View Poll Results: What plan/carrier are you using?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • AT&T GoPhone

13 68.42%
  • Straight Talk

2 10.53%
  • Net10/RedPocket/H20 (comments)

1 5.26%
  • AIO Wireless

3 15.79%
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: AIO Wireless - My Review

Feedback Score
    Exactly! Aio let me choose the $40 plan after I input the IMEI for my Galaxy Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Like I said, if that's the case then fine. However, the advertising says 250MB at 4G speeds, then the throttle kicks in.

Not to mention if you go to their site, go to BYOD, then select an iPhone as your device and type in a valid iPhone IMEI, it gives you the $40 plan as a valid option to select for purchase.

If they don't want smartphones on the $40 plan, then don't let people who tell you they're bringing their own smartphone select the $40 plan for purchase! That's a no-brainer.

Sent from a device on a network.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rgraetz View Post
    I just signed up yesterday and ported 2 phones over to AIO. I did a few speed tests after the port and was getting 3 down and 1 up yesterday but today I am getting .12 down and 1 up so it looks like I am getting throttled now. This is a iPhone 4 on the $40 plan.
    How nice.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if this is iPhone specific or if it's for all smartphones?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YabbaDabaDoo View Post
    I wonder if this is iPhone specific or if it's for all smartphones?
    I'm going to try other phones later today. I just can't take the SIM out of the only other phone I have with me, my Verizon phone, to try (it has unlocked HSPA radios) as I need to be reachable at all times until 4:30 today.

Feedback Score
    Thank you clonehappy. And if it is an iPhone-only issue, I wonder if it has to do with the model or version of iOS?

I'm going to try other phones later today. I just can't take the SIM out of the only other phone I have with me, my Verizon phone, to try (it has unlocked HSPA radios) as I need to be reachable at all times until 4:30 today.

Feedback Score
    And another strange issue. When I send a mms it gets timestamped 21 hours earlier when it gets to the recipient.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to try other phones later today. I just can't take the SIM out of the only other phone I have with me, my Verizon phone, to try (it has unlocked HSPA radios) as I need to be reachable at all times until 4:30
    I'm a bit confused. You have 2 Aio sims, and they give you different speeds when put in the same iPhone? Have you deduced that the $40 plan doesn't give you high speed for the first 250 mb? Or, are you saying that after using your allotment, you're throttled below 256kbps? Or, are you saying there's a problem with the Aio network in your area?

I'm trying to figure out if you've discovered a problem, or if it's just disappointment that what was thought to be a loophole (using a smartphone on a feature phone plan) isn't really a loophole. If the latter is the case, that's consistent with ATT. You can't do it with GoPhone. If you put a feature phone plan sim in a smartphone, it will make calls, but the data portion won't work at all.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    lets get ready to rummmmmmmmmmmbleeeeeee

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afblangley View Post
    I'm a bit confused. You have 2 Aio sims, and they give you different speeds when put in the same iPhone? Have you deduced that the $40 plan doesn't give you high speed for the first 250 mb? Or, are you saying that after using your allotment, you're throttled below 256kbps? Or, are you saying there's a problem with the Aio network in your area?

I'm trying to figure out if you've discovered a problem, or if it's just disappointment that what was thought to be a loophole (using a smartphone on a feature phone plan) isn't really a loophole. If the latter is the case, that's consistent with ATT. You can't do it with GoPhone. If you put a feature phone plan sim in a smartphone, it will make calls, but the data portion won't work at all.
    I have 2 aio SIMs. The first (which is about to expire tomorrow) was on the $55 plan, and allowed the advertised 4G data speeds (2-4Mbit/sec) for the full 2GB allotment, at which time I was throttled to 256kbps. The advertised speed was achieved with that SIM regardless of what phone it was in (iPhone or otherwise).

The second SIM I received yesterday, as I wanted to port in my number so I bought a new SIM. I put it in the iPhone last night, made sure data/MMS, etc. worked but didn't run any speed tests as I was at home, and was using Wi-Fi to conserve the 250MB. I am still well under the 250MB cap. This morning, I noticed web pages were loading extremely slow and data was almost unusable. Every speed test maxes out at 128kbps download, even though I still get regular upload speeds.

Another forum member also reported that his iPhone on the $40 plan, which was working fine yesterday, is exhibiting the same behavior today. I am still trying to determine if they are throttling me for using the $40 plan on a smartphone, or because it's an iPhone, or if something is broken on their end. Either way, I am not getting the advertised 4G speeds BEFORE the 250MB cap. When I get back this evening, I will test my other AIO SIM to see if it is still providing the 256kbps (since I hit the cap), and I will test the new AIO SIM in multiple devices to see if there is any difference in speed.

The phone agents for AIO gave me lines of bullcrap every time I called, so I doubt I'll be calling them again unless I can figure out the concrete reason this is happening. Again, as I said, if I have to be on the $55 plan then fine, but don't sell me the $40 plan when I TOLD them I had smartphone then cripple it.

As I have stated in other posts, none of my phones are AT&T locked/branded, so I'm not really sure how they would know what phone is what anyway.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Updates:

Tested the $40 AIO Basic SIM in the following phones:

Sony Xperia E DUAL, same results as the iPhone 128kbps download/~1Mbps upload. This phone is factory unlocked/international version and supports AT&T HSPA bands.

Nokia Lumia 521, also same results. 128k/1M. This is a T-Mobile carrier unlocked phone that also supports AT&T HSPA bands.

HTC Rezound. Phone only supports EDGE, however EDGE speed test netted about the same speeds, obviously ping times were much higher. EDGE speed tests can usually net around 180-200kbps, and it appeared to be throttled at the same speed as the HSPA phones.

I also tried entering all phone make/model/IMEIs on the site, and all three phones let me choose AIO Basic as a plan option with 250MB of "high speed" data (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) and throttled after.

So I don't know what to conclude. I don't have any dumbphones that I can run a speed test with, so I couldn't say if it would be any better, but being that NONE of the phones I used should be in any AT&T database it's looking like the 250 Megs of high speed means 128k. I'd hate to see what the throttled speeds are on this plan if 128k is high speed.

Also, my $55 plan SIM that I hit the throttle on is still chugging along at 256k just like they advertise.

Feedback Score
    "...but being that NONE of the phones I used should be in any AT&T database..."

There must be a way AT&T checks/verifies smartphones on the $40 plan. What other explanation can there be? Especially since you're getting 256k on your throttled $55 plan.

Thank you for your work on this!
    Last edited by YabbaDabaDoo; 09-06-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Thank you

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure they can monitor useragent strings and model traffic to/from known speedtest sites to determine you're using a smartphone. And I'm sure their IMEI database is pretty comprehensive. The funny thing is, if you're familiar with the site, www.imei.info returns the IMEI from my Sony Xperia E as being a Motorola V8 SLVR dumbphone, so I'm not sure how accurate IMEI databases really are with international/unlocked GSM phones.

Oh well...not sure what I'm going to do next.

Feedback Score
    "Oh well...not sure what I'm going to do next."

Ditch the $40 plan.

Looks like I'm sticking with ST until I feel like spending the extra $ for GoPhone service.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I would pay an extra $15 in a heartbeat to bump-up to the $55 plan, but I'm sure they won't let me. Their customer service seems to be as useless as **** on a warthog, I'm sure I'll just get told to "buy a new SIM and start my plan over". It'll probably have to wait until the end of the month.

Feedback Score
    "I would pay an extra $15 in a heartbeat to bump-up to the $55 plan, but I'm sure they won't let me."

If you don't mind the punishment of dealing with CSR's, you could ask to bump your plan up, right?

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast