Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Review of UK Mobile (prepaid) services for visitors / students

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soriak View Post
    I'm going to be in London for a week next month and I was wondering if there are any carriers that offer tethering with a pre-paid plan -- ideally with 4G/LTE. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable surcharge for that option.

I haven't been able to find much on it on the pay as you go pages, but what I have read suggests it's available only on the monthly plans. I don't have a UK debit/credit card, so these do not seem like readily available options.
    I believe 3 UK allows tethering though I didn't have a need for it. Also you need a compatible phone, I have the US iPhone 5 so I was unable to get LTE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Device(s)
    RAZR V3
    Carrier(s)
    Orange CH
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrodpd View Post
    I believe 3 UK allows tethering though I didn't have a need for it. Also you need a compatible phone, I have the US iPhone 5 so I was unable to get LTE.
    Good call on compatibility. I have the US Nexus 5, which may or may not work on 3 or Giffgaff (another provider I saw that explicitly allows tethering on its limited data plans -- and 10 pounds for 1GB seems hard to beat).

I guess I'll risk it: there's probably nothing I can do about my phone not supporting 4G in the UK, whereas tethering even at 3G is still worthwhile. I only plan on browsing the web and getting emails, but I had hoped to also make some Skype calls. Will see how that goes...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 64GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Review of UK Mobile (prepaid) services for visitors / students

Good call on compatibility. I have the US Nexus 5, which may or may not work on 3 or Giffgaff (another provider I saw that explicitly allows tethering on its limited data plans -- and 10 pounds for 1GB seems hard to beat).

I guess I'll risk it: there's probably nothing I can do about my phone not supporting 4G in the UK, whereas tethering even at 3G is still worthwhile. I only plan on browsing the web and getting emails, but I had hoped to also make some Skype calls. Will see how that goes...
    As long as it has 1800 for LTE it will work on three. I believe giffgaff which uses O2 uses 800 for LTE. Phones like the iPhone 5S will work, so the nexus 5 may be able to work at a minimum on three if it does indeed have 1800 LTE on board.

Also 3G in the UK from my experience is rather good, I was out in a small town in Wales and I was pulling down 15mbps with a low ping time. The only time I did notice an issue was going down the motorway and in between cells the phone had a minute of nothing, the data would stop working because the signal was to weak. Though if you are stationary this will not be a problem. All in all though I had no problem using FaceTime audio/video to talk to my parents.

For the SIM card, I bought mine of eBay pre loaded, it came with 300mins 3000text and unlimited data for £15, I also bought another £10 voucher on the internet because I was calling and texting my uncle in Belgium.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to be in London for a week next month and I was wondering if there are any carriers that offer tethering with a pre-paid plan -- ideally with 4G/LTE. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable surcharge for that option.

I haven't been able to find much on it on the pay as you go pages, but what I have read suggests it's available only on the monthly plans. I don't have a UK debit/credit card, so these do not seem like readily available options.
    I can confirm through recent experience that Three does not allow tethering on their PAYG plans, and that Tesco (an MVNO on O2) does allow tethering on their PAYG plans.

Tesco is a supermarket chain, several of those chains have their own MVNOs. You should be able to find one in London, although the smaller ones only carry Tesco SIMS (the larger Tescos carry 'mainstream' SIMs also, but presumably not other supermarkets' SIMs).

If there is a chance you will return to the UK in the future and will want to keep the original number (and any remaining balance), Tesco lets you keep your number (and balance) forever (for sure more than a year), while most other providers (including Three) require you to top up (which is impossible when out of the UK unless you have a UK-based credit/debit card), or make a call/send a text from the line every 180 days to keep the account alive.

It sounds like I'm tooting Tesco's horn, but disregarding tethering I actually chose Three for my daughter's 6-month stay, and haven't regretted it.

If you want the SIM (and want to know the number) before you travel, then you'd need to take your chances on fleaBay.

Mike

Feedback Score
    it is pretty easy to unlock your phone, when you visit london, pop down to any unlocking shop, they will unlock for you instantly..

Feedback Score
    yes if your phone is unblock and unlocked then you can use in iphone 5 without any problem.. I hope this helped..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GMul View Post
    Could someone please critique my approach to obtaining service in the UK:

Order a GiffGaff SIM form eBay (Done).
    Order a GiggGaff top up voucher from from www.phonepal.co.uk (They accept PayPal).
    Receive the top up voucher code via email.
    Then I will go giffgaff.com and select "Activate a SIM".
    Enter the six digit SIM code.
    Enter the top up voucher code.
    Order a goody bag with the account balance.
    Wait for activation.
    Then I should be ready to use the iPhone with no further actions.

Will the above work?

Thanks, Gary
    I never heard about that website, i always use this site http://www.myphonecard.co.uk to top up my mobile phones

Feedback Score
    This may be the wrong place to ask this question, so please feel free to re-direct me if so. And I apologize.

I'm trying to "invest" in a hotspot for a couple of planned trips over the next year. We will be going to Ireland this summer, Thailand in the winter, and Italy next summer. We would like to carry our hotspot with us everywhere and purchase pre-loaded sims (pay as you go) in each country. I'm trying to determine what unit I can/should buy that will universally work pretty much anywhere. Is there such a thing or should we just rent??

I've asked questions in a number of different places, first one in HoFo though, and the answers seem to get me more confused rather than helping. It will work with O2 but not Vodaphone, or vice versa. It will work on both but only 2G with one of them. It will only work with AT&T if you want to activate it when you get home. Only T-Mobile. None of them will work in Thailand. UGH!!!

I know there's many different "bands" now, but I also thought there is multiple-band equipment to accommodate them. But there always seems to be a BUT. Is there a hotspot without a but??

Internet and data is the most important to us, and best speeds whenever possible. We'll probably buy cheap "disposable" phones for the occasional call we'll need to make while there. (Both of our US phones are carrier locked for awhile). Also, the ability to pre-purchase the data sims would be nice but it seems that can be complicated too. We'll probably just purchase when we arrive or make arrangements to have it waiting for us at the hotel when we get there.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance provided!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm digging this up to add my 2 cents. My daughter is in London and got a SIM-only monthly plan with EE.

Unlimited texts (domestic and within most of the EU)
    Unlimited talk (domestic and within most of the EU)
    5GB data and 4G speed
    £24.99/month

She brought a Verizon iPhone 5s with her and since all Verizon iPhones come SIM-unlocked for GSM she only had to pop the EE SIM into the phone to be up and running. But here's the caveat: EE does not accept foreign credit/debit cards to pay the monthly tariff. She must either go into an EE Store to pay her bill in cash or get a local pre-paid debit card. EE really pushes you to set up automatic debit from a bank account, offering to waive billing fees that you would incur via credit card. Plus automatic debit is the only form of payment you can set up and save on the site.

We're less than a week into her service through EE but between the payment hassle and the fact that call reception between the UK/US has been spotty, I think maybe we would have gone with some other carrier if we were going to do it all again. It's early to make that call, and I don't have anything else against which to judge EE, but so far it's kind of underwhelming, except for the price/data allowance.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Oh, and it was also supposed to be impossible for a foreigner to get the SIM-only plan. They're supposed to run a credit check before approving you and they cannot do it for foreigners. She just walked into the local EE joint and they set her up. The EE folks haunting the EE Support Forums are all scratching their heads over that (and probably getting splinters).

Feedback Score
    Yes, many countries try to enforce their surveillance "anti-terror" capabilities by requiring comms services to tie to real-life ID.

But I have yet to have any problem whatsoever getting a local to front for me, even a random fellow shopper at the local 7-11.

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Travelling to UK I bought a data-only sim card MTXConnect for my iPad. It was easy to order before my trip – just filled the form at their website and got it by post. And for sure I didn't use internet all days long so it was really cheap 0.10 euro per 1 MB or when I needed more internet I just paid for one day, it was about 9 euro per day with unlimited traffic, pretty cool. One more thing about this sim card – it has most of the european countries in a coverage zone and doesn't expire, so I also used it after my visit to London in other countries.

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Travelling to UK I bought a data-only sim card MTXConnect for my iPad. It was easy to order before my trip – just filled the form at their website and got it by post. And for sure I didn't use internet all days long so it was really cheap 0.10 euro per 1 MB or when I needed more internet I just paid for one day, it was about 9 euro per day with unlimited traffic, pretty cool. It works not only in UK, but in most of European countries, doesn't expire. You order a free sim online and have it shipped, and no need in UK credit card to top up, just any card you have.

Device(s)
    Apple 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thought I'd post an update on 3 UK. Just got back from 10 day trip with my brother. Prior to leaving, purchased two SIMs with 25GBP each on them. Purchased off eBay from user tango1268. Prior to departure, set up accounts online and activated the 15GBP add on for each SIM which gives unlimited data, 300 minutes calls, and 3000 texts good for 30 days. We bought the SIMS so we'd have data - not too concerned with calling or texts in UK but was convenient to call/text one another if separated. Also good to have calls for the car hire to contact me.

Swapped SIMs on plane and both came up on three when we switched them on when we got off plane.

Data worked without a problem. I have iPhone 6 and brother has iPhone 5, both unlocked. 3G most locations but 3 is in process of upgrading to 4G which I had in London most places. Always had connectivity. We took three separate bus trips to various places outside London.

In in addition to data, I made two calls to our Mom to check on her while we were gone. Calls to US were 3p per minute. Required use of code before number for that rate but just entered in phone book as an extra number for Mom and worked great.

Only thing else I'd add is to tell you to get an external battery if you don't already have one. ensured we never had a problem with keeping up and running, posting updates, etc. online.

P.S. Only disadvantage of this plan is no tethering but we knew that in advance and had free wifi at hotel for iPads.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus 64GB, Microsoft Surface 3 LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for this thread. Going on a trip to UK in a few months and think I've decided to unlock my tablet and grab a 3 SIM from Amazon to test it out. What do I need to do to make sure the carrier filtering is disabled to make sue I'm not blocked from accessing services like VPN?

Thanks!
    --Kidd

EDIT: I believe this is called "Content Lock". Read about it on another site.
    Last edited by AlexKidd1977; 05-13-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast