Thread: Go Phone $60 p/m Prepaid Rip Off

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Go Phone $60 p/m Prepaid Rip Off

When will AT&T charge a decent price for the pay monthly consumer . $60 a month plus taxes is too much for a lot of people today. As usual the poor among us are left in the slow lane when it comes to services that are affordable !

When Straight Talk and Walmart can make similar offering some $15 a month less !

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcess View Post
    When will AT&T charge a decent price for the pay monthly consumer . $60 a month plus taxes is too much for a lot of people today. As usual the poor among us are left in the slow lane when it comes to services that are affordable !

When Straight Talk and Walmart can make similar offering some $15 a month less !
    No they cannot. And $60 for UNLIMITED Talk and Text + International text and 2GB is dirt cheap..... For us contract paying customer, a single line bill can start at $90 a month.

You get for what you pay, and with Wal-Mart and ST, you get CRAP CS, and undefined limits like the *Unlimited* data BS plus no access to LTE.

Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    Well use those services and tell us how you like them after 6 months. Many of the new customers of this $60 plan are coming from Straight Talk. The $60 plan includes LTE data speeds, something ST does not offer. Straight Talk using an ATT sim is far from unlimited and many get throttled at 1GB and when they throttle its not just slow, it's an unusable 50kbps slow. Also have fun dealing with Straight Talk customer service.

GoPhone has always been on the more expensive side of the prepaid market but their service is good and customer service has always been better. I do agree $60 is on the high side but you can easily shave 10% and not have to pay taxes by purchasing refills from web retailers. CallingMart regular gives 10% coupon codes.

If you are truly cheap, why don't you go for the TMobile $30/month plan and just use voip on it.

Feedback Score
    I'm using AIO Wireless.. they provide me with LTE Speeds.. although the website says they're throttled to no more than 8mbs download speed. Does GoPhone do that? Or is it the real deal. You're right you get what you pay for. I pay 55 a month for this at 2gb a month. And I can get 7gb for 70. Def. Higher but at this point. . How can you go wrong with AT&T.

Sent with the HoFo App

Phone
    GN3|S4|One|iPhone5S
    Feedback Score

Yeah, ST and Walmart offer it because they use TMobile's pathetic excuse of a network.

You have to pay up for quality. Simple as that.

- sent from Galaxy S4
    T-Mobile™: The carrier with the the worst reliability, data performance, call performance and text performance nationwide! -RootMetrics™ Go Uncarrier!!

Phone History (from 2011): Galaxy Note 3, GS4, HTC One, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, XPERIA Z, GNII (x3), Nexus 4, Optimus G, Lumia 920, iPhone 5, GSIII (x2), One X, Galaxy Nexus, Lumia 900, GSII Skyrocket, GSII

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Lumia 521
    Carrier
    T-Mobile $70 Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
    Well use those services and tell us how you like them after 6 months. Many of the new customers of this $60 plan are coming from Straight Talk. The $60 plan includes LTE data speeds, something ST does not offer. Straight Talk using an ATT sim is far from unlimited and many get throttled at 1GB and when they throttle its not just slow, it's an unusable 50kbps slow. Also have fun dealing with Straight Talk customer service.

GoPhone has always been on the more expensive side of the prepaid market but their service is good and customer service has always been better. I do agree $60 is on the high side but you can easily shave 10% and not have to pay taxes by purchasing refills from web retailers. CallingMart regular gives 10% coupon codes.

If you are truly cheap, why don't you go for the TMobile $30/month plan and just use voip on it.
    I used Straight Talk earlier this year. It sucked. The att.mvno APN is vast inferior to the wap.cingular or phone APNs. You have a low priority so everyone and their mother got their request processed before you. In a crowded room this could mean that your data connection is virtually non-existent. Plus no LTE. Least with gophone you get the same priority as postpaid users and LTE. Plus you can usually find refills for cheaper than $60.

Also had the T-Mobile $30 plan. It's ok in urban areas but sucks outside the suburbs, EDGE or GPRS only.

Phone
    Galaxy S4, ZTE Sonata
    Carrier
    VZW 4G Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    As is the case with most things in life I guess.

If it's too much money don't buy it plain and simple. It can be had for 54.00 a month using online refills.

Don't start a thread whining because your broke, this plan is a steal compared to postpaid.

Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was gonna say the same thing.. Its a dang good deal.. if i needed a plan, i would get this.

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
    Yeah, ST and Walmart offer it because they use TMobile's pathetic excuse of a network.

You have to pay up for quality. Simple as that.

- sent from Galaxy S4
    T-Mobile isn't horrible everywhere.. It's working good for me in the two most desolate states in America, Texas and Alabama :LOLUP:

Phones
    too many to list
    virgin mobile blackberry curve 8530
    Page Plus Droid X2 and Droid 3
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure what the problem is but 60 an month for unlimited and 2gb of lte is dam good if you ask me, with discount's on pins it as little as 57 an month, If you can't afford that you might want to use pay as you go.
    Sent from my HTC 8X via the HowardForums WP7 App
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

You get what you pay for. If anything you would expect to get crappy service for $60 on go phone, but it's quite awesome. $60 is very reasonable to me, especially after paying close to double that for one line for years.

Straight talk, btw, sucks badly IMO, I hated them while I had them. Just go on their facebook page and you will see tons and tons of complaints. If you don't use data, and if you have an iphone and don't need MMS then they may work decently.

By the way you can avoid taxes, well not avoid but roll them into the $60, if you use the kiosk in the ATT stores. You end up paying exactly $60 and att eats the taxes. With straight talk if you buy from them you pay taxes on top of the $45, making a typical bill about $48. So in essence the difference isn't even $15, it's really closer to $12. Additionally it's much easier to find discounted go phone refills than straight talk. With no coupons, and available anytime I can easily find go phone refills for 5-10% off, and those are tax free. Straight talk you have a bunch of ebay sellers, many whom will rip you off, there are a few decent ones like gamekeyplanet but their discounts vary wildly, a couple days ago I think it was $3-$4/month you could save with a 3 month card from him.

I think what sold me on go phone versus straight talk was comparing customer service. If I had an issue with ST it would be days and days trying to fix it over email, or I could spend hours on hold over the phone and eventually talk to a tech who barely spoke any english, and with either situation they would end up with a solution like "sorry, we don't officially support MMS on the iphone, too bad". In contrast I've had to call go phone once when my data was slightly wonky, literally 2 minute hold time, a very nice english speaking CSR reset my APN and gave me instructions which worked, and he even called me back 30 minutes later to make sure my data was still working. On top of that ATT asked me over text message to rate how I liked that CSR and how they handled the situation. Seems to me that ATT is bending over backwards to provide good customer service on Prepaid.
    iPhone 5 !!

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by insomniac23 View Post
    I'm using AIO Wireless.. they provide me with LTE Speeds.. although the website says they're throttled to no more than 8mbs download speed. Does GoPhone do that? Or is it the real deal. You're right you get what you pay for. I pay 55 a month for this at 2gb a month. And I can get 7gb for 70. Def. Higher but at this point. . How can you go wrong with AT&T.

Sent with the HoFo App
    You didn't mention that AIO is only in very limited areas, so can you respond with a zip code that is in their area. I would like to see the prices, just in case it hits the NE States.
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your info, SpineDoc. As I'm about to move two iphones from ST to GoPhone, it's nice to know about the good CS and the legit bargain refills. The phones are 4S so no LTE; however, just to have a phone that is really supported (think sim swap on a regular basis) will be great. We don't get LTE in our area, anyway.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand why all the negativity on ST. It's $15 cheaper (on paper) and that can add up if you have 2 or 3 people. You get what you pay for.. It's not like 1 is bad and the other is good. The $60 value is great for what it is and the $45 value is great for what IT is. We are still on ST and is the latency sucky? Yes do we have to toggle on and off sometimes? Yes and do we have to swap sims to get mms? Yes. ..... But are we paying $45? Yes....

Feedback Score
    I'm in zip code 33993. Decent pricing. Lil on the high side compared to usual prepaid... but my service is 55/month unlimited talk text and 2gb of LTE

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast