Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: AWS LTE deployment, and Verizon sites with Remote Radio Units

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Nexus 5, Note 3, GS4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ya this is a live Verizon Wireless site at 42nd & 6th Ave, covering Bryant Park in NYC. This is the very first time I saw and attached to Verizon's Band 4 LTE network. It's an existing site with existing ALU panels, it's hard to see the site, but it was a roof top.

Now considering that I was at the T-Mobile event with a few thousand others, these speeds are pretty solid imho:

What's also interesting is that I discovered the site by scanning on my T-Mobile GS4, saw Verizon listed and read the ServiceMode info. Then tried Verizon SIM in that T-Mo device forcing Band 4 "LTE Only" mode but could never attach to it. Finally popped a Verizon SIM into my Verizon iPhone 5S, and surely attached.

Also after making a phone call I noticed that it's kind of a lottery as I was reconnected at Band 13 which is super loaded with speeds at 1Mbps... Quickly made another voice call and after hanging up was back at Band 4. As soon as I left the location I was back at Band 13. Definitely not wide spread.

But it's charming that Verizon decided to "show up" at the T-Mobile Uncarrier 3.0 event
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Ya this is a live Verizon Wireless site at 42nd & 6th Ave, covering Bryant Park in NYC. This is the very first time I saw and attached to Verizon's Band 4 LTE network. It's an existing site with existing ALU panels, it's hard to see the site, but it was a roof top.

Now considering that I was at the T-Mobile event with a few thousand others, these speeds are pretty solid imho:

What's also interesting is that I discovered the site by scanning on my T-Mobile GS4, saw Verizon listed and read the ServiceMode info. Then tried Verizon SIM in that T-Mo device forcing Band 4 "LTE Only" mode but could never attach to it. Finally popped a Verizon SIM into my Verizon iPhone 5S, and surely attached.

Also after making a phone call I noticed that it's kind of a lottery as I was reconnected at Band 13 which is super loaded with speeds at 1Mbps... Quickly made another voice call and after hanging up was back at Band 4. As soon as I left the location I was back at Band 13. Definitely not wide spread.

But it's charming that Verizon decided to "show up" at the T-Mobile Uncarrier 3.0 event
    Wow. This is awesome news!! I wonder when VZ will make an official announcement on their AWS launches. If you're seeing that, I'd guess it can't be too far away.
    Rejection is not failure.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TWX View Post
    Wow. This is awesome news!! I wonder when VZ will make an official announcement on their AWS launches. If you're seeing that, I'd guess it can't be too far away.
    Yeah, their goal was H2 2013, so it should be anytime. But I'm wondering if it's gonna be dense in those markets, or mostly hot spots.

Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Sweet. Regarding the solid speeds, do you mean that a lot of other T-Mobile users were also able to connect to Band 4?

Phone
    Nexus 5, LG G2, S4T
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, their goal was H2 2013, so it should be anytime. But I'm wondering if it's gonna be dense in those markets, or mostly hot spots.
    Mostly urban hotspots is what I'm seeing with their permit application patterns. They seem to be targeting downtown areas, shopping malls, or high capacity areas (schools, arenas, etc). Haven't found a single rural or suburban application yet.
    Sprint 2.5ghz TD-LTE

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Sweet. Regarding the solid speeds, do you mean that a lot of other T-Mobile users were also able to connect to Band 4?
    No. T-Mobile has their own AWS licenses they're broadcasting LTE at. D+E which is 10Mhz FDD LTE at that location.
    Verizon has A+B AWS licenses in NYC enough for 20Mhz FDD LTE.
    I just happened to be a T-Mo and VZW sub, and have two capable phones at the right time. And clearly being a nerd, manually scanning for LTE networks...

T-Mo users can't connect to Verizon's LTE with T-Mobile SIM. They are able to "see" all other AWS LTE networks that are broadcasting, but can't connect. I was saying that at the event there were several thousand users, and probably many of them on Verizon. Most of them don't have Verizon's AWS capable devices, but some of them that did have a Verizon branded AWS capable device were sharing that sector with me.
    Last edited by milan03; 10-09-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If anyone is interested, here is the short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZ1aNIdLig

Phone
    iPhone 5C
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Very nice. Thanks for your work!
    iPhone 5C:
    Verizon unlimited Data / unlimited hotspot / 300 minute plan

iPad Air:
    T-Mobile free data

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just to add Band 4 is live around 57th street, Times Square etc. So far it looks like DAS deployment in busy areas. Will look into this a bit more.

Phones
    Apple iOS products
    Apple iPhone 5S (Verizon)
    Apple iPhone 5 (T-Mobile)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I live in New Orleans and I believe Verizon has been doing tower work, as I've seen noticeable service improvements (via "more bars" and faster service). I'll try to take some pictures of cell sites that I believe have been upgraded, including what looks to me like RRHs, though I'm not sure if they're Verizon sites, nor am I sure if they're using AWS or just upgrading the B13 network.

Question -- I have a Verizon iPhone 5S and a Verizon iPhone 5 with an active T-Mobile SIM in it. Is there anyway (without jailbreaking the device) to see if Verizon has B4 LTE turned on, or in testing, down here?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ericsmcdonald View Post
    I live in New Orleans and I believe Verizon has been doing tower work, as I've seen noticeable service improvements (via "more bars" and faster service). I'll try to take some pictures of cell sites that I believe have been upgraded, including what looks to me like RRHs, though I'm not sure if they're Verizon sites, nor am I sure if they're using AWS or just upgrading the B13 network.

Question -- I have a Verizon iPhone 5S and a Verizon iPhone 5 with an active T-Mobile SIM in it. Is there anyway (without jailbreaking the device) to see if Verizon has B4 LTE turned on, or in testing, down here?
    Unfortunately no for Verizon iPhones you have because you cannot tell the differnce between band 4 and 13 on the 5S and 5 has no support. If you have access, you can go to settings > carrier > and turn off automatic to see B4 on the AT&T iPhone 5 like I do. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381424398.409286.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  21.8 KB

Phone
    Galaxy S3, various demo units, Nexus 7 (2013)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Awesome! By the way, how do you get to that servicemode menu?

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    Unfortunately no for Verizon iPhones you have because you cannot tell the differnce between band 4 and 13 on the 5S and 5 has no support. If you have access, you can go to settings > carrier > and turn off automatic to see B4 on the AT&T iPhone 5 like I do. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381424398.409286.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  21.8 KB
    The chances are that you'd be able to attach to Verizon's B4 in your area if you had a Verizon "certified" device and Verizon SIM. I couldn't attach with Verizon's SIM on my T-Mo GS4 at all, but as soon as that SIM went into Verizon's registered iPhone 5S, it was a automatic. Looks like MEID/IMEI still matters on CDMA/LTE operators.

Phone
    Apple iPhone
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CPGustafson511 View Post
    Awesome! By the way, how do you get to that servicemode menu?
    Try dialing *3001#12345#* on your Verizon iPhone to get into "field test" mode.

Phones
    Motorola Moto X
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid X
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by limegrass69 View Post
    Try dialing *3001#12345#* on your Verizon iPhone to get into "field test" mode.
    Does anyone happen to know how to get into field test mode on the Moto X?

Sent from my XT1060 using HoFo mobile app

Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast