Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Are these "CDMA-V" iPhones at Wal-Mart on Verizon?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,050
    Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0

    Are these "CDMA-V" iPhones at Wal-Mart on Verizon?

    I'd never seen this before today...

    http://www.walmart.com/browse/no-con...ler_subcat:off

    These phones show "CDMA-V"...does that mean they use Verizon?

    Is anyone having problems with Straight Talk dumping them for too much data use or the like, as I've heard in the past?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,168
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwolf View Post
    I'd never seen this before today...

    http://www.walmart.com/browse/no-con...ler_subcat:off

    These phones show "CDMA-V"...does that mean they use Verizon?

    Is anyone having problems with Straight Talk dumping them for too much data use or the like, as I've heard in the past?
    yes, they are on verizon prepaid non roaming network, 3G only no LTE. people are having problems with data being turned off for excessive use.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,050
    Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Okay, thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,263
    Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    0
    that is printed on the lower left hand corner of the package to tell you what carrier the phone uses. to see it used on the website it may have been costing them returns.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    294
    Feedback Score
    0
    According to the Straight Talk iPhone page its native verizon coverage. According to the Net10 page, it appears they use specifically use postpaid coverage. FWIW if you do the math comparing to Verizon with the subsidized iPhone you save about $50 over a 2local year period. Hardly seems worth it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    731
    Phones
    HTC Ozone
    iPhone
    HTC One V
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
    According to the Straight Talk iPhone page its native verizon coverage. According to the Net10 page, it appears they use specifically use postpaid coverage. FWIW if you do the math comparing to Verizon with the subsidized iPhone you save about $50 over a 2local year period. Hardly seems worth it.
    I'm not sure of the math there. My numbers came up much differently:

    Straight Talk Service: $1,080 ($45*24)
    Straight Talk iPhone 5: $650
    Total: $1,730

    Verizon Service (Unl. T/T & 2gb data): $2,400 ($100 *24)
    Verizon iPhone 5: $200
    Total: $2,600

    That comes out to $870 difference over two years. That's not factoring in available discounts (Straight Talk cards can be had for approximate $35 a month, Verizon offers employer discounts) or taxes (if paying full retail about 9% on ST, about 19% Verizon) -- you can also get $50 off the VZW iphone some places and 22-30% cash back on the ST iphone online but i ignored those differences for the sake of simplicity. With ST you have the fear of data being cut off (never happened to me on the VZW side, knock on wood) and with VZW post-paid you have to worry about data overage ($15 per gig with 1kb over 2GB of usage triggering a new $15 block)

    For my situation, ST would be about $1,100 less when it's all said and done which is a huge amount to me. I do trade off (potentially) expanded coverage, faster data, and have to deal with some ST issues but overall that's worth it to me.

    The most simple way to think about it when comparing post-paid is the ST iPhone adds about $19 a month to the price of ST plans. ($650 vs. $200 = $450 divided by 24= $18.75). So the closer your Verizon plan is to $64 a month the less the savings will be vs. ST. I personally paid $420 for my used iPhone 5 and buy 3 month eBay cards so my cost to compare is much less.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,934
    Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes. Net10/StraightTalk etc, they have CDMA-V (Verizon), CDMA-S (Sprint), GSM-A (AT&T) and GSM-T (T-Mobile.)

    Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,050
    Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks guys! This is pretty tempting, though I ALSO just found out about AT&T finally offering any phones on their pre-paid service, and their coverage seems a lot better now where I am. Hmm...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    294
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by deathcab View Post
    I'm not sure of the math there. My numbers came up much differently:

    Straight Talk Service: $1,080 ($45*24)
    Straight Talk iPhone 5: $650
    Total: $1,730

    Verizon Service (Unl. T/T & 2gb data): $2,400 ($100 *24)
    Verizon iPhone 5: $200
    Total: $2,600

    That comes out to $870 difference over two years. That's not factoring in available discounts (Straight Talk cards can be had for approximate $35 a month, Verizon offers employer discounts) or taxes (if paying full retail about 9% on ST, about 19% Verizon) -- you can also get $50 off the VZW iphone some places and 22-30% cash back on the ST iphone online but i ignored those differences for the sake of simplicity. With ST you have the fear of data being cut off (never happened to me on the VZW side, knock on wood) and with VZW post-paid you have to worry about data overage ($15 per gig with 1kb over 2GB of usage triggering a new $15 block)

    For my situation, ST would be about $1,100 less when it's all said and done which is a huge amount to me. I do trade off (potentially) expanded coverage, faster data, and have to deal with some ST issues but overall that's worth it to me.

    The most simple way to think about it when comparing post-paid is the ST iPhone adds about $19 a month to the price of ST plans. ($650 vs. $200 = $450 divided by 24= $18.75). So the closer your Verizon plan is to $64 a month the less the savings will be vs. ST. I personally paid $420 for my used iPhone 5 and buy 3 month eBay cards so my cost to compare is much less.

    $100 is waaaaay to much for Verizon. Everyone is now getting unlimited talk/text and 2 gb data for $60 + around $10 in taxes depending on state. It is $70/month per line for us is what it was going to come to.

    Straight Talk/Net10 was around $92 including taxes for two lines so around $45/month with the family plan.

    $70 * 24 = $1680 + device cost
    $45 * 24 = $1080 + device cost

    You can see there is about a $600 difference in cost, which is almost equal to the ST iPhone cost differential. You're talking maybe $50-$100 difference maybe, over 2 years, plus you get LTE with Verizon.

    Of course, this assumes you want the latest and greatest phone. I'm happy with my Droid X2's and am porting them to Net10's family plan shortly as I just test ran a ST service month and it was good. For us, the ST/Net10 makes sense as I don't intend on buying a fancy pants iPhone any time soon!

    YMMV

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
    $100 is waaaaay to much for Verizon. Everyone is now getting unlimited talk/text and 2 gb data for $60 + around $10 in taxes depending on state. It is $70/month per line for us is what it was going to come to.

    Straight Talk/Net10 was around $92 including taxes for two lines so around $45/month with the family plan.

    $70 * 24 = $1680 + device cost
    $45 * 24 = $1080 + device cost

    You can see there is about a $600 difference in cost, which is almost equal to the ST iPhone cost differential. You're talking maybe $50-$100 difference maybe, over 2 years, plus you get LTE with Verizon.

    Of course, this assumes you want the latest and greatest phone. I'm happy with my Droid X2's and am porting them to Net10's family plan shortly as I just test ran a ST service month and it was good. For us, the ST/Net10 makes sense as I don't intend on buying a fancy pants iPhone any time soon!

    YMMV
    Verizon post paid 2 GB plan $60 vs ST unlimited data plan $45.

    I know, I know, ST is not really unlimited data... accept when it really is. Like in the case of every member of my family and extended family including several teenagers (with iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3) who use their phones like every other teenagers.. all the time.. and no one in my family, after between two-three years, has every had their data cut off or throttled or any warnings given from ST for using too much data.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    294
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    Verizon post paid 2 GB plan $60 vs ST unlimited data plan $45.

    I know, I know, ST is not really unlimited data... accept when it really is. Like in the case of every member of my family and extended family including several teenagers (with iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3) who use their phones like every other teenagers.. all the time.. and no one in my family, after between two-three years, has every had their data cut off or throttled or any warnings given from ST for using too much data.

    Are you intentionally ignoring the device cost? If so why? Why did you quote my post? Did you even read it?

    The iPhone 5 is a $650 retail phone. Perhaps you bought it slightly used. Perhaps you didn't. Either way the price is going to be close to that. Apples to apples here...

    $650 over 2 years adds $27/MONTH to the price of the ST/Net10 plans
    Verizon iPhone 5 is $200, adding $8.33 to the price of the plan

    Over the course of two years you've spent maybe $120 at most more than the Straight Talk plan, and you have better everything. Coverage (if needed, can roam in other countries), data speed (LTE), customer service, etc. You're literally talking about splitting hairs at that point in cost difference.

    Now, when you do what I did and buy an older X2 off ebay for $70, Straight Talk/Net10 makes sense, and that is why I'll be switching to them once my test month is done. I've compared it side by side with my post-paid Verizon account and it's very good for the price.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
    Are you intentionally ignoring the device cost? If so why? Why did you quote my post? Did you even read it?

    The iPhone 5 is a $650 retail phone. Perhaps you bought it slightly used. Perhaps you didn't. Either way the price is going to be close to that. Apples to apples here...

    $650 over 2 years adds $27/MONTH to the price of the ST/Net10 plans
    Verizon iPhone 5 is $200, adding $8.33 to the price of the plan

    Over the course of two years you've spent maybe $120 at most more than the Straight Talk plan, and you have better everything. Coverage (if needed, can roam in other countries), data speed (LTE), customer service, etc. You're literally talking about splitting hairs at that point in cost difference.

    Now, when you do what I did and buy an older X2 off ebay for $70, Straight Talk/Net10 makes sense, and that is why I'll be switching to them once my test month is done. I've compared it side by side with my post-paid Verizon account and it's very good for the price.

    Maybe I'm missing something. Are we talking about the same plan? If not I apologies. Is it the Verizon unlimited talk and text 2gb data post paid $60 plan? There's an additional $40 monthly per device fee, plus the the small print...


    http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...verything.html

    "an account with 1 Smartphone and a monthly allowance of Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text and 2GB of data would cost $100 per month, not including taxes and surcharges"

    So with taxes and fees we're talking well over $100 a month for the "$60" plan. Am I missing something?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    294
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie500 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. Are we talking about the same plan? If not I apologies. Is it the Verizon unlimited talk and text 2gb data post paid $60 plan? There's an additional $40 monthly per device fee, plus the the small print...


    http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...verything.html

    "an account with 1 Smartphone and a monthly allowance of Unlimited Talk, Unlimited Text and 2GB of data would cost $100 per month, not including taxes and surcharges"

    So with taxes and fees we're talking well over $100 a month for the "$60" plan. Am I missing something?
    Yes. It is an unpublished plan.

    Unlimited mins, texts, and 2 gb data for $60/month plus taxes/fees. For us in NC it came to $70/month per line. They are individual lines, no additional device fees. It is for a smartphone and you get subsidized contract pricing on the phones.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,050
    Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
    Yes. It is an unpublished plan.

    Unlimited mins, texts, and 2 gb data for $60/month plus taxes/fees. For us in NC it came to $70/month per line. They are individual lines, no additional device fees. It is for a smartphone and you get subsidized contract pricing on the phones.
    Wait, what? What you're describing sounds like their prepaid plan.

    Are you saying Verizon will let you do a contract, with terms identical to the prepaid plan, let you do LTE phones, only you get the $450 off subsidized phone and 2 year contract?!?

    That's...actually reasonable.

    And fees amount to 'just' $10/month, not the more typical 25% mark up?

    Is this nationwide? What do you ask for?

    If this is for real, I bet my mom would be interested in it at the least, and maybe I would be as well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    989
    Phones
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Galaxy Express
    Note 2
    Carriers
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    yes, they are on verizon prepaid non roaming network, 3G only no LTE. people are having problems with data being turned off for excessive use.
    Interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 02:07 AM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 10:11 PM
  5. Are these signs of a CDMA conversion in progress?
    By jfr3021 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2002, 12:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks