Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Pre-Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Pre-Release Thread

Please use this Pre-Release Thread to discuss the new Motorola DROID Ultra, DROID MAXX, and Droid Mini.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Meet-...D-mini_id45621

http://www.droiddoes.com/

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Are these Droids considered high end? If yes they are high end in terms of what? Should the system architecture be considered high end, or revolutionary (in the smartphone realm of course)?

Feedback Score
    :thumbdown:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Looks like microSD

Ultra: 16GB storage NO microSD

Maxx: 32GB storage NO microSD

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gbh2 View Post
    Looks like microSD

Ultra: 16GB storage NO microSD

Maxx: 32GB storage NO microSD
    Has this been confirmed by anyone?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    Has this been confirmed by anyone?
    Not officially that I know of.

I was just looking at them in my Verizon upgrade section. Thought I might get the MAXX.

It just stated Internal storage sizes and did not mention microSD or expandability in the detailed Specs section and nothing I have been reading today mentioned anything about microSD.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    These Droids are not made in the good 'ol US of A. Not that it matters though (or does it?).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-M...e-U.S._id45634

Is there any word on the GPU of these phones?

Feedback Score
    If this remains true for most Motos that cements me as a Samsung customer. Even if there is s rare product with mSD compatible with some network I am using I'll avoid Moto for just not being consistent about offering this as a standard feature on their devices as it has been for awhile until now.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There is no external sdcard support in the build.prop for these devices as well as no mention on any official specs page, so I am going to say it's not there and may come on a later model. OBAKE is the internal name for the MAXX and it does not have external sdcard support, that much I am certain of.

Wish I was wrong...
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    These Droids are not made in the good 'ol US of A. Not that it matters though (or does it?).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-M...e-U.S._id45634

Is there any word on the GPU of these phones?
    It's not really been confirmed, but it seems the suggestions this is S4 Pro with adreno 320 are sorta true. It's just that this is a custom SoC with other compute stuff added that doesn't come on any standard qualcomm parts. But the whole 100% more gpu compute would point to adreno 320.

Feedback Score
    Well then, goodbye Motorola.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    There is no external sdcard support in the build.prop for these devices as well as no mention on any official specs page, so I am going to say it's not there and may come on a later model. OBAKE is the internal name for the MAXX and it does not have external sdcard support, that much I am certain of.

Wish I was wrong...
    It really seems google taking over isn't such a great deal. More spying and reduction in local storage options on the first products they probably had some level of influence on.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    They all have the same SoC and Motorola has always used custom SoCs, this is just an evolutionary leap they are taking and the X8 branding is largely semantics.

The last generation M/HD/Maxx devices were the outliers and were a departure from their standard practice of non reference hybrid chip set devices using the S4 MSM8960 off the shelf part.

I think it's a very exciting return to their roots and am eager to see how it plays out.

I won't likely be getting any of the Droid branded models but will get a 32GB Moto X when they arrive.

Feedback Score
    The hybrid chip with only 2 high power cores and other low power offload cores is smart and was sorta mentioned before in leaks. The lack of mSD and seemingly HDMI is a bit more frustrating particularly if it was all to hit some thicknesses. Atleast put them in the Maxx particularly if it's going to be a separate and fatter device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    They all have the same SoC and Motorola has always used custom SoCs, this is just an evolutionary leap they are taking and the X8 branding is largely semantics.

The last generation M/HD/Maxx devices were the outliers and were a departure from their standard practice of non reference hybrid chip set devices using the S4 MSM8960 off the shelf part.

I think it's a very exciting return to their roots and am eager to see how it plays out.

I won't likely be getting any of the Droid branded models but will get a 32GB Moto X when they arrive.
    But what's the deal with these two extra cores for contextual computing and natural language? Are they provided by QCOM? Are they "small" cores (A7 for instance) that Moto integrated with the system design?

Is this X8 mobile computing system being manufactured in a foundry as an entire custom SoC?

EDIT: also what do you mean by Motorola has always used custom SoCs? Didn't Moto used to use OMAP APs?
    Last edited by jo_Ny; 07-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast