Thread: Exhibit II (SGH-T679) Shuts Down, but Battery Charged or Connected to Charger?

Feedback Score

Question Exhibit II (SGH-T679) Shuts Down, but Battery Charged or Connected to Charger?

I have an Exhibit II, which has been performing well for about a year now. Yesterday, I tried to make a phone call. I dialed the number, then pressed connect, and the phone shut-off. I re-started the phone and checked the battery life - 75%. Dialed a number, pressed connect, and the phone shut-off again! So this time, after rebooting, I connected the phone to the charger. Dialed the number, pressed connect, and the phone shut-off for a third time. After re-booting, I tried other programs -- Instant Messaging, WiFi, etc. They all seemed to work OK. I just can't make calls?!

Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    You have a software conflict some place. Did you recently install a new app.
    Or and update buggerd something. Happens from time to time.
    Sometimes the only way to fix these is to back up your phone and do a factory restore.
    While that can be a huge pain in the back side, it often times is the only way to correct the problem.
    Sometimes a new app or update makes changes to the OSs settings, even after uninstalling the app or update that caused the problem, a restore needs to be done to correct the file that was corrupted.

ST to IPhone http://goo.gl/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://goo.gl/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://goo.gl/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the reply.
    I haven't installed or intentionally updated anything in at least 6 months.
    Is there a procedure for doing a factory restore?

Feedback Score
    It depends on what Verizon of android your phone is running.
    Go to Settings>about phone> android Version
    Tell us what it says,
    ?
    Once we know that we can walk you through a restore.
    As for intentionally updating an app, android can and will update on its own at times.
    As different as android is from IOS it is not that different. Android still does what it wants, or what Google Wants.
    Part of the reason why I watch the new FireFox OS and Ubuntu OS .
    It breaks up the duopoly that is in place and forces the hand of Apple and Google.
    I hope it works.
    Back to your phone though, tell us what version of Android your phone is running and we can walk you through the reset.

Feedback Score
    v2.3.6

I assume that means I should back-up everything first, like My contacts?

Feedback Score
    If your phone is synced to your gmail acct they are already backed up BUT!!!!
    If you know how to back everything up to your SD card. You should. Remove the card from the phone before you restore it to be sure your backed up information is not accidentally erased.

Restore should be.

Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset

Once you hit FDR it will confirm you want to do it, select yes or what ever to proceed, the phone will shut down, then reboot, restore and you can renter your gmail acct.

Feedback Score
    AndroidFoneFan,
    Thank you so much for all your time and help.

I am writing back to give this thread closure, and possibly help someone else with a similar problem.
    I was nervous about doing the Factory Reset. I assume all my apps (including the ones I paid money for) would be gone. I have no idea if I can re-download them without paying again. I also was unsure if all my Texting "threads" would be lost. So like delaying a doctor's visit, I delayed the Reset.

But sometimes my mind works in subconscious mode. About a day later, I had the idea to turn-off the "Proximity Sensor", and see what happens. It worked!! I was able to make and receive calls. So I bought a new overlay (clear plastic screen protector), as my old one was beginning to peel on one edge. I cleaned the phone really well, and carefully applied the new overlay so no dust was captured underneath. I turned the proximity sensor back on, and the phone still works 100%. So there are two possibilities. Either the aging overlay was interfering with the proximity sensor, or toggling the setting off-and-on cured the problem. Unfortunately, I didn't re-enable the proximity sensor without applying the new overlay; I did both at the same time, so technically, I can't separate the two possibilities.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else some day. If the phone seems to shut-down when attempting to connect a phone call, first try toggling the proximity sensor setting. If that doesn't help, try cleaning the face of the phone and applying a new overlay (assuming you have one).

Feedback Score
    Great news, glad you were able to resolve the issue. And we learned possible fixes should we have the same problem, thanks for the update.