Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Use a tracfone SIM card in android phone?

Feedback Score

Use a tracfone SIM card in android phone?

Ok, so I know there are tons of places mentioning using tracfone SIMs in other phones and it not working.

Although, it seems like it should, because the SIM is loaded with minutes. So why doesn't it? I know it has something to do with the phone's internal timer, but is that really it? I'm not going to try because I have like 450 mins and 37 days left. I just don't want it wasted, but I want to know if there's any possible way to use a tracfone SIM card in my HTC Inspire 4G.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    no sir. period. sim locked to phone in that case.

you can use as little as $25 on gophone with a smartphone. there could be other companies and lower amounts. pay as you go minutes on a smartphone is very hard if not impossible to find on a gsm. zact has it on cdma

Feedback Score
    The minutes are not even on the sim. The minutes are in the handset memory. So the sim would be useless anyway. All it does is make the connection. And it works only with Tracfone handsets and only with the handset it was assigned to.

Feedback Score
    So, even if I did put my SIM card into my android, it wouldn't be able to text or call because it has no units to spend?

Also, would I have to buy a phone w/ SIM card and then put the SIM card in the android and activate it right away? Or would that not work because tracfone would block it cause of the phone type being identified in the imei?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlockOfDynamite View Post
    So, even if I did put my SIM card into my android, it wouldn't be able to text or call because it has no units to spend?

Also, would I have to buy a phone w/ SIM card and then put the SIM card in the android and activate it right away? Or would that not work because tracfone would block it cause of the phone type being identified in the imei?

the sim is tied to the phone. if you buy a phone and try to activiate the sim in a different phone it will not activiate.

Feedback Score
    So if I buy a phone from tracfone, the sim that comes with it can only be used with that phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BlockOfDynamite View Post
    So if I buy a phone from tracfone, the sim that comes with it can only be used with that phone?

yes, it can only be used with the phone it is sold with. if you want a sim to put in your phone why not give net10 or straight talk a try.
    both have the bring your own phone program.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone GSM phones always come with a sim. The sim serial number and the handset serial number are already tied together. There is an info card in the package with both serial numbers on it. It's a done deal. There is no mix and match with any other phones. It just gives a rejection message and you can't get past that first screen. The menu locks up.

The minutes are stored in the handset. The sim doesn't have airtime on it. It just tells the tower to use the Tracfone service arrangements. Regarding various permissions, etc.

A sim can be unlocked from its handset, but only CS can do that. This is necessary when changing phone numbers or changing to a different carrier. A new sim is needed for those. But the new sim becomes immediately locked again.

The brand new sim that they send you is unlocked until you use it for something. But that something has to involve a Tracfone handset. It is just plain incompatible with other brands. The sim is locked to Tracfone.

And definitely you cannot use a Tracfone sim in an Android phone. Tracfone wants only handsets that can't be hacked, since the minute bank would be toast. Therefore, you don't see Tracfone smartphones.

I am referring to the TF/Net10 pay-by-the-minute system, not the unlimited byod.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    you can use as little as $25 on gophone with a smartphone. there could be other companies and lower amounts. pay as you go minutes on a smartphone is very hard if not impossible to find on a gsm.
    AirVoice and plenty of others have BYO smartphones on pay as you go.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    With pay-as you-go, they are talking about plans in which you only pay if you use service and do not purchase a service plan with a fixed active term such as thirty days.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    With pay-as you-go, they are talking about plans in which you only pay if you use service and do not purchase a service plan with a fixed active term such as thirty days.
    efparri, who are you addressing this comment to?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Replies do not have to be addressed to a specific user. If it is germane to the topic, it can be entered anywhere.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    New, unused tracfone or Net10 sim cards are the same.
    The sims will not work without the Tracfone or Net10 firmware present on the phone.
    If a phone is powered on with the new sim card in it, the sim card is then locked to that phone.

Unless things have recently changed:

Tracfone GSM phones always come with a sim. The sim serial number and the handset serial number are already tied together. There is an info card in the package with both serial numbers on it. It's a done deal. There is no mix and match with any other phones. It just gives a rejection message and you can't get past that first screen. The menu locks up.

Although the sims may be pre-registered in the system to a phone's serial number, this mostly effects the phone, not the sim (as long as it is not powered up in the handset).

A sim can be unlocked from its handset, but only CS can do that. This is necessary when changing phone numbers or changing to a different carrier. A new sim is needed for those. But the new sim becomes immediately locked again

We know this can be done because At&t or T-Mobile do it. I have never had Tracfone CS do it (they deny that it can be done).

This is old and I haven't really played with Tracfone for several years so it may differ some, but the basics are still the same.
    http://thejmart.com/siminfo.htm
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Feedback Score
    Hi everyone,

I didn't know about this service. Is this company a "free SIM" supplier?

I thought when you buy a free SIM you can use it in any device, it seems that is not the case.

Thanks for the explanations.

Feedback Score
    There are now. . . . just bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Therefore, you don't see Tracfone smartphones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast