Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Motorola DROID Ultra, MAXX, and Mini Pre-Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Is it? Does the typical buyer even care? By typical, I mean the general walk-in cell phone user who could not find HowardForums in a high-dollar-reward Bing comparison test.
    Snowden did more than first meets the eye. People are looking a little deeper into corporate motives now.

But, to bring a dollop of logic into the mix, yes, essentially you're correct that the cellular hoi polloi generally won't understand what's up – at first. But, gbh2's post above explains very ably why the basic point that these omissions do adversely affect sales holds true in spite of that fact.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-26-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    … So —
    The question remains:
    "What, then, is so important that Google is willingly taking that hit? A little production cost advantage does NOT resonate. There is a bigger and – more importantly – broader ulterior motive here. Has to be."

To me, it seems at least a partial answer is that Google is trying to to engineer, to retool, Walt's "typical buyer". That-Is-To-Say, Google doesn't want to *give* the customer what he wants, rather Google is trying to *tell* the customer what he wants: 'Vee haf w a z e uff mecking gyou buy ziss phone.'

Hint: I've discovered that in JB4.2.2 Google maps has no useful features until you enable location services — even if your current location has nothing whatsoever to do with the app function. In JB4.2.2, the Google calendar app won't accept *any* events until you link it to an account – ‘the better to sync you with, my dear.' In JB4.2.2 the "People" contacts app now simply informs you that your contacts "will be synced". And, of course, as we already knew, you can't buy a paid app from the PlayPlace without opening a Google Wallet account. Anyone see a pattern?

This progressive sealing off of non-Google-$erving alternatives in Android may factor into the purchasing choices of potential buyers of these three upcoming handsets.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.

Feedback Score
    The charm of Android is being killed off. If i wanted an iPhone I would simply buy an iPhone. When the hell is ubuntu touch going to be widely available?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    It looks like UT, FFOS, and probably Tizen, too, are taking the third-world entry route. Originally, the first UT handset was cued for October, I think, but now may get pushed back to Q1.

I believe F₣OS is operational at some level, at least the apps can be dl-ed to FF browser. Sprint is partnering. The Web app based OS approach is theoretically sound but may not be very practical on an internet saturated – bloated, even – with malware and spyware.

Windows Phone keeps looking more and more viable. But I really don't want to give up my Firefox, especially now that it's working so well. I can heartily recommend FF mobile — finally. Check out the 'Self destructing Cookies' add-on. Brilliant, and a real eye-opener!
    ~~~~~

Posted in the old "pretty quiet" thread:

Quote Originally Posted by seoword View Post
    http://www.androidauthority.com/rumo...uly-29-249826/

The article clearly admits this is rumor and they aren't trying to dispute the reported Aug 23rd Verizon release date. But we could be seeing actual devices around the time of the Aug 1 reveal announcement.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 07-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Based on the articles I've seen, Motorola continues the tradition of having the ugliest home screens in the business. Hopefully, this is the last chapter and X will represent a change.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    The Moto X has today delivered its own dose of disappointment by default. Even customization materialized only as a mangled mess on the transporter pad — four-fifths of that vaunted feature having vanished in the void.

The low-key tone at the release event was suitable. Nothing to shout about.

Ugly screens in the eye of the beholder. I'd expect all four new Motos to have excellent build and feel, and superlative radio reception. That's a great foundation to build on. Unfortunately, not many of US relish living in a ticky-tacky row house — and even fewer buy based on the quality of the foundation.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 08-02-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I got in the Droid Ultra demo unit today, so the review should be up the first of the week.
    It's a nice phone, but wish it had a microSD slot, and that it wasn't glossy (fingerprints).
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Please continue to the Release Thread:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...Release-Thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3