Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Pre-Release Thread

Feedback Score
    All they are saying is that they are extreme low power and pretty task/sensor/component specific controller proprietary cores. May not even be app processors at all so much as some sorta dsp/asic sorta stuff to do real specific stuff that couldn't really be changed much in software or software hacking later. We'll see....guessing more will be explained by someone at some point.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I hope some clarification arrives quickly. I didn't even see Motorola hyping the SoC as octa or eight cores or anything else, but Moto is already taking heat from some of the so called "tech media", saying that this is another marketing move like samsung did with the exynos octa.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    They all have the same SoC and Motorola has always used custom SoCs, this is just an evolutionary leap they are taking and the X8 branding is largely semantics.

The last generation M/HD/Maxx devices were the outliers and were a departure from their standard practice of non reference hybrid chip set devices using the S4 MSM8960 off the shelf part.

I think it's a very exciting return to their roots and am eager to see how it plays out.

I won't likely be getting any of the Droid branded models but will get a 32GB Moto X when they arrive.
    People often don't realize that overall SoC architecture is more important than just things like "dual-core" or "quad-core" or "clock speed". There will probably be a few people running around saying they have an 8-core phone, lol. I will be interested to see the performance of these new SoC's.

I am going to pass on the new Droid line as well. I may check out a Moto X, if the price is right (I need to pay full price to keep my unlimited)

Hopefully Moto-Google will be coming out with something exceptional in the future or I may need to start looking at Samsung to replace my Bionic.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=jasaero;15188802]It really seems google taking over isn't such a great deal. More spying .../QUOTE]

Duh, who created MotoBlur?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    I am guessing a removable battery won't be seen on any of these models either.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Feedback Score
    Little SoC similarities tidbit I noticed between these new Motos and the new Nokia 1020. Seems they did some mods to the S4 SoC also to run the 41mp stuff on it rathere than using a dedicated chip like the 808. Would really like to see some other players try bigger sensors and more manual control in phones like this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7142/s...-camera-system

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Surely Google must – does – know that the lack of SD and pullable batteries is affecting sales. And, more significantly, is also hurting prestige and popularity, and at precisely the time that motogoo is seeking to reestablish its place in the cellular marketplace.

What, then, is so important that Google is willingly taking that hit? A little production cost advantage does NOT resonate. There is a bigger and – more importantly – broader ulterior motive here. Has to be.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Google wants to replace SD usage with online storage. Their long term goals are to migrate EVERYTHING possible to online solutions. Chrome OS for instance.

The battery situation helps with planned obsolescence.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Surely Google must – does – know that the lack of SD and pullable batteries is affecting sales. And, more significantly, is also hurting prestige and popularity, and at precisely the time that motogoo is seeking to reestablish its place in the cellular marketplace.

What, then, is so important that Google is willingly taking that hit? A little production cost advantage does NOT resonate. There is a bigger and – more importantly – broader ulterior motive here. Has to be.
    It seems everyone except customers like this trend I think. Even Samsung must or I figure they would have pushed out more 64gb built in options by now. They offer mSD, but know many will never utilize it much. I think there is a vast expanse of various motives/factors coming from all angles playing into this. I don't like any of it though.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    It seems everyone except customers like this trend …
    You said a mouthful there!

When it stops being about satisfying the consumer, what the hell Is it then?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post
    Google wants to replace SD usage with online storage. Their long term goals are to migrate EVERYTHING possible to online solutions. Chrome OS for instance.

The battery situation helps with planned obsolescence.

Sent with the HoFo App
    I believe you are right about the "why". The problem is with unlimited plans going the way of the "Dodo bird" nobody wants to stream a ton of data from "the cloud". Also, with the cameras finally improving enough to be useful - who would want a camera without removable storage?

Now if Google wants to get into the wireless provider business and start offering unlimited data plans dirt cheap maybe I will get on board with what "they want".

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post

Please use this Pre-Release Thread to discuss the new Motorola DROID Ultra, DROID MAXX, and Droid Mini.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Meet-...D-mini_id45621

http://www.droiddoes.com/

Add:

http://cdn.motorola-2.com/us/en/moto.../index-g3.html

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Surely Google must – does – know that the lack of SD and pullable batteries is affecting sales.
    Is it? Does the typical buyer even care? By typical, I mean the general walk-in cell phone user who could not find HowardForums in a high-dollar-reward Bing comparison test.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Is it? Does the typical buyer even care? By typical, I mean the general walk-in cell phone user who could not find HowardForums in a high-dollar-reward Bing comparison test.
    I think it is to a decent degree. I think the consistent differentiation in this area from Apple by Samsung is noticed and plays into their level of success. It's a very ovious and physical difference also that any layman will pick up on pretty quick if they see a sim install require a backplate removal and then see the removable battery and mSD slot along side the sim. Moto atleast had the mSD up until now. OG Samsung galaxy versions happened with very little success in the era when NO ONE other than apple had yet dropped these things as standard features. It has played to Samsungs favor almost certainly. They may have been pretty strong even dominant regardless, but to a lesser degree to be sure.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I think it is to a decent degree. I think the consistent differentiation in this area from Apple by Samsung is noticed and plays into their level of success. It's a very ovious and physical difference also that any layman will pick up on pretty quick if they see a sim install require a backplate removal and then see the removable battery and mSD slot along side the sim. Moto atleast had the mSD up until now. OG Samsung galaxy versions happened with very little success in the era when NO ONE other than apple had yet dropped these things as standard features. It has played to Samsungs favor almost certainly. They may have been pretty strong even dominant regardless, but to a lesser degree to be sure.
    I agree with you. I considered getting an iPhone 1 but the lack of removable battery and microSD were a huge turn off so that when the OG Droid was offered it was a "no brainer" for me.

Why MotoGoogle thinks the smart money is on becoming more like the iPhone (losing market share) vs. Being more like Samsung (gaining market share) is beyond me.

I think these phones sell fine. However, over time I think it will not be good for Motorola.

I think many of us "power users" or "phone fanatics" that have been Motorola fans for a long time have been migrating to other brands. I don't think it is just losing our sales that will hurt Moto. I am sure many of us are the ones that people come to to ask "What smartphone do I get?" In the past my answer has always been a vehement "Buy Motorola because they have the best radios and all around solid hardware"(implicit in this was not having to do things like send your phone in for an expensive repair because of a battery problem). With people making less actual phone calls, and better cell coverage all the time (and the fact that I recently bought a used Samsung Galaxy mp3 player (nice!)) as of right now I would probably just tell them to get a SG4.

Additionally, I could easily see many of the people buying these phones, especially the 16GB versions, down the road getting the annoying message "You have insufficient storage to add this app" or to add music or images or whatever. This may very well be the first time they ever even thought about "expandable memory" but it is agravating and something that people remember and that will influence their future phone choices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast