably familiar with them- Pay £10 for the basic service, add an extra £5 and get a bunch of extra minutes & texts, usually valid for 30 days. I looked at the possibility of going that route for wife & self but decided that we didn't need it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Oops! Confused the contract setup with some of the "add-ons" available with prepaid. You're probably familiar with them- Pay £10 for the basic service, add an extra £5 and get a bunch of extra minutes & texts, usually valid for 30 days. I looked at the possibility of going that route for wife & self but decided that we didn't need it.
    Yes there are many bolt-ons and add-ons. Many networks there do that. Like either you recharge certain amount of money this month, next month you will get free ultd texts or some amount of data and free voice minutes on top of your balance. Some offer bolt-ons which is recharge £10 and buy 300 mins, 300 texts and 300MB data for it valid for 30 days. So this route seems to be better for those who can't get UK bank debit/credit card. The best one is either giffgaff bundle for £12/15 with ultd data plan and then prepaid 3 network for the same amount.

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Would any of these sims face the requirement of needing a UK credit card? It dawned on me after I bought something off of amazon UK last night, I could just get sims off of there that are already pre provisioned. On some it looks like all you need to do is connect to the network and then it activates the sim, while others you just have to set up an account before it will allow usage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Preloa...ords=three+sim

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EE-Combi-val...eywords=ee+sim

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Preloa...three+nano+sim

Feedback Score
    No pre-paid sims need a UK credit card, at least when purchasing from Amazon UK. If you want to top off you can use a voucher purchased at a local top-off vendor (or three store), where you can use a non-UK credit/debit card or cash.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keason View Post
    No pre-paid sims need a UK credit card, at least when purchasing from Amazon UK. If you want to top off you can use a voucher purchased at a local top-off vendor (or three store), where you can use a non-UK credit/debit card or cash.
    Awesome I have finally found a solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Awesome I have finally found a solution.

You found a solution after the same thing was said thrice, lol. I'm glad finally you have found a solution

Sent with the HoFo App

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by farhan.cma View Post
    You found a solution after the same thing was said thrice, lol. I'm glad finally you have found a solution

Sent with the HoFo App
    Is there a fault in this I have over looked? Cell phone companies in the USA use different terminology and are somewhat straight forward, also I don't believe we have the whole credit card restriction on prepaid plans.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is there a fault in this I have over looked? Cell phone companies in the USA use different terminology and are somewhat straight forward, also I don't believe we have the whole credit card restriction on prepaid plans.

No not all. I myself was very careful when I took over AT&T ultd data line. Yeah here SSN works for billing and credit check, in UK it's NI number, DOB, bank account etc for credit check. They are basically required to verify identity and considered as permission to perform credit check by the lender (network). For prepaid no credit card is required, it's same as USA, rather all sims are pre-activated unlike in USA, where one has to activate them.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carrier(s)
    Giff Gaff- UK
    Feedback Score
    If you have any questions regarding UK mobile operators just ask, i can try and answer them as best as i can.

In my opinion the best operator to go for if visiting the UK is probably Giff Gaff. Its the cheapest one i have found that suits my needs in the UK with its Goodybags or Gigabags dependent on what you are using the SIM for. If your a student and want to stay in touch with other friends in the UK, (providing they are on Giff Gaff also) if you top up and purchase the £5 goodybag you will be able to call other Giff Gaff phones free for a period of 90 days. You can use O2 top ups that can be purchased from virtually all supermarkets and most mobile phone retailers.

Virgin Mobile if used with basic tariffs is just expensive has very flaky customer service. The only good thing about Virgin mobile is that if you are intending to stay in the UK for 9 months plus and you decide to have Virgin Media Cable, Broadband and phone (landline)services then calls to Virgin Mobile UK phones are free. VM do a 9 month contract for students requiring their cable, phone and broadband services. Virgin Mobile uses T- Mobile as a main carrier although due to agreements with Orange you can also roam between each networks repeater cells. Both networks now come under the EE name.

Vodafone has excellent coverage but top ups only last 30 days. O2 also has excellent coverage, both providers sims need registering before use, this is also the same for Orange.

Please be aware that EE (Orange/T-Mobile) are having issues in and around London with normal voice calls and 3G data services due to issues with the 4G roll out. Bare this in mind if you intend to use EE in that area in the next few weeks

Virgin Mobile and T- mobile sims already have the phone number allocated to them so you don't need to register the SIM card to use it.

If you are intending to be based in the UK but will need to travel to other destinations outside of the European union then i would recommend a Sainsburys Mobile SIM as its one of the cheapest operators for Roaming outside of the Europe Union. It uses Vodafone as its main carrier.

I know US law prevents unlocking of mobile phones purchased after Jan 2013 unless done by the carrier. Most back street mobile phone shops in the UK will probably still unlock these phones if asked for usually no more than £10 GBP regardless of age or where it was purchased.

I can help if you need a particular SIM card from the UK which are usually free to a UK address from the providers if requested. As long as you cover the actual cost of the postage I don't mind helping out. I'm not here to make money, just to try and help out if i can. I hope one day somebody will return the favor.

Nano
    Last edited by Nanobox; 12-06-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Review of UK Mobile (prepaid) services for visitors / students

Quote Originally Posted by Nanobox View Post

Vodafone has excellent coverage but top ups only last 30 days. O2 also has excellent coverage, both providers sims need registering before use, this is also the same for Orange.

Please be aware that EE (Orange/T-Mobile) are having issues in and around London with normal voice calls and 3G data services due to issues with the 4G roll out. Bare this in mind if you intend to use EE in that area in the next few weeks

Virgin Mobile and T- mobile sims already have the phone number allocated to them so you don't need to register the SIM card to use it.

Nano
    O2 and Vodafone both have relatively limited 3G foot prints don't they? From looking at the map in the areas I'm going to be it looks like basically until I get into England I'm going to have a lot of 2G on O2, and I was reading that Vodafone failed to meet the 3G coverage requirement. Who would you say has the biggest 3G network in the UK?

I plan on using EE on my iPad because of the amount of data for the money and also their larger LTE footprint, I will be in London in March do you think the data problems will get solved by then, or is it a permeant grid lock because of typical congestion?

What about three? I ordered a sim from prepaid mania and it list a number on it and it also came loaded with 99p.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I will recommend you either Orange or T-Mobile as you can roam on either network as both belong to EE. For best ultd data n great goodybags I'll still recommend Giffgaff.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used to work for three. Few years back they weren't as good like others but now they are competitive and network has improved a lot since late 2011, early 2012. But giffgaff is the best in terms of package s offered. To be honest, coverage maps don't display accurate detail. So better try it yourself with trial sim. Meaning no hefty amount of recharges until fully satisfied.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast