Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Lumia 520 APN problems on Straight Talk

Carriers
    T-Mobie
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure the gophone plan would actually be ideal as it's additional $15 per month, extra $180 per year.

Sent with the HoFo App

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcess View Post
    Finally I got Straight Talk data Sunday morning using the APN of tfdata which I had used previously to no avail. What had changed I have no idea as I was "again" given these settings on Saturday 13th July and received data when I got to a good signal area on Sunday the 14th in the morning.

I still have no MMS ! The Nokia 520 requires an APN for the MMS service. I put in tfmms as this name but it failed to work along with the settings I was given below, I quote

"The age of the SIM card doesn't matter. Please try to update your phone's APN settings by following the steps below.
    Field Name

Settings

APN Name:

Straight Talk

APN:

tfdata

MMSC:

http://mms-tf.net

MMS Proxy:

mms3.tracfone.com

MMS Port:

Hope this helps.

(name left out)

Straight Talk Wireless"

You need to be aware of Straight Talks limitations when it comes to providing support and again I quote from Straight Talks Resolution Team.

"Regarding your concern, we do not guarantee that all applications or features will work on your phone. Since our program called Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) only adopted the "business phone model" method, thus, we cannot provide support for the phone itself. Updating the APN (Access Point Name) settings is not a guarantee that the MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) will work. It is dependent upon the phone model's limitations. For me to provide you the APN settings that are compatible with your phone, please provide the exact make and model of your device.

I'll wait for your response.

Thanks!

(name left out)
    Straight Talk Wireless"

So there you have it some sort of resolution to a very trying experience of what should have been a very "STRAIGHT" forward matter. This only took some 10 days to resolve and then only half a resolution. I guess you get what you pay for and in this case I do wonder as to what if any configurations were made on the server end in order for me to obtain data with settings I had previously and studiously entered ?
    If tfdata works as the data APN it should also work as the MMS APN.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for your input,
    I did indeed put tfdata as the MMS APN , however it didn't work. I am in contact with Straight Talks resolution team concerning this and have sent them a snapshop of all my APN settings as they now stand.

The data I am getting though is only Edge despite being in a good AT&T area so although I am happy to have data Edge 2G data just is not playing the game. I feel I am being shorted with the data speed an indeed wonder how many users out there are also in the very slow lane when it comes to data speeds !

As they quote yes unlimited data messaging MMS etc but at a speed that is really slow in today's world.

I will persevere with Straight Talk and see where it all ends as I don't give up and thankfully it would appear that a certain lady on the Straight Talk resolution team perseveres just as much.

We shall seeand I intend to keep you all posted on developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    If tfdata works as the data APN it should also work as the MMS APN.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post
    I'm not sure the gophone plan would actually be ideal as it's additional $15 per month, extra $180 per year.

Sent with the HoFo App
    Indeed and my goodness do they (AT&T, Verizon know how to squeeze a dollar. Give the public what it deserves a good service at a reasonable price !!!

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I did indeed put tfdata as the MMS APN , however it didn't work. I am in contact with Straight Talks resolution team concerning this and have sent them a snapshop of all my APN settings as they now stand.

The data I am getting though is only Edge despite being in a good AT&T area so although I am happy to have data Edge 2G data just is not playing the game. I feel I am being shorted with the data speed an indeed wonder how many users out there are also in the very slow lane when it comes to data speeds !

As they quote yes unlimited data messaging MMS etc but at a speed that is really slow in today's world.

I will persevere with Straight Talk and see where it all ends as I don't give up and thankfully it would appear that a certain lady on the Straight Talk resolution team perseveres just as much.

a question for you.did the st team prommise in writing any data speeds.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If your still only getting EDGE service you might want to try a hard reset. I also had a similar issue with only being able to connect at EDGE and the hard reset turned the other bands and 3G back on. You very possibly could have more of a phone problem and less of a Straight Talk issue.

I followed the steps found at this link;

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f784...e-8-a-1680093/

The reason I mention the link is that the process to correctly do a hard reset is a somewhat confusing multi-step effort. It took me 3 times for the reset to take.

I apologize for asking this question but are your sure that this is a Lumia 520 and not a 521? May I ask where did you get this phone and if it is used, do you know what cell network it was last used on successfully? Is it locked to a specific carrier by any chance?

If a hard reset does not solve the problem you could have a problem where your phone is not connecting correctly to the at&t bands either due to incompatibility or a defect in the phone.

Another option is to contact Nokia directly concerning this issue. I've jumped on their user boards and called their Tech Support line to solve a problem with a Lumia 900. They were very knowledgeable and walked me through a hidden diagnostic menu to reset part of the operating system. The Nokia Technician I talked with really knew his stuff and within 5 minutes had a dead phone working correctly.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    No they didn't promise any data speeds. Again they refer to the fact (and correctly) that this is to some extent dictated by the cellphone tower to which you are connected and can fluctuate.
    The point they did insist is that 2G, Edge, #G and 4G were all available on Straight Talk !.
    Well my old Lumia 900 I do believe I have at times received 4G service in Charlotte and 3G on the I 95 from Lumberton NC to Raleigh NC. So I do believe that is true for the old ST mvno settings. As to whether the same applies to the new tfdata settings I have yet to find out. So far in Lumberton NC I have only got edge data with those settings.

Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    a question for you.did the st team prommise in writing any data speeds.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Many thanks for that information. It is indeed a step I need to take and hopefully resolve some if not all of these issues.

It is only through the knowledgeable input of others that we are able to get the service we are paying for as the ST resolution team seems to have given up after I again told them I still didn't have any MMS despite them doing some behind the scenes configuration.

I am personally at this point in time tired of all the hassle involved with what should be a simple and painless process.

Yours gratefully !

Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    If your still only getting EDGE service you might want to try a hard reset. I also had a similar issue with only being able to connect at EDGE and the hard reset turned the other bands and 3G back on. You very possibly could have more of a phone problem and less of a Straight Talk issue.

I followed the steps found at this link;

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f784...e-8-a-1680093/

The reason I mention the link is that the process to correctly do a hard reset is a somewhat confusing multi-step effort. It took me 3 times for the reset to take.

I apologize for asking this question but are your sure that this is a Lumia 520 and not a 521? May I ask where did you get this phone and if it is used, do you know what cell network it was last used on successfully? Is it locked to a specific carrier by any chance?

If a hard reset does not solve the problem you could have a problem where your phone is not connecting correctly to the at&t bands either due to incompatibility or a defect in the phone.

Another option is to contact Nokia directly concerning this issue. I've jumped on their user boards and called their Tech Support line to solve a problem with a Lumia 900. They were very knowledgeable and walked me through a hidden diagnostic menu to reset part of the operating system. The Nokia Technician I talked with really knew his stuff and within 5 minutes had a dead phone working correctly.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It is now some 20 days and the lack of MMS situation still continues, despite ST resolution teams many requests to turn the cell phone off and on again. They have told me they have made some changes on their servers with regards to our Nkia 520 but at this time it has not resolved the lack of MMS issue.
    What I can say is the insertion of the Straight Talk sim card automatically puts the following at&t APN settings automatically into the cell phone.

They are as follows :- AT&T 3G AT&T - LTE 1 - Lumia AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia

I have as previously mentioned created my own ST APN and have that as the "active" APN .

As to whether these automatic "inserted" AT&T APN's are the problem in not being able to have the MMS service from Straight Talk I have no idea, though I feel it seems unlikely.

Just wanted to make users aware of this.

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgie View Post

Sent with the HoFo App
    If you buy discounted refills for gophone, you can get it down to $54/month (tax free.) Then again, if you buy 6-month ST refills, that can also lower the price for ST.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    It is now some 20 days and the lack of MMS situation still continues, despite ST resolution teams many requests to turn the cell phone off and on again. They have told me they have made some changes on their servers with regards to our Nkia 520 but at this time it has not resolved the lack of MMS issue.
    What I can say is the insertion of the Straight Talk sim card automatically puts the following at&t APN settings automatically into the cell phone.

They are as follows :- AT&T 3G AT&T - LTE 1 - Lumia AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia

I have as previously mentioned created my own ST APN and have that as the "active" APN .

As to whether these automatic "inserted" AT&T APN's are the problem in not being able to have the MMS service from Straight Talk I have no idea, though I feel it seems unlikely.

Just wanted to make users aware of this.
    on the byod program it is your responsability not st cs to get your phone working.st will give u some support.putting the blame on st is not going to get your mms working any faster.but i guess you have to blame someone on your shortcommings.

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    on the byod program it is your responsability not st cs to get your phone working.st will give u some support.putting the blame on st is not going to get your mms working any faster.but i guess you have to blame someone on your shortcommings.
    what confuses me is OP keep insisting to stay on track with ST. problem has existed for sometime without resolution. me? I would have left headache behind and gone to different provider. money save is not worth all the discomfort of knowing paying for something not working. like cooter55 have said before, if not satisfied with service being provided and need more CSR to address issue and not getting it. move on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Samsung SM-N900A 32GB on GoPhone LTE $45.00 Special
    Samsung SGH-I337 32GB on GoPhone LTE $45.00 Special

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    what confuses me is OP keep insisting to stay on track with ST. problem has existed for sometime without resolution. me? I would have left headache behind and gone to different provider. money save is not worth all the discomfort of knowing paying for something not working. like cooter55 have said before, if not satisfied with service being provided and need more CSR to address issue and not getting it. move on

time to jump on that gophone train.st is not gonna work with that model of phone.this is why i now recomend gophone to iphone users that must have mms.

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    time to jump on that gophone train.st is not gonna work with that model of phone.this is why i now recomend gophone to iphone users that must have mms.
    not only gophone is the option, there others out there vying for customer to gain. one thing to remember is to use network branded phone for the network its intended to prevent other issues. less tech knowhow required

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    not only gophone is the option, there others out there vying for customer to gain. one thing to remember is to use network branded phone for the network its intended to prevent other issues. less tech knowhow required

yeap ................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast